Sie sind auf Seite 1von 2


It was Ma Huan, the Chinese traveler, who first mentioned Kochi in his books of early 15th
century. Nicolo Conti, the Italian traveler also talks about the place in his records of 1440.
From then on, the name appears in many travelogues and records of various travelers and
traders from across the globe as Cocym, Cochym, Cochin, Cochi and so on. It has also been
mentioned in some records as Balapuri, a Sanskrit name that means small town.
Some scholars are of the opinion it was the traders from the court of the Chinese ruler Kublai
Khan who named the port city, after their homeland and. Some others believe that the name is
a corrupted version of the Sanskrit word Go Sree, which means prosperous with cows.
According to one scholar, the name Kochi was derived from the word cocha, which indicates
the Biblical term Cohen.
Kochi is also believed to be derived from kaki, which means harbour in Tamil; from the
Malayalam word, koch-azhi meaning small sea and from its earlier name Kakochi that was
preceded by the name Kochim, used in the Portuguese records of the 15th century, etc. Some
still refer to the place as Cochin, though it is now known as Kochi

KOLLAM : Once known as "kollavarsham"; Kollam is the place that introduced

the Malayalam calendar to the entire Kerala state. thus the name.


PATHANAMTHITTA : The name is coined from Malayalam words "pathanam"

and "thitta". Pathannamthitta means a group of ten families settled on the banks of a
river ( River Achenkovil ).


ERNAKULAM : Ernakulam derives its name from a Tamil word

"Erayanarkulam" or "Lord Shiva's abode"


THRISSUR : the name is derived from "Thrissivaperur" meaning "Town of

sacred Shiva"


WAYANAD : Wayanad is derived from words "vayal" (paddy) and "naad" (land).
About 2,126 sq kms of area in this district is covered in paddy fields.

Munnar interprets as three rivers. This refers to

the strategic location of hill station at the confluence of 3
rivers; Madhurauzha, Nallathanni and Kundaly


7. Devikulam: According to legend, the goddess Sita Devi of the Ramayana epic bathed in
the beautiful Devikulam lake waters surrounded by lush, green hills, now named Sita
Devi Lake. The lake draws tourists not only because of its sacredness but also for the
curative powers of its mineral waters. Most of the inhabitants in this town speak
Malayalam and Tamil.

8. Thirumullavaram: The place got its name from "Thirumallanmar", the bodyguards of the
erstwhile King of Travancore - Sri Marthanda Varma. Thirumullavarum, because of its
scenic beauty, was one of the place where the King used to spend his leisure time.
Another etymology says that, this place got the name in "THRETHAYUGA". SEETHA
DEVI brought the MULLAPOO which ware in his hair,due to gave signale for
Sreerama,by the time of journy to Lanka by PUSHPAKA VIMANA under Ravana's
coustody.The MULLAPOO drop this place. So this place got THIRUMULLAVARAM
9. PANDALAM: It is believed that the Pandya kings of Tamil Nadu fled to Pandalam in the
face of an attack from Cholas[9] and settled there in the land they bought from Kaipuzha
Thampan, a landlord. The Pandya dynasty had provinces on either sides of the Western
Ghats. The King of Pandalam helped Marthanda Varma to conquer
the Kayamkulamprovince. In return for this help, Marthanda Varma did not attempt to
attack and conquer Pandalam, during the expansion of his kingdom.
10. In 1795 the British established their supremacy in South India and the princely state
of Travancore came under their governance. From 1800 onwards, a Resident was
appointed by East India Company as administrative head of Travancore. The first
Resident was Colonel Collin Macaulay, followed by Colonel John Munro. During his
tenure Munro oversaw the land reclamation efforts in the delta where Kallada River joins
Ashtamudi Lake and the reclaimed island was named after him as Munroe Island.