Sie sind auf Seite 1von 19

Municipality of Thessaloniki, 2013

Available also in
electronic form at:
www.thessaloniki.gr
and www.thessaloniki.travel
Reproduction without permission
is prohibited
THESSALONIKI
UNION
OF TOURIST GUIDES

With the kind cooperation of


9TH EPHORATE OF BYZANTINE ANTIQUITIES
16TH EPHORATE OF PREHISTORIC AND CLASSICAL ANTIQUITIES
EPHORATE OF CONTEMPORARY AND MODERN MONUMENTS OF CENTRAL
MACEDONIA
HELLENIC REPUBLIC
MINISTRY OF EDUCATION, RELIGIOUS AFFAIRS, CULTURE AND SPORTS
GENERAL SECRETARIAT OF CULTURE

Source of entries and texts


Design
Designers United
Office Address
Tourism Dept
City Hall
1, Vas.Georgiou A str.
GR-54640 Thessaloniki,
Greece
T +30 2313 318206
tourism@thessaloniki.gr
1st Edition March 2013
Created by:
Municipality of Thessaloniki
Directorate of Culture-Tourism

Cultural Monument Document

Thessaloniki
A walk through a much-loved city.
Due to the importance of the Thermaikos
Gulf and its residential advantages,
numerous settlements developed around
it, starting in the Neolithic Era and the
Bronze Age, as evidenced by those
excavated in the area of the Thessaloniki
International Fair, Stavroupolis, Thermi
and Ano Toumba. Archaeologists have
also unearthed sites from the Iron Age
and the later eras (9th-4th century BC)
in Karabournaki, Thermi, Polichni and
Sindos. According to sources, these
settlements comprised the 26 towns that
united to form the city.
Thessaloniki was founded as an urban
centre by Cassander, a general of Philip
II, in 316 BC. This action was part of
the residential policy of Alexander the
Greats successors, aiming at the creation
of powerful cities at key locations to
ensure communication between the
state of Macedon and the rest of the
world. An organised port in Thessaloniki
was necessary due to the rapid increase
in commerce and communication with
distant lands.
The administrative organisation of the
city during the Hellenistic era followed
the model employed in other Greek
cities. It retained a type of administrative
autonomy after its conquest by the
Romans, who contributed to its rapid
growth.
The construction of Via Egnatia (146-120
BC), connecting Dyrrachium to Evros,
helped elevate Thessaloniki to a major
commercial, cultural and military centre.
During his tenure as Caesar, Tetrarch

Gaius Galerius Valerius Maximianus


(250-311 AD) established his seat in
Thessaloniki, constructing a magnificent
palace, a hippodrome and a triumphal
arch (Camara) and turning the city into
capital of the Balkans.
The stay of Constantine the Great in
Thessaloniki in 322-323 coincides with
the implementation of large-scale works
in the city, such as the port at its southwestern end. The 4th century was one of
great changes for the city, characterised
by the pre-eminence of Christianity, at
least three centuries after the visit of Paul
the Apostle to the city, and marked at its
end, in 390, by the massacre of thousands
of Thessalonians at the city hippodrome
on the orders of Emperor Theodosius I.
By the end of the 5th century, the Roman
city had been transformed into a centre of
Christianity.
The historical character of Thessaloniki is
undoubtedly linked to its Byzantine life.
The walls and extant inscriptions record
the tumultuous history of the city. The
walled city and its monuments could
reasonably be described as an open
Byzantine museum.
From the 7th to the 10th centuries,
notwithstanding all the problems
that the Byzantine Empire would face
with the West, the Arabs, the Slavs,
the Bulgarians and the Byzantine
Iconoclasm, Thessaloniki continued
to develop in all ways, often playing
a leading role, thus demonstrating its
great importance and position within

Thessaloniki Monuments Map


the structure of the state. It was the
Balkan gateway for the ideological,
cultural and religious influence of the
Byzantine Empire. The Christianisation
of the Slavs by the Byzantines was an
important fact that marked not only that
era but the subsequent centuries as well.
The brothers Cyril and Methodius, who
were born in Thessaloniki, carried out
their missionary work among the Slavs.
The Bulgarians were the first to accept
Christianity in 864, followed by the Serbs
in 867-874.The sacking of the city by the
Saracens in 904 and the famine of 927 were
landmark events of the 10th century that
unquestionably influenced the thinking
and art of the era. During the Crusades
on the western borders of the empire,
Thessaloniki once again played a leading
role as a centre of military operations. Its
Metropolitans, chief among them being
Eustathius, were historical figures who
dominated the intellectual life of the city
and expressed positions on the major
theological and political problems of the
era. The sacking of the city by the Normans
in 1185 and its occupation by the Latins for
two decades after 1204 briefly suspended
but did not stop its cultural growth. Artistic
and literary production flourished during
the Komnenian period and reached its
peak during the Palaeologan era. The turn
towards classical Greek education, with the
study of ancient texts, highlighted aspects
of humanism and led to the Palaeologan
Renaissance of literature and art of that
period. However, important theological
and social controversies had taken place
meanwhile, such as the Hesychast strife
and the Zealot movement that threw the
city into turmoil.
The Byzantine metropolis contains a large
number of extant devotional monuments.

Each neighbourhood retains its Byzantine


or post-Byzantine monument, elements
of other times, when the city was the
Symvasilevousa (co-reigning city) of a first
powerful and then declining Byzantine
Empire, or later the centre of an Ottomanoccupied Balkan peninsula. The city was
fortunate enough to preserve mainly the
monuments of its glorious religious past.
Thessalonikis structures and organisation,
its buildings, dwellings, markets, the
everyday public and private life of its
residents all bear witness to its secular
side, a fact that is further confirmed by the
evidence from the various excavations
taking place in the city.
Under Ottoman rule (1430-1912), almost
all Christian churches, parish or Catholic
monasteries were converted into mosques.
The city acquired an Eastern character.
Mosques were built throughout its
neighbourhoods, new building complexes,
religious schools, Bezesteni (an indoor
market) and bathhouses became the
hubs of the citys new reality. The water
supply system already in operation with
underground and aboveground cisterns
was enhanced and expanded. Fountains
decorated with ornate sculptures were
constructed along the maze-like streets,
the Bairia of the Upper/Old City (Ano
Poli), to serve the residents and quench
the thirst of passers-by. The city walls
were strengthened either through
reconstruction or through new additions,
such as the Vardaris fort. The Christian
residents of the city, who primarily lived on
the plains, built their churches according
to the type that was most frequent in
the post-Byzantine era: the three-aisled
basilica with a low, gabled roof and a
portico. After the resettlement of primarily
Jewish refugees from Spain in 1500,

The 20th century held a number of changes


for Thessaloniki. The decline of the
Ottoman Empire and the national turmoil
in the Balkans led in 1904 to the beginning
of the Macedonian Struggle, in which
Thessaloniki, with the Greek Consulate as a
launching pad, played a major role. In 1908,
the Young Turk movement exploded in the
city, creating hope for religious equality
that would soon be dashed.

