Sie sind auf Seite 1von 13

What is VAWC?

VAWC stands for = Violence Against Women and

It is a law that was passed in the Philippines for the
protection of women and children from violence.
This law establishes the guidelines in keeping with
the fundamental freedoms guaranteed under the
Constitution and the Provisions of the Convention
on Children.

Who is Protected by the VAWC Law (RA

No. 9262)?
a) Wife
b) Former Wife
c) A woman with whom the offender has or had
sexual relations with
d) A woman with whom the offender has a
common child with
e) The child

Under this law, it defines what kinds of violence, which are:

Sexual Violence acts which are sexual in nature
Psychological Violence acts that cause mental or
emotional suffering of the victim
Economic Abuse acts that make the woman financially
dependent upon her abuser
*The acts which are commonly committed against children
are either sexual or psychological.

Furthermore, Sec. 5 of R.A. No. 9262 provides that

the crime of violence against women and children is
committed through any of the following acts:

Causing physical harm

Threatening to cause physical harm
Attempting to cause physical harm
Placing the woman or child in fear of imminent physical
e) Restricting their freedom of movement by force or threat
of force, physical or other harm or threat of physical or
other harm, or intimidation
f) Inflicting or threatening to inflict physical harm on
oneself for the purpose of controlling the woman or
childs actions

What Can Children do Under R.A. No.

The law allows children (as well as women) to
secure a Barangay Protection Order and/or
a Temporary or Permanent Protection Order
from the courts.
The law also allows them to file an
independent civil action for damages and
criminal action for the violation of R.A. No.

What is a Protection Order?

This is an order issued for the purpose of preventing
further acts of violence against women and

The Order can also grant any other relief as needed

which shall serve the purpose of safeguarding the
woman or child from further harm, minimizing any
disruption in the victims daily life, and facilitating
the opportunity and ability of the victim to
independently regain control of their life.

Kinds of Protection Orders

1. Barangay Protection Order (BPO)
2. Temporary Protection Order (TPO)
3. Permanent Protection Order (PPO)

Barangay Protection Order (BPO)

Refers to the protection order issued by the
Punong Barangay ordering the offender to
desist from committing the prohibited acts
under R.A. No. 9262.
This shall be effective for 15 days.

Temporary Protection Order (TPO)

Refers to the protection order issued by the
court on the date of the filing of the application
after ex parte determination that such order
should be issued
The court may grant in a TPO any or some or all
of the reliefs provided for under R.A. No. 9262.
This shall be effective for 30 days.

Permanent Protection Order (PPO)

Refers to the protection order issued by the court
after notice and hearing.
The court shall not deny the issuance of protection
order on the basis of the lapse of time between the
act of violence and the filing of the application.
This shall be effective until revoked by the court
upon application of the person in whose favour it
was issued.

Where Can the Child Apply for a

Protection Order?
For Barangay Protection Order
May be applied for in the Barangay where the applicant
For Temporary Protection Order
May be filed with the Municipal Court where the
applicant resides.
For Permanent Protection Order
May be filed with the Regional Trial Court / Family Court
where the applicant resides.

Who May File a Protection Order?

Anyone of the following may also file the
protection order in behalf of the child:

Children and grandchildren
Relatives (aunts, uncles, cousins, in-laws)
Local officials and DSWD social workers

Health care providers (nurses, doctors, barangay health
Any two people who came from the city or municipality
where crime happened and who have personal knowledge
of the crime

Once a Protection Order has been issued, it can be enforced

anywhere in the Philippines.