You are on page 1of 4

Derek Lipton NFSC386 E-health Study Report During visits #1 and #4, participants would receive an accelerometer, food

log and activity log. I would instruct them on how to wear the accelerometer, as well as how to keep proper food and activity logs. We would then schedule the next visit. Afterward, I would send out reminder emails to each participant, letting them know when their visit was, as well as a few things to remembersuch as fasting, food logs and wearing the accelerometer. When there were no visits scheduled, I would help out by inputting and checking data in the program online. This data includes all the measurements taken during the other visits. Each visit #2, 3 and 5 started out by collecting the participants accelerometer, plugging it into the Actigraph program and checking the graphs with the activity log to make sure there were no errors. Then, I would review their 3-day food diary. This involved going through each food item listed to make sure they recorded the correct preparation method and serving size. Additionally, I used a booklet and actual measuring cups to help gauge measurements that the participants were unsure of. Upon arrival, female participants were also asked to provide a urine sample. This was then taken to the lab room for a pregnancy test. This was necessary because a positive pregnancy test would exclude the participant from the bioelectrical impedance assessment, due to possible dangers to the fetus. For this, I would use a simple homepregnancy test stick. After making sure to wear a protective lab coat and latex gloves, I would dip the test stick in the urine sample for a few seconds until the stick showed a symbol. After this, I held the stick in the air at an angle, with the tip facing down. A few

minutes later, the result would show up (every test came back negative). Next, I would safely discard of the pregnancy test and pour the urine sample down the drain with running water and 10% bleach solution and then sterilized and discarded the container. Finally, I sterilized the container-holder and counter and washed my hands, in order to prevent the spreading of any bacteria. Following the pregnancy test (or food logs for males), I would assist with the anthropometric and clinical measurements. Each measurement underwent three trials, and there were always at least two researchers, to assure complete accuracy. The first measurement was weight, which was done on a digital scale. Next, a stadiometer was used to measure height. The participant stood with his/her back to the wall, and I made sure that their heels, gluteus and shoulder blades were all touching the wall. Additionally, I made sure the participants chin was forward so that the head was straight in the Frankfort position. After this, I would assist in measuring body circumferences using a tape measurer at four different points. First, I measured the circumference of the neck. Unlike the other circumference measurements, the tape measurer was not parallel to the ground, since the neck is shorter in the front than the back. Next, I would locate the narrowest part of the abdomen region to measure the first waist circumference. Third, I would poke to find the pelvic bone and measure the super-iliac waist circumference. Finally, I would find the widest area of the mid-section to measure the hip circumference. To measure blood pressure, participants sat down and placed their right forearm and elbow on the table. Then, I wrapped the cuff around the upper arm, with the bottom of the cuff placed one-half inch above the bend in the arm. After assuring proper placement of the cuff and relaxation of the participants arm, I pressed the start button on

the blood pressure monitor. The monitor would then take a calibration measurement, followed by three actual measurements. Once this was complete, I would remove the cuff and record the average systolic and diastolic blood pressure measurements, and the average pulse. Finally, I recorded these three values from each of the three individual measurements as well, for data purposes. After measuring blood pressure, I would ask the participant to lay down on the cot with their head at the near end, so that their right arm was closer to me. Next, I would run through the checklist of questions to make sure it was safe for the participant to undergo the bioelectrical impedance assessment (BIA). The exclusion criteria listed included pacemakers, arrhythmias, past seizures, caffeine or alcohol intake (within last twelve hours), food intake (within last four hours) and, for females, a positive pregnancy test. This list of questions also helped pass some time, since they need to lie down for at least ten minutes to allow the water to balance out throughout the body. Then, I plugged the four wires into the calibrator to collect the raw data. Then, if the participant was approved for the BIA, I then wiped four areas with an alcohol swabjust above the middle toe, middle of the ankle, just above the middle finger and in the middle of the wrist. This was done to clean the area as well as help the electrodes stick at these four locations. After placing the electrodes and attaching the corresponding colored wire to each, I plugged the participants information into the machine, which consisted of height, weight, age and genderall of which were obtained from the data sheet. Once all the data was input, I performed three measurements, each measuring the total fat-free mass (muscle), fat mass, total body water, extracellular water and intracellular water. After each measurement, I recorded that values for each, which consisted of the mass (in kg) as

well as the percentage of body weight (for the first three) or of the total body water (for the last two. After the participant finished the BIA, they filled out a questionnaire about the program. We supplied them with a snack and water, since they had not eaten for at least 4 hours (many of them for close to 12 for morning visits), and the last part of the visit was the Queens Step Test. This test was used to measure VO2max. The participants stepped up and down for three minutes at either 88 BPM (females) or 96 BPM (males). During the step test, participants were strapped with a heart rate monitor around the torso area. After the three minutes, I would read the heart rate on the watch that accompanies the monitor. The heart rate was later used to calculate VO2max using a given formula.

Related Interests