In the 17th century, the city was organised


into administrative districts, with the Jews
living in the central and western section of
the city, the Christians living in the east and
in the centre and the Muslims living in the
Upper City. The Frangomachalas district
would later be created near the port to
accommodate the European population
of the city.

that period. Industry began taking its first


steps and Thessaloniki was a developing
city of great promise.

Thessaloniki acquired a multi-cultural,


multi-religious character, which it would
retain until its liberation.

In the 19th century, an era of Reform for the


Ottoman Empire, the city flourished. Light
industry and commerce grew, while large
commercial firms from Greece and abroad
gave the city a cosmopolitan atmosphere.
Contact with European ideas impacted
citizens of all communities and religions.
During the final quarter of the century,
numerous schools and hospitals were
built by all the communities and important
buildings were constructed. The decision
to demolish the sea wall and part of the
south-eastern wall changed the image of
the city. Its medieval character was lost,
but it became able to breathe in the sea
and acquired a complete new seafront.
Modern-day Ethnikis Amynis Street was
constructed at the expense of the Sultan
and the fountain was placed there, marking
the point of origin of the new Avenue of
the Countryside (or of the Towers) towards
the east of the city, where the villas of the
well-to-do were being erected. For the
first time, the urban planning of a district
was not based on religion, but on class.
Muslims, Jews and Christians competed
with each other in the construction of
mansions. Numerous architectural styles
mingled, giving birth to the eclecticism
that characterises almost all buildings from

In 1912, Thessaloniki was liberated and


annexed to the Greek state. Within a few
decades, major historical events took place
in the city. By the mid-20th century, the city
had changed radically in image, size and
population.
During World War I, Thessaloniki served
as the military operations centre of the
Macedonian Front, housing the renowned
Arme dOrient (Army of the Orient),
allies of the Entente. English and French
military camps sprouted throughout the
outskirts of the city. In 1916, Venizelos,
having fallen out with the King, decided to
form a temporary Triumvirate government
in Thessaloniki, with the contribution of
Danglis and Kountouriotis.
A year later, in 1917, a devastating fire
reduced the entire centre of the city to
ashes. Thessaloniki was never again the
same: 73,000 people were left homeless,
entire fortunes, homes and stores were
destroyed and the priceless heritage of
the 19th century vanished. The political
situation in the Balkans remained as
volatile as ever, leading refugees from
the surrounding regions and Greeks from
the Orient to Thessaloniki. This migration

reached its culmination in 1922, with the


Treaty of Lausanne and the decision for
an exchange of populations leading to
an influx of thousands of refugees from
Asia Minor. At the same time, the city
lost its Muslim population. Although
the damage from the fire had not been
restored, refugees settled in churches, in
gutted buildings, at unused corners of the
city walls, at military camps abandoned
by the Allies. However, above all, new
settlements, new neighbourhoods and
new suburbs were formed. Thessaloniki
once consisted of 26 ancient towns; the
new Thessaloniki now extended across
the centuries and throughout new
settlements. The former Co-reigning City
became the Refugee Capital.

In 1963, Grigoris Lambrakis was murdered


in Thessaloniki. This assassination was
immortalised by Vassilis Vassilikos in his
novel Z and became known throughout
the world thanks to the film of the same
name by Costas Gavras. The generally
volatile political situation in the country
led to the military coup of 1967, which
ushered in seven years of dictatorship.
In 1978, the city suffered a powerful
earthquake, leaving in its wake ruins and
casualties. During the 1990s, with the
dissolution of the Eastern Bloc, numerous
economic immigrants arrived in the city.
In 1997, Thessaloniki was the European
Capital of Culture. In 2012, the city
celebrated the 100-year anniversary of its
liberation and won the title of European
Youth Capital for 2014.

In 1926, the University of Thessaloniki


was founded and the first Thessaloniki
International Fair was held. The city
recovered and began writing new pages
in its history. The May of 1936 was
shocking for Thessaloniki, as strikes and
demonstrations were bathed in blood.
The German occupation began in 1941,
adding dark pages to the local history.
In 1943, thousands of Thessaloniki
Jews were transported by train to Nazi
concentration camps and the community
of the city was all but annihilated. The
subsequent Civil War also had an impact
on the city.
After World War II, Thessaloniki became
a pole of attraction once more. It
experienced a wave of urbanism and
the need to house new arrivals. Pre-war
buildings that had been preserved were
demolished and the image of the city
changed once more: apartment buildings
became the norm.

D4
D4
D4

D4
D4
C4
C4
C4
C5
C5
C5
C5
C5
C5

6
7
8

9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19

Walls
Church of Aghioi Apostoloi
Church of Aghia Ekaterini
Church of Profitis Elias
Church of Hosios David (Latomos
Monastery)
Vlatadon Monastery
Heptapyrgion
Acropolis Walls Lapardas Tower
Anna Paleologina Gate Trigonion
Tower or Alysseos Tower
Church of Aghios Nikolaos Orphanos
Church of Taxiarches
Byzantine baths
Church of Aghios Dimitrios Crypt
Church of Panayia Chalkeon
Church of the Acheiropoietos
Church of Aghia Sophia
Church of Metamorphosis tou Sotiros
Church of Aghios Panteleimon
Rampart White Tower
Rotunda

C4
4
A4
4
D5
D4
D4
C5
D6
D4
C4
C4
D7
D7
C8
D8

10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25

Yahudi Hamam
Bezesteni
Hamza Bey Mosque
Bey Hamam Loutra Paradissos
Yeni Hamam Aegle
Alaca Imaret
Tourbes Musa Baba
Pasha Hamam
Yeni Camii (Old Archaeological
Museum)
Dioiketerion
Customs House
Old Central Pump House
Ottoman Bank
Faculty of Philosophy, AUTh
(Aristotle University of Thessaloniki)
Aghios Dimitrios Hospital
Kipoi tou Passa
Sintrivani
3rd Army Corps Strategeion
House of Mustafa Kemal (Ataturk)
Ano Poli (Upper/Old City) Library
inari
Scholi Tyflon (School for the Blind)
Villa Mehmet Kapanci
Villa Ahmet Kapanci
Villa Mordoch

C4
4
5
4
4
C5
C7
D9
D9
C9
Monastirioton Synagogue
Yad Lezikaron Synagogue
Holocaust Monument
Jewish Museum
Stoa Saoul
Agora Modiano
Villa Modiano
Casa Bianca
Villa Allatini
Allatini Mills

Th

em

ou

16

ki
Ta

ou Ave.

