Sie sind auf Seite 1von 2

PHIN 1121: MARTIAL ARTS & SELF DEFENSE (TR 5:30-6:45; AB 1.318)

Instructor:

Syllabus; spring 2010

John Bell (214) 244-2439

Email: John@jbdirect.net

Text: Nakayama M: “Best Karate, vol. I: Comprehensive”; Kodansha Intl Ltd. (Through Harper & Row Publishers), New York, NY; latest edition; ISBN 0-87011-317-8.

GRADING POLICY

The full range of grades (A-F) will be used as an assessment of the student's performance. For students who do not desire a letter grade, you may elect to designate this course as a Pass/Fail course during registration or changing to that option at the first part of the semester.

Grading will be based on the following:

1. Midterm

2. Attendance and class participation

3. Final

25% of total grade 25% of total grade 50% of total grade

Please note: As this course is a Martial Arts Course, attitude is very important. A poor attitude toward the course and/or other students will have a negative impact on your final grade.

Each student is allowed a total of 2 absences throughout the semester. Any additional absences need to be made up (discuss with instructor of class), or it will result in a deduction of 10 points (approx 1/2 of a letter grade) for each absence from his/her cumulative semester score.

The midterm is a written test based on instructions up to the time of the midterm. For the final examination, the student is required to perform a pre-designated set of martial arts techniques in front of the course instructor/s. These techniques will have been covered extensively during the semester. The final examination grade is based on the proficiency by which the student performs these techniques, as defined by his/her level of confidence and technical skill.

Students will not be required to make up class if it is cancelled due to Inclement Weather.

Please Note: A significant amount of time in class is spent working with partners. You will

pair up with each and every person in class executing punches, kicks and blocks.

you must exhibit a certain amount of respect, maturity and discipline in class for your safety and the safety of your classmates.

As such,

12/1/09

PHIN 1121: MARTIAL ARTS & SELF DEFENSE (TR 5:30-6:45; AB 1.318)

Syllabus; spring 2010

Date

Subject

Area of Study

Jan 12

Jan 14, 19

Jan 21, 26

Jan 28,

Feb 2

Feb 4, 9

Feb 11, 16

Feb 18, 23

Feb 25,

Mar 2

Mar 4, 9

Mar 11

Mar 16, 18

Mar 23, 25

Mar 30,

Apr 1

Apr 6, 8

Apr 13, 15

Apr 20, 22

Apr, 27, 29

May 6 th 5:00

Overview

Lecture

Stance I

Blocking I

Punching I

Punching II

Blocking II

Blocking III

Stance II

Blocking IV

Application of hand Techniques I Application of hand techniques II Intro to Kicking

Kicking II

Stance II

Kicking II

Spring Break

(Midterm)

Kicking III Kata (Form) I Blocking V Kata II

Kata III

Kata, Basics & Partner work Kata, Basics & Partner work Review

Final Examination

History and terminology of traditional karate

Front stance: fundamentals of execution Low blocks: fundamentals of execution Stepping punch: fundamentals of execution Reverse punch: fundamentals of execution Rising block: fundamentals of execution

Mid-level blocks: fundamentals of execution

Back stance: fundamentals of execution

Knife hand block: fundamentals of execution Review of Stance, Punching & Blocking Utilization of body dynamics for punching and blocking

Distance and timing of execution Front snapping kick: fundamentals of execution

Front snapping kick: fundamentals of execution

Side stance: fundamentals of execution Side snapping kick: fundamentals of execution Written examination on martial arts principals and terminology (To be handed out on March 12 and returned on March 23) Side thrust kick: fundamentals of execution Heian Shodan, sequence Defense against kicking Heian Shodan, sequence Heian Shodan, sequence

Heian Shodan, body dynamics

Heian Shodan, tempo

Refining Technique and Semester Review Practical examination based on performance of Kata, basics and applications

This syllabus is a general outline for the course and may be adjusted as necessary during the semester.

12/1/09