Sie sind auf Seite 1von 2

According to tradition, collected by Juan de Arona, that this church was a simple chapel attending the humble fishermen

and travelers, its origin is confused with the legend that gave birth to Barranco. What's the story? They say that, in the eighteenth century, he once left a group of fishermen to do their job but, as it was winter and fog covered the coast, became disoriented and lost several hours remained until, in the distance, they saw a "light" shining which went managing to reach the shore and saved. Approaching the site of the original light that had guided them, they saw that it was a cross. Since that time, it became a place of pilgrimage. The original chapel was built of adobe and thatch in the mid-eighteenth century, thanks to the benefactor Caicedo, a baker whose wife was devoted to the cross was venerated there. During the Pacific War, was sacked and burned by the invading army, was the January 14, 1881. Jos Antonio Del Busto Account: always heard, as something known by many, that the occupation of Barranco occurred between 7 and 9 am, immediately proceeded to ransack the Chilean population. Made theft, started the fire. Just then the invaders spared the chapel. His door was smashed with axes, then the soldiers came in search of booty. Not found, apart from the chalice, ciborium and custody-nothing of special value. Defrauded the looters brought firewood and stacked against the altars, damn spark burst and the Holocaust began. At the time of the chapel burned twilight, echoing. At 8 pm the fire of the sanctuary continued and produced a strange glow flames. An hour after the roof collapsed and then glows predominated amenguaron sparks and smoke. So passed the rest of the night ... The next morning the old chapel was just a set of walls blackened and charred beams with some smoke coming up heavily. From the altars and images nothing could save. With the high altar burned Santocristo image of Barranco, but nothing remarkable sculpture depicting the founding appearance Crucified. Everything was accomplished. Months later, in 1882, was rebuilt by the chaplain Manuel de la Fuente Chavez, through various donations and public collections. The walls were raised, the body and the arms of the new temple. Thus, the church being finished, the priest now De la Fuente and asked Barranco population, in 1900, that the church be converted into independent parish of Surco and Chorrillos vice-parish. The Archbishop accepted the request and the December 12, 1903, the elder De la Fuente was invested first pastor of the new parish of the Holy Cross of Barranco. The priest died in 1913 and, according to some witnesses, in the odor of sanctity, after his death, were attributed predictions and miracles. He was succeeded by Father James Rock, pastor from 1914 to 1937 who, they say, also died in the odor of sanctity. When there was an earthquake in 1940, the old chapel was affected, and he began to consider the need to move the parish to a new location that would build a much larger church. That was how, in 1942, he asked the Archbishop to authorize the project of a new parish church in the town square. The new church was consecrated list and June 1, 1963 by Archbishop John Landzuri. Currently, the Hermitage, located in the Bajada de los Baos, is in the process of deterioration, so that the proposal is part of an ambitious conservation project includes surrounding public space and the rescue of the occupied parts of the religious.

The Parque Municipal de Barranco was inaugurated on February 13, 1898, with Mayor Don Pedro Solari (1885-1899). Stresses the statue known as the "Danaide" candlestick "Barberini" and angels called "Puttis", all worked in Carrara marble. We also found a gazebo where bands and artists are encouraging cultural activities in the district. At the ends of this park we can find the Municipal Library, National Heritage considered by the then National Institute of Culture, in addition to Holy Cros s Church.