Meg. Al
exandr

e
Av

22

Geo

26

27

3is

Andr

eopo

ulou

Mark. Mpotsari

r.
Pap

Ave
.

Meg.
Alex

Geo
r.
a
Pap

an
ou
dre

22

D9

25

ar
s M

Mo

o
ch

ni

andr
e.
ou Av

tio

lf
Me
rk
ou
ri
ou

De

thou
Skia

si

ndr
eou

Lo
go
th
et
ou

on

Va

si

Xe

no

fo

nt

s
Iliado

on

os

seos
Analip

Mark. Mpotsari

28is Oktovriou

ira
orf
u P
pro
Lam

25i

dika
Petrou Sin

D8

ou
Archeologikou Mousi

Kolokotroni

os

Li

18

16

Di
mi
tr
io
u

lou
zog
ant
ait
u K
cho
a
m
si

ou
vri
tem
Sep

Paraskevopoulou

Ah
gi
ou

15

ri
ga
ul
Vo

16

io

or

ig

Gr

15

ou
vri
tem
Sep
3is

ARISTOTELEIO PANEPISTIMIO
THESSALONIKIS (UNIVERSITY AREA)

ingk
Al. Flem

as

nos
Plouto

14

Evzono

14

se
Analip

23

21

D7
17

19

CHOROS DIETHNOUS EKTHESIS


THESSALONIKIS (HELEXPO TIF)

D6
13

18

ti

lg
s O

ou

Vas
si
lis

id

ol

na

ou

Delfon

10

Sv

is Olga
s Ave.

20

24

Eg

Vasiliss

24

Al

17

dot

Mou
son

ldi

om

9
19

D5

19

Iro

11

12

Ak
ro
po
le
os

Gam

on

as
re
Mo

10

son
Mou

ou

poul
toko
Theo

leo

fi

Ik

EOT

ki

is

im

Ts

17

po

6
opo

iou

vet

Kle

ra

mp

La

ant

ki

ho u

u
vro
Sta
Al.

lou
l Psel
Michai

is

Greek National Tourism Organisation


Information Desk

ol

11

is

Akr

ou Ave.

Ave.

ga

Ol

EOT

la
P. Me

i
kl
to
is

Sv

Nik. Germanou

i
ul
fo
So

18

Al

ou

pp

li

Fi

po

io

tr

mi

Di

im

Ol

ou

hi

Ag

20

Kr

pa

OpenStreetMap contributors

14

a
vet

28 2
29 1
30 3

7
Th
eo
fi
lo
u
Ol
im
pi
ad
os

10

os

ou

mon

rgi

fth

api

Kla

Ept

u
io
rg
pi
ta
Ep

pirg

Gam

C9

12

ou
man
Ger
P.
P.

15

ki

is

im

Ts

ti

na

Eg

ou

ou

dr

an

ou Ave.

Meg. Al
exandr

C8

C7

C6

pp

Mi
tr
Pr
op
ox
ol
Ni
eo
en
ki
s
ou
s
Ko
Av
ro
e.
mi
la

li

po

im

Ol

io

tr

mi

Di

ss

Ka

ous

gi
os Geor

amanli
Kon/nou Kar

amanli
Kon/nou Kar

B9

e.

Av

C5

Er
mo
u

13

Fi

ou

hi

Ag

Kli

Av

on

A9

ki

Ni

io

le

ak

D4
Ep
ta
pi
rg
io
Si
u
ra
ko
us
on

s
Delf

sio

26 D5
27 D4

im

Ts

Ir

is
ki
tr
op
ol
eo
s

Mi

s.

4
Va

10

ado

21

Dim
. P
oli
ork
ito
u

KASTRA (CASTLE)

io

Amalia
iva

Gar

sta

25 B4

ou

it

or

la

Va

Ol
im
po
u

mpi

ou

dr

Oli

an

ss

Ka

i
Sachin

io

gg

lo

so

e.

B8

e.

Av

LADADIKA

25

13

ti

na

Eg

io

tr

Ifestionos

i
ur
to
ch
Sa

Me

rg

A8

ki

Ni

triou
Karaoli ke Dimi

mi

Di

C4

ro

Ev

do

ou

pi

pi

manli Ave.
Kon/nou Kara

ana

Ladadika
Eleftherias Square
Aristotelous Square
Hotel Vienni
Nedelkos Building
Old Oekokyriki Scholi
The Red House
Former Greek Consulate
25 Theophilou Street
13 Theophilou Street
17 Herodotou Street
47 Mousson Street
Archaeological Museum
Museum of Byzantine Culture
Papafeion Orphanage
Former Russian Hospital
Villa Michaelidi
Salem Mansion
Former Melissa Orphanage
Chateau Mon Bonheur
Villa Chatzilazarou
Villa Morpurgo
Moni Lazariston
Armenian Orthodox Church of the
Virgin Mary
Holy Catholic Cathedral of the
Immaculate Conception of the Virgin
Mary
Orthodox Cemetery
Armenian Cemetery, Protestant
Cemetery
Zeitelnik Allied Cemetery
New Jewish Cemetery
Indian Cemetery of Harmangioi

11

ou

ni

ch

te

is

ou

hi

Ag

ou

an

di

av

Kl

El

ta

Pap

4
5
5
4
C5
C5
C5
C5
C4
C4
D4
D4
D6
D6
D6
D7
D7
D7
D7
D8
C8
D9
B2
C5

Po

li

vrio

Okto

THESSALONIKI PORT

26is

io

ir

st

na

Mo

Aghion Panton

Ep

io

Al.

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24

B7

B6

B5

ou

pf

Sa

B4

Leof. Kallitheas

D3

as

fi

Pages 13-17

lou

C3

NEAPOLI

pa

Modern Monuments

C5
C5
C5
C5
C4

io

ir

ize

B3

Davaki

Vasile

5
6
7
8
9

A7

st

na

Ven

26is Oktovrio
u

Mo

El.

28

Akriton

El
pi
do
s

POLICHNI

Nea Panayia
Aghios Antonios
Hypapante
Panagouda or Panayia
Gorgoepekoos
Aghios Charalambos
Aghios Athanassios
Aghios Georgios
Laodigitria or Panayia Lagoudiani
Aghios Minas

A6

A5

12

30

AMPELOKIPOI

os

po
le

pp
ou

Fi
li

ido

Elp

ppou

Fili

D2

.
st

4
C5
C5
C5

A4

A3

23

on

tr

ko

lo

Ko

on

ip

ok

el

p
Am

C2

na

a
ap

1
2
3
4

lo

ze

ni

Ve

Go

Ni
is

u
Al

Pages 12-13

El

ota
rop

Ave
mou

Akr
ito
n

pon

loki

Ampe

ro

B2 Iat

io

Despere

to

Ave
tou

Post-Byzantine
Churches

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10

Pages 1-12

Jewish Monuments

5
C4
C4
C4
C4
C4
C4
4
D7

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9

Pages 7 -1O

Ottoman Monuments

4
4
C4
C4
C4

1
2
3
4
5

. 4-7

Early Christian
and Byzantine Monuments

6
7
8

4
5

u Ave.
potamo

Dendro

nt

on
Pa
on

A2

hi
Ag

C5 Galerius Palace complex


C5 Hippodrome
D5 Section of the ancient road at the
Macedonian Museum of Contemporary
Art
C5 Galerius Triumphal Arch (Camara)
C4 Monumental fountain from the Roman
Era
C4 Roman Forum
C4 Roman temple at Antigonidon Square
C4 Public administrative buildings at
Kyprion Agoniston Square
C5 Rotunda

ou

1
2
3

al
nt
Ta

Den
d

Anagenniseos

si

os

tr

Lagkada

u
go

he
it
om
Pr

mi

in
Ir

Di

ke

fo

do
ni
go
ti

13

So
to
on
Le

mi

Page 4

Dr
os

on

no
Ag

ot
ti
ra

ol

ef

u
ro
gg
Si

Io
n

An
Vi

ou
ag
ni
Ve
.
El

ar
a

as
ri
th
e
El
Pl

ou
ze
l

or
te
Me

ni
Ve
l.

lo
ze

lo
te
to
is
Ar

to
u

29

is

ra

as

So

us
hi
Ag

ia
s

ill

as

as

St

hi

as
fi
So
as

fi
So

Sev

fi
So
as
Ag

hi
Ag

hi

as

Am
h.

is

Ag

Et

leo
opo
Akr
in

as
re
Mo

Ka

r.

Da

is
in
St

>

>

Roman Monuments

li
gk
ti
let
Dia

zo
La
ch
ar
Ex

h.

ko

ag

Et

Fr

Am

ou

Dodekanis

Pa

zoli

28

Papa

lo

e.

Av

ll

to

ta

os

is
io

is

Ap

vr

o
kt
El

ou
u

Kr

lo
u

dr
dro

ou

an
xan

af

ex
le
. A

ou

gr

Al
Meg

Lagkada

ot

Zo

g.

pi

Me

Lagkad

um

Do

en
i

Epta

Lagkad

S
.
tr

ra

Str

ali
nido

Aggelaki

St

id

ich
Iaso

im

rom

ad

ti

ts

Mav

pi

na

Ka

Komninon

im

Ol

os

Eg
Pa

Pa
Ave.

Delfon

Delfon

l
s
is
s
e.

Av

Cheronias
ou
Geor. Papandre

pe

Ka

E9

Voulga

E8

E7

E6

E5

E4

E3

E2

Thessaloniki
Monuments Map

Thessaloniki Monuments Map

Index

Roman Monuments

Early Christian and


Byzantine Monuments

Ottoman Monuments

Jewish Monuments

Post-Byzantine
Churches

Modern Monuments

Page 4

Pages 47

Pages 71O

Pages 112

Pages 1213

Pages 1317

1 Galerius Palace complex


2 Hippodrome
3 Section of the ancient road at
the Macedonian Museum of
Contemporary Art
4 Galerius Triumphal Arch
(Camara)
5 Monumental fountain from the
Roman Era
6 Roman Forum
7 Roman temple at Antigonidon
8 Square
Public administrative buildings
at Kyprion Agoniston Square
9 Rotunda

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8

9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19

Walls
Church of Aghioi Apostoloi
Church of Aghia Ekaterini
Church of Profitis Elias
Church of Hosios David
(Latomos Monastery)
Vlatadon Monastery
Heptapyrgion
Acropolis WallsLapardas
TowerAnna Paleologina Gate
Trigonion Tower or Alysseos
Tower
Church of Aghios Nikolaos
Orphanos
Church of Taxiarches
Byzantine baths
Church of Aghios Dimitrios
Crypt
Church of Panayia Chalkeon
Church of the Acheiropoietos
Church of Aghia Sophia
Church of Metamorphosis tou
Sotiros
Church of Aghios Panteleimon
RampartWhite Tower
Rotunda

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25

Yahudi Hamam
Bezesteni
Hamza Bey Mosque
Bey HamamLoutra Paradissos
Yeni HamamAegle
Alaca Imaret
Tourbes Musa Baba
Pasha Hamam
Yeni Camii (Old Archaeological
Museum)
Dioiketerion
Customs House
Old Central Pump House
Ottoman Bank
Faculty of Philosophy, AUTh
(Aristotle University of
Thessaloniki)
Aghios Dimitrios Hospital
Kipoi tou Passa
Sintrivani
3rd Army CorpsStrategeion
House of Mustafa Kemal
(Ataturk)
Ano Poli (Upper/Old City)
Library
inari
Scholi Tyflon (School for the
Blind)
Villa Mehmet Kapanci
Villa Ahmet Kapanci
Villa Mordoch

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10

Monastirioton Synagogue
Yad Lezikaron Synagogue
Holocaust Monument
Jewish Museum
Stoa Saoul
Agora Modiano
Villa Modiano
Casa Bianca
Villa Allatini
Allatini Mills

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9

Nea Panayia
Aghios Antonios
Hypapante
Panagouda or Panayia
Gorgoepekoos
Aghios Charalambos
Aghios Athanassios
Aghios Georgios
Laodigitria or Panayia
Lagoudiani
Aghios Minas

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30

Ladadika
Eleftherias Square
Aristotelous Square
Hotel Vienni
Nedelkos Building
Old Oekokyriki Scholi
The Red House
Former Greek Consulate
25 Theophilou Street
13 Theophilou Street
17 Herodotou Street
47 Mousson Street
Archaeological Museum
Museum of Byzantine Culture
Papafeion Orphanage
Former Russian Hospital
Villa Michaelidi
Salem Mansion
Former Melissa Orphanage
Chateau Mon Bonheur
Villa Chatzilazarou
Villa Morpurgo
Moni Lazariston
Armenian Orthodox Church of
the Virgin Mary
Holy Catholic Cathedral of the
Immaculate Conception of the
Virgin Mary
Orthodox Cemetery
Armenian Cemetery, Protestant
Cemetery
Zeitelnik Allied Cemetery
New Jewish Cemetery
Indian Cemetery of Harmangioi

THESSALONIKI

6 C4

Roman Forum Junction of Olympou Street &


Filippou Street. An administrative centre of the
Roman era that, in its excavated form, began
being organised in the mid-2nd century AD. The
entire complex was organised around a rectangular cobbled square. On its three sides, there
were two-storey arcades, with a double colonnade of the Corinthian order, directly connected on its perimeter to public and private spaces.

Map on pages 18-19

1 C5

Palace complex of the Roman Caesar Galerius Valerius Maximianus Navarinou Square
Its construction began in the late 3rdearly 4th
century AD. It is one of the most important monuments of Late Antiquity, the only one of its kind
preserved in Greece. Monumental structures
that served as an imperial residence have been
excavated.

7 C4

Roman temple. Antigonidon Square. The temple, made of architectural elements from an
older archaic temple, was dedicated to the worship of Augustus. Significant findings in this
area include the torso of a male statue wearing
a cuirass and an enormous statue of Zeus Aegiochus (Aegis-bearing), dating back to the 2nd
century AD, of exquisite artistry.

2 C5

Hippodrome Ippodromiou Square. There is no


visitable section of the Roman Hippodrome, but
we can picture the size of the ancient construction by viewing the length and shape of modernday Ippodromiou Street.

8 C4

Public administrative bulidings at Kyprion Agoniston Square Olympou Street, Venizelou


Street and Aghiou Dimitriou Street. Olympou
Street, Venizelou Street and Aghiou Dimitriou
Street. Remnants of monumental, mostly public
building were excavated at this site. The findings
date back to the 3rd century BC and possibly constituted the administrative centre of the city dating back to the Hellenistic and Roman era. The
ruins of the buildings that are preserved and are
visible to this day testify to the timelessness of
this district of the city, which preserved its urban
character throughout the Byzantine and PostByzantine era.

3 D5

Section of the ancient road at the Macedonian


Museum of Contemporary Art Within the International Fair. A section of a Roman-era cobbled road is preserved in the basement of the
Museum. The road originated at the Cassandrean gate of the city, in the Syntrivani area, and
headed southeast.
4 C5

Galerius Triumphal Arch Camara. (305 AD).


Constructed to commemorate the victory of
Galerius over the Persians. Its intricate relief
scenes depict battles and victories in that war,
expressing the omnipotence and unity of the Tetrarchy leaders.

9 C5 See page 7

4 C4

>

The monuments of this section, excluding


the Church of Taxiarches (10) have been
declared as UNESCO World Cultural
Heritage Monuments.

>

5 C4

Monumental fountain from the Roman Era


Junctionof Egnatias Street & Mitropolitou
Gennadiou Street. Constructed beside a central road artery of Roman Thessaloniki (decumanus maximus).

Roman Monuments
>

MONUMENTS MAP

Church of Profitis Elias Junction of Olympiados & Amfilochias Street. Church of Profitis Elias Junction of Olympiados & Amfilochias Street.
The Church, dedicated to Christ, was the catholicon of the Byzantine Akapniou Monastery.
It is unique in terms of architectural type and is
known for its portrayal of the Infanticide, representative of the final period of Paleologan painting.

Early Christian and


Byzantine Monuments

5 C4

>

Map on pages 20-21

Church of Hosios David Latomos Monastery)


Junction of Bouboulinas Street & D. Poliorkitou StreetAno Poli. The catholicon of the monastery of Christou Sotira tou Latomou (Christ
the Saviour, the Quarryman) or ton Latomon
(or Quarrymen), a name due to the existence
of stone quarries, is renowned for its mosaic of
the vision of Prophet Ezekiel in its alcove, one of
the most important mosaics of the Early Christian era.

1 4

Walls. Remains of the Hellenistic and, subsequently, Roman fortification of the city that were
incorporated into its new fortifiedcircuit wall in
the late 4th century. The surrounding wall, trapezoidal in shape, was strengthened with alternating triangular cantilevers and square towers, as
well as a rampart. During the Byzantine era, repairs and additions took place, but the final present-day form of the walls is the result of Ottoman interventions.

6 D4

Vlatadon Monastery 64 Eptapyrgiou Street.


(1351-1371).A Patriarchal and stauropegic monastery, the only Byzantine monastery still operating in the city. It was founded the monk Dorotheus Vlatis, a pupil of Gregory Palamas and
subsequently Metropolitan Bishop of Thessaloniki. The monastery was initially dedicated
to Christ the Almighty and today honours the
Transfiguration of the Saviour.

2 4

Church of Aghioi Apostoloi Junction of Olympou & Paparrigopoulou Street. (1310-1314).


The church, built by the Patriarch Nephon and
his pupil, Abbot Pavlos, was the catholicon of a
monastery dedicated to the Virgin Mary. Its interior contains excellent mosaic decoration, characteristic of the final period of Palaeologan art.

7 D4

Heptapyrgion NE end of the Acropolis. A complex of various construction phases from the
early Christianearly Byzantine period up to
the years of Ottoman rule. When converted into
a prison in the 19th century, buildings and auxiliary areas were added. The building currently
houses the offices of the Ephorate of Byzantine
Antiquities of Thessaloniki.

3 C4

Church of Aghia Ekaterini Junction of Tsamadou & Oedipoda Street, Ano Poli. (late 13thearly 14th century). Once served as catholicon to a
Byzantine monastery. Its elegant dimensions
and the structure of its facades, with recessed
niches and arches, brick half-columns and ceramoplastic decoration, make this monument an
excellent example of Paleologan architecture.

8 D4

Acropolis WallsLapardas TowerAnna Paleologina GateTrigonion Tower or Alysseos


Tower. The so-called intermediate wall separat4

THESSALONIKI

of the 5th, 7th and 9th century are preserved at


the two pillars of the chancel and at the western
wall of the central aisle. Beneath the transept of
the Church is the Crypt, which, in the Late Byzantine Era, was the centre of the Saints miraculous myrrh production. It currently houses an
exhibition primarily consisting of Early Christian
and Byzantine sculptures.
13 C4

9 D4

Church of Panayia Chalkeon Junction of 2


Chalkeon Street & Egnatias Street. (1028). This
church was built in and named after the coppersmiths district by Christophoros Protospatharios, Katepano (Governor) of Lagouvardia, his wife
Maria and his children Nikiphoros, Anna and Katakali, as a sepulchral chapel.

Church of Aghios Nikolaos Orphanos 20 Herodotou Street. The catholicon of a Byzantine monastery. The ruins of its entrance have also been
preserved. The exquisite mural decoration of the
Church constitutes one of most complete painting complexes preserved in Thessaloniki and is
representative of Paleologan art.

14 C5

10 D4

Church of the Acheiropoietos 56 Aghias Sofias Street. (5th century). Built as a three-aisled
wooden-roofed basilica with a narthex and gallery over the ruins of a Roman bath complex. Its
interior is distinct for its architectural sculptures
on the colonnades separating the three aisles.
Excellent mosaics are also preserved on the intrados of the colonnade arches, the galleries and
the trivelon (arcade) in the narthex.

Church of Taxiarches 40 Theotokopoulou


Street. A catholicon, most likely of a Byzantine
monastery, dedicated to the Archangels and Taxiarchs, Michael and Gabriel. A two-storey building with an underground sepulchral crypt.Fragments of its mural dcor have been preserved
(2nd half of the 14th century).
11 C4

15 C5

Byzantine baths unction of Theotokopoulou


Street & Krispou Street (Kule Kafe). (13th century). The only public Byzantine baths currently preserved in Thessaloniki. A small building of
rectangular design, it retains all the areas necessary for a bath: an antechamber, a tepid area,
a warm area and a reservoir.

Church of Aghia Sophia Aghias Sophias Square.


late 7th-early 8th century). This church is dedicated to Christ, the true Word and Wisdom of God
and was built at the location of a large 5th century Early Christian Basilica. A typical example of a
domed transitional cross-in-square church with
a peristoon, in imitation of the Aghia Sophia in Istanbul. The mosaic decor in its interior testifies
to the high intellectual and artistic level of the city
throughout the centuries.

12 C4

Church of Aghios DimitriosCrypt 97 Aghiou


Dimitriou Street. Built on the ruins of a Roman
bath complex.Demetrius, an officer in the Roman Army, was imprisoned and martyred there
in 303. The original small bethel was succeeded by a Basilica church. It was destroyed almost
completely in the fire of 1917 and rebuilt between
1918 and 1948. The church, dedicated to the patron saint of Thessaloniki, is one of worship and
is renowned for its mosaics that survived the
great fire of 1917. Eleven anathematic mosaics

MONUMENTS MAP

17 C5

18 C5

2 C4

Bezesteni Junction of Venizelou Street & Solomou Street. (15th century). A point of reference
for the commercial life of the city under Ottoman rule.Possibly built during the rule of Sultan
Mehmet II (1455-1459). The external surrounding stores were added in the early 20th century.
3 C4

19 C5

Hamza Bey Mosque Junction of Egnatias Street


& Venizelou Street. (1467-1468). Known as Alcazar, after the cinema that operated in the colonnaded courtyard of the monument, it was built
by the daughter of military commander Hamza
Bey, initially as a small district mosque. It was
expanded with the addition of two rectangular
domed areas and an asymmetrical perimetric
enclosed arcade.

Rotunda Aghiou Georgiou Square Originally


built as a pericentric building along the sacred
road connecting the triumphal arch of Galerius
with the palace complex, the building, possible of
a worshipping and secular-administrative character, served the needs of the palace complex or
was a monument dedicated to the glory of Constantine. In the 5th century, it was converted into
a Christian church dedicated to the Aghioi Asomatoi or the Archangels. Its excellent mosaic decor covers the arches of the conches and the intrados of the windows and dome in three zones.

4 C4

Bey HamamLoutra Paradissos Junction of


Egnatias Street & Aristotelous Street. (1444).
Built by Sultan Murad II. It was the first bath to
be built after the occupation of the city by the
Ottomans and was the largest double bath in
Greece, with independent sections for men and
women.
5 C4

Yeni Hamam (Aegle) Junction of Kassandrou


Street & Aghiou Nikolaou Street. (late 16th
century).A small Ottoman bathhouse. It was built
by Hsrev Kedhuda, manager of glebe properties in Thessaloniki. It belongs to the double bath
type, with separate sections for men and women, and a three-section plan. It suffered significant damage due to its use as a cinema.

Ottoman Monuments
>

Yahudi Hamam Junction of Komninon Street


& Vassileos Irakliou Street (Louloudadika district). (late 15thearly 16th century). This building, located in the Jewish district, was known by
various names: Pazar Hamam (Bazaar Bath) or
Pazari Kebir Hamam (Great Bazaar Bath) or Halil
Aga Hamam, after its founder. It was constructed
as a double bath, with two separate sections, one
for men and one for women.

Eastern WallsRampartWhite Tower Through


Filikis Etairias Street, where visible sections of
the rampart and triangular cantilevers of the
main wall are preserved, we reach the White
Tower, at the meeting point between the marine
and eastern land wall. The tower, in its presentday form, was built in the 15th century as a part
of the modernisation of fortifications, replacing
an older Byzantine tower. It currently houses the
City Museum.

16 C5

Church of Metamorphosis tou Sotiros Junction


of Egnatias Street & Paleon Patron Germanou
Street 1340 onwards).Possibly built as a sepulchral chapel to a Byzantine monastery. Its mural
decor is part of the Paleologan tradition.

1 5

Church of Aghios Panteleimon Junction of Arrianou Street & Iassonidou Street. (1295-1314).
This church was the catholicon of the Theotokou
Perivleptou Monastery and is also known as Mr
Isaacs Monastery, by its founder, the Metropolitan Bishop, Jacob.

>

ed the Acropolis from Ano Poli (the Upper City).


Following the wall towards the northeast, the
Gate of Anna Paleologina (1355-1356) opens up,
which once led to the area outside the walls. The
intermediate wall ends towards the NE at Alysseos Tower or Trigonion Tower. This is a circular
tower constructed in the 15th century, incorporating an older square tower that formed part of
the Byzantine fortifications.

Map on pages 22-23,25-26


7

THESSALONIKI

6 C4

11 4

Alaca Imaret 91-93 Kassandrou Street. (1484).


Built by Ishak Pasha, Grand Vizier under the
rule of Mehmed II and administrator under
the rule of Bayezid II. Based on its architectural type, it belongs to the category of early Ottoman mosques with a reverse-T plan with a central area, lateral compartments on the western
side and a pillared arcade.

Customs House, Port Passenger Terminal


Piers A & B of the Port. (1910-1912). Built by architect Alex Valory, the contractor being Eli Modiano. It is the first building in the city constructed
with a reinforced concrete frame. The warehouses on Pier A, which currently house the Photography Museum and the Cinema Museum, also
date back to the same period.

7 C4

12 See A4 (Large Map)

Tourbes Musa Baba Terpsitheas SquareAno


Poli. (mid-16th century). It is the only intact Ottoman Mausoleum preserved in Thessaloniki and
the only surviving construction of a building complex that housed the religious and social activities of the order of Bektashi Dervishes. It has an
octagonal plan and is domed.

Old Central Pump House 47 26th OktovriouStreet. (1890-1894). The complex was erected
1,500 metres from the western walls of the historic centre of the city. The management and exploitation of Thessalonikis water supply was
then undertaken by the Ottoman Water Company, which had been founded by Belgian capitalists in 1888 with its headquarters in Istanbul.
The project was constructed by Belgian engineers. The old Central Pump House building has
been restored and converted into the Water Supply Museum.

8 4

Pasha Hamam Junction of Kalvou Street, Piniou Street & Karatza Street. (1520-1530). Built by
the governor of Thessaloniki, Cezeri Kasim Pasha, initially as a single and later converted into
a double bathhouse, with sections for men and
women.

13 4

Ottoman Bank Junction of 7 Frangon Street &


Leontos Sofou Street (~1903). Built as an Ottoman Bank in the Frangomachalas district,
which was full of inns and commercial arcades.
It was built on the foundation of Jake Abbotts
mansion, which was destroyed after a bombing
attack by Bulgarians in 1903. Sultan Abdul Mejid
had been a guest at the Abbott mansion in 1858.
The sculptures in the courtyard had been transported there from Abbotts country house. The
architects Barouh and Amar undertook the reconstruction of the Ottoman Bank. They adopted a Neo-Baroque style with French influences.
The building operated as an IKA (Social Insurance Institute) branch and today houses the
State Conservatory of Thessaloniki.

9 D7

Yeni Camii (Old Archaeological Museum) 30 Archaeologikou Mouseiou Street. (1902). Built according to designs by Italian architect Vitaliano
Poselli, in the then-European district of Pyrgoi,
as a mosque for the Donmeh community (Jews
who had converted to Islam). A characteristic
example of 20th century eclectic architecture. In
1924, it housed the Archaeological Museum of
Thessaloniki. It currently hosts cultural events.
10 C4

Dioiketerion Junction of Aghiou Dimitriou


Street & F. Dragoumi Street.((1891). Built near
the ruins of a Byzantine palace by architect Vitaliano Poselli, this was the Konak (administration building) of the Ottoman period and seat of
the Wali. An additional storey has been added to
the original building, along with the pediment of
the facade. It currently houses the Ministry of
Macedonia & Thrace.

14 D5

Old Faculty of Philosophy, AUTh (Aristotle University of Thessaloniki) University Campus,


Ethnikis Amynis Street. (1887). Built as the Ottoman School of Public Administration (Idadiye Mektebi). Designed by architect Vitaliano Po8

MONUMENTS MAP

selli. In 1927, the newly formed University of


Thessaloniki was housed here. The building is
known as the Old Faculty of Philosophy of Aristotle University, part of which remains housed
there to this day.

19 C4

House of Mustafa Kemal Atatrk 75 Apostolou Pavlou Street (within the premises of the
Turkish Consulate). (1870). Erected by Muderri
Hadji Mehmed Vakf. The founder of the Republic of Turkey is alleged to have been born here
in 1881 and to have lived here until 1888. After
the signing of the Treaty of Lausanne, the building became the property of the Greek State. It
then became the property of the Municipality of Thessaloniki, which donated it to Mustafa Kemal. Since 1953, it has been operating as
a museum and attracts many Turkish visitors
to the city.

15 D4

Aghios Dimitrios Hospital 2 Elenis Zografou


Street. (1902-1903). Built as a Hospital for Destitute Foreigners (Gureba Hastanesi) and then
converted into a Municipal Hospital (Hamidiye
Belediyesi). It included the Rabies Clinic building (modern-day Ano Poli nursery) and the Gardens of the Pasha. It currently belongs to the
Municipality and operates as Aghios Dimitrios Hospital.

20 C4

16 D4

Ano Poli (Upper/Old City) Library 7 Krispou


StreetRomfei Square (Kule Kafe). (1897-1905).
Erected as the residence for an Ottoman military
man.An example of a Balkan residence with a
broad facade and curved windows on the central axes. It currently belongs to the Municipality and houses the Municipal and Childrens Library of Ano Poli.

Kipoi tou Passa Entrance from El. Zografou


Street and OCHI Avenue. (1904). A green space
that served as garden to the Hospital located to
the south. The origin of its name is unknown.
The constructs found there are an example of
the fantastic architecture movement, the only
similar construct found in the city being a drinking fountain in Modiano mansion.

21 C4

17 C5

inari Junction of Kleious Street & Alex. Papadopoulou Street.sinari is the Turkish word for
plane tree. This district is home to the drinking
fountain of Murad II and the inari caf (typical
of the cafs of the Ottoman period), as well as
buildings of Balkan architecture dating back
to the early 20th century. The area retains the
character of an old neighbourhood of a bygone
era.

Sintrivani Junction of Ethnikis Amynis Street


& Egnatias Street, Syntrivaniou Square. (1889).
The fountain was a gift by Sultan Abdul Hamid to
the people of Thessaloniki. On the day of its inauguration, cherry sorbet flowed from the fountain. It remained in the same position until 1936.
The present-day fountain is a faithful reconstruction of the original and was placed in the
same spot in 1977.

22 D7

18 See D6 (Large Map)

Scholi Tyflon 32 Vassilissis Olgas Avenue.


(1879). Built by Hazif Bey according to designs
by architect Xenophon Peonidis. It housed
the Constantinides trade school, the Aghios
Stylianos Crche, etc. During the German Occupation, it was requisitioned by the Germans.
Since 1961, it has housed the School for the
Blind.

3rd Army CorpsStrategeion 1 Leoforos Stratou (Stratou Avenue). (1900-1901). In 1830, this
was the first building to house an Ottoman barracks in the region. This building was erected
in 1900-01, designed by Vitaliano Poselli and
funded by the residents of the city. In 1916, it was
used as the government house by the temporary Venizelos government. It currently houses
the headquarters of the 3rd Army Corps.
9

THESSALONIKI

>

23 D7

MONUMENTS MAP

Villa Mehmet Kapanci 105 Vassilissis Olgas Avenue. A three-storey villa designed by Pierro Arrigoni. An example of a country house with Viennese, Art Nouveau influences andNeo-Gothic
and Neo-Arab elements. The first owners of
the plot are alleged to have been Yusuf and Ahmet Kapanci. During the German Occupation, it
housed the Gestapo, while NATO services operated in the building from 1954 to 1973. It served
as the headquarters of the Thessaloniki Cultural Capital of Europe 1997 Organisation and currently houses the Organisation of Planning and
Environmental Protection of Thessaloniki.

Jewish Monuments

is. The French influence is obvious, with dominant Art Nouveau elements. The building
stands out for its trapezoid scaled roof. In 1913,
the building was purchased by the Municipality and was offered to King Constantine as a palace. It was then used the residence of the governors of Macedonia, which is why it is known in
the city as the Palaion Kyverneion (Old Government House). It later housed the Military Medical School. Since 1970, it has housed the Folklife
and Ethnological Museum of Macedonia-Thrace, which is open to the public with occasional
and permanent exhibitions.

4 4

Jewish Museum Junction of Venizelou Street


& Aghiou Mina Street. (1906). The building was
erected to function as a commercial gallery and
the Bank of Athens was housed on its first floor.
It is one of the few buildings in the city centre that
survived the fire of 1917. It currently houses the
Jewish Museum of Thessaloniki and is open to
the public.
5 4

>

Map on pages 24-25, 26

1 C4

24 C8

Monastirioton Synagogue 35 Syggrou Street.


(1927). The Monastioriton Synagogue (Synagogue of the Monastiriotes) was founded with
a donation by Ida Aroesti in memory of her husband, Isaac. Families from Monastiri (presentday Bitola) who had settled in Thessaloniki after
the Balkan Wars and World War I also contributed to the erection of the building. When the Jewish population of the city were transported to the
Nazi concentration camps, the Synagogue was
used by the Red Cross and thus escaped destruction. It remains in operation today, serving
the religious needs of the Jewish Community.

Villa Ahmet Kapanci 108 Vassilissis Olgas Avenue. (1898). Built as the country house of Ahmet
Kapanci. A characteristic building in the eclectic
style, it consists of a main building and a tower. It
hosted the triumvirate of Venizelos, Kountouriotis and Danglis. It currently houses the National Bank of Greece Cultural Foundation (MIET)
and operates a bookstore and exhibition area.
25 D8

Villa Mordoch 162 Vassilissis Olgas Avenue.


(1905).Built for Turkish divisional commander Seifoulah Pasha by architect Xenophon Peonidis. An example of eclectic architecture, with
the co-existence of several styles: Neoclassical,
Renaissance, Baroque and Art Nouveau. The
building stands out for its corner tower-like layout with a dome. In 1930, it became the property of Mordoch. It operates as an IKA multi-clinic
from 1952 to 1972. It is currently the property of
the Municipality and houses the Directorate of
Culture-Tourism and the 5th Municipal District.

2 4

Yad Lezikaron Synagogue 24 Vassileos Irakliou Street. (1984). The Yad LezikaronSynagogue is dedicated to the memory of the victims of the Holocaust. It was built on the site of
Bourla, a small bethel also known as Caal de
la Plaza (Market Synagogue) that had been operating since 1921 to serve the religious needs
of the numerous Jews who worked in the nearby marketplace.
3 5

Holocaust Monument Eleftherias Square.


(1997). Sculpture by the Glint brothers. Its installation at Eleftherias Square in 2006 is linked
to the fact that this was the place where the Nazis gathered Jewish men in July 1942, subjecting them to humiliation and torture.
10

Stoa Saoul Junction of Ermou Street, Venizelou


Street & 15 Vassileos Irakleiou Street. A commercial arcade complex built by Saul Modiano, a
renowned Jewish banker, connecting Vassileos
Irakliou Street with Ermou Street and Venizelou
Street and Ionos Dragoumi Street. The arcade
housed the offices of architect Eli Modiano and
the Modiano Mortgage Bank. It was constructed between 1867 and 1871, while a section of the
arcade was destroyed in the fire of 1917. It was
reconstructed in 1929, modifying the arcade to
a -shape. It serves as a historical document to
the flourishing of the Modiano family, which began with Saul, a poor employee who became
one of the richest men in the Ottoman Empire.

8 D9

Casa Bianca Junction of 214 Vassilissis Olgas


Avenue & Th. Sofouli Street. (1912). In 1911,
Dino Fernandez-Diaz, a Jew of Spanish origin,
purchased the plot for his Swiss wife, Blanche.
The Fernandez family was a key player in the
business life of that era. The mansion was
erected according to designs by Pierro Arrigoni. It came to be known as Casa Bianca from the
name of his wife. Despite its eclectic temperament, it is mostly an Art Nouveau building and is
one of the best known mansions of the city, both
for its architecture and for a romantic story: the
romance between the daughter of the family,
Alina, and Second Lieutenant Alibertis, at a time
when the difference between social classes and
religious belief was a deterrent. It currently belongs to the Municipality and houses the Municipal Art Gallery.

6 C5

Agora Modiano Junction of 24 Ermou Street,


Vassileos Irakleiou Street & Komnenon Street.
(1922). The largest indoor market of Thessaloniki was built by architect Eli Modiano, a member
of the renowned family that dominated the business life of the city. It is organised into arcades
surrounded by lofts, in accordance with European standards of the time. At present, it remains
the central marketplace of the city, with stalls
selling meat, fish, spices and other wares, as
well as tavernas and bars. Its condition urgently requires preservation work.

9 C9

Villa Allatini 198 Vassilissis Olgas Avenue. Villa Allatini, designed by Italian architect Vitaliano
Poselli, was built before 1888 as the country house of Charles Allatini, near the family
mills. Along with the Modiano family, the Allatini family were among the most powerful business families in the city. This villa was the largest and most luxurious in the Exoches area. The
building is located in the centre of a particularly
large courtyard and stands out for its red brick
construction. From 1909 to 1912, Sultan Abdul
Hamid was exiled after the Young Turk Revolution and stayed at the villa. In 1926, it housed
the newly founded University of Thessaloniki

7 C7

Villa Modiano 84 Vassilissis Olgas Avenue.


(1906). (1906). The building was constructed
for Yako Modiano according to designs by Eli
Modiano. It is one of the first buildings of the famous civil engineer after returning from Par11

THESSALONIKI

for just a year and was also used as a Military


Hospital. From 1979, it has housed the services
of the Ministry of the Interior, the Prefecture of
Thessaloniki and, at present, the Region of Central Macedonia.

2 C5

Nea Panayia Junction of Dimitriou Gounari


Street & Mitropoleos Street. Dedicated to the
Dormition of the Virgin Mary, the church had
previously been known as Megali (Great) or Trani (Powerful). It was built on the site of the catholicon of a 12th century monastery dedicated
to the Virgin Mary. The church was burned in a
fire in 1690 and was reconstructed in 1727 as a
three-aisled Basilica with a gynaeconite (womens gallery), an open stoa to the west and a portico to the south. Its wall decorations are of great
interest, as they revive Palaeologan models and
thus comprise the only complete 17th century
wall painting in Thessaloniki.

10 9

Allatini Mills Junction of Antheon Street & Th.


Sofouli Street. (mid-19th century).The Allatini Mills Industrial Area. The industrial activity
of the Allatini family began with Moses Allatini, who operated a roller mill and pottery, and
continued with his sons, who founded the Fratelli Allