Sie sind auf Seite 1von 3

ARBOR DRIVE COMMUNITY CHURCH HISTORY

In the fall of 1958, Mr. William Elkin, a former pastor and state director of an
Omaha insurance company, came to York, Nebraska for the purpose of making
business calls. In an interview with a housewife he was told that she had no church
home in the town and she went on to say, What this church needs is a good Baptist
church. Mr. Elkin relayed this information to Rev. Elmer Logan of the First Baptist
Church of Polk who, along with Rev. Dean Thompson of the Southside Baptist Church of
Grand Island, came calling in York with the names of three former members of the Polk
congregation now residing in York. From these they obtained the names of others;
some of them banded together by a mutual interests in the work of Child Evangelism
Fellowship, and others who had been praying together for about a year for the opening
of some kind of evangelical work in York.

From the contacts made, a Bible study group was formed; the first one being
held on November 7, 1958. In January of 1959 our group rented the National Guard
Armory for the purpose of holding Sunday evening services led by Marvin Ecklund of
the Hordville Baptist Church.

In March of 1959 a joint call was issued by the Platte Valley Baptist Conference
(now known as Great Plains Baptist Conference) to Reverend Paul Lundgren to serve as
Field Missionary for the conference and part-time Pastor for the York Congregation.

An organizational meeting was held on November 18, 1959 at which time the
group voted to formally organize into the Arbor Drive Baptist Church affiliating with the
Baptist General Conference of America and the Platte Valley Baptist Conference. There
were 22 charter members.

A combination parsonage-chapel was built, the first floor to serve as living
quarters for the pastor and a chapel and classrooms to serve the congregation in the
basement. Construction was completed and first services were held there on April 24,
1960.

After serving the York church for two years Reverend Lundgren moved to Omaha
to plant a new church there. Reverend and Mrs. JB Tweter, former missionaries to
China, arrived in September 1961 to begin over seven years of Pastoral duties in York.
Under the leadership of Pastor Tweter a 24-hour prayer circle by the membership
resulted in a decision to build a sanctuary on Blackburn Avenue. At this time the church
had a membership of 44 and an average Sunday School attendance of 38. Financial
aid for the $45,000 cost of the building was obtained from the Revolving Building Trust
of the Baptist General Conference. First services were held there in May of 1964.

On December 11, 1968 the church voted by faith to drop their mission status and
become fully self-supporting. Pastor Tweter resigned in February of 1969 to assume a
pastorate in Arcadia, Nebraska. The York church was served by an interim pastor for
five months until the arrival of Reverend Rodney Sawtell.

Under Rev. Sawtells leadership the church celebrated its tenth anniversary with
a ceremony burning the $14,000 mortgage on the parsonage.

After three years Rev. Sawtell resigned and Reverend Alston Rasmussen arrived
in January of 73 to begin 10 years of ministry in York. During this time the work
expanded and summer youth ministers were employed to expand the youth program.
In 1980 a full time youth minister was hired. During this time an AWANA program was
started and a bus ministry was added to transport the children. Plans were drawn up
for an addition which included a large multi-purpose room as well as three offices, four
restrooms, an enlarged entry, and a kitchen. This successful ministry continued for
eight years until the leadership necessitated a move to other childrens ministries.

Numerous evangelistic meetings and concerts were held during the early years of
our church that resulted in decisions and additions to the church. The church once
used the services of Gods Invasion Army to do door to door surveys and evangelism.

Until December 1979 the church was led by the Pastor, a Board of Deacons, a
Board of Trustees, and a Board of Deaconesses. There was also a Womens Missionary
Society organization. In January 1980 a new governing body, consisting of the Board
of Elders including the Pastor came into being. In December of 1982, the Board of
Trustees was added. In 1983 the Womens Missionary Society was disbanded and
reorganized as the Womens Ministries under the guidance of a Womens Leadership
Team consisting of three ladies and the Pastors wife.

Reverend Rasmussen resigned in January of 1983 to assume a pastorate in
Rogers, Arkansas and in September of 1983 Reverend Michael Vanlaningham arrived in
York. During his tenure so many young couples began attending that the nursery
facilities had to be expanded. Our average Sunday morning attendance during this
time was 110. An Adventure Club for kids was started. After seven years, Reverend
Michael Vanlaningham resigned to begin his doctoral studies at Trinity Seminary.

In February of 1991 Pastor Curtis Holzworth began his ministry at Arbor Drive.
Due to increased attendance, we experimented with offering two morning services.
After a time they were discontinued because Pastor Holzworth felt more comfortable
with one large service with everyone together. At this time we added an Associate
Pastor, Dennis Webber, who specialized in small groups. We benefited from the
addition of many small group ministries. Pioneer Clubs were offered for the children
followed by Kids Club which was written by Pastor Holzworth. Pastor Holzworth
resigned after 6 ! years to take the pastorate of the Evangelical Free Church in Grand
Island. Pastor Webber served as our interim pastor.

In June of 1998 Reverend Keith Bateman assumed the role of senior pastor.
Prior to his five year pastorate in Iowa, the Batemans had spent 15 years as
missionaries in East Africa. In 2002, we added a full-time Youth Pastor, Jeremy Sander.
During this time, our attendance once again expanded which necessitated plans for an
addition to our current facility. On July 10, 2005 it was decided to change the name of
our church to Arbor Drive Community Church in order to better express our mission.
The church voted unanimously to build a new sanctuary/classroom addition. Our first
service was held in the new sanctuary in October of 2005 and we continue to enjoy the
spacious facility. Attendance at this time averages around 225. In June of 2007, Pastor
Bateman announced his intention to serve as the U.S. Director of MECO beginning in
June of 2008.

In June of 2008 Pastor Brad Johnson assumed the role of Senior Pastor. Pastor
Brad had previously ministered as an associate Pastor in an evangelical church in Texas.
Later in 2008 Brock Youngren became our associate pastor for youth replacing Jeremy
Sander who left for seminary training. Pastor Johnson was with us into November of
2012. In March of 2013 Gary Golike served in the part time role of Interim Pastor until
January of 2014. Associate Pastor Brock Youngren left in August of 2013 to assume the
Senior Pastor position of a small church in northern Iowa.

Jon Hawkins is currently the lead pastor of Arbor Drive serving in that role since
January of 2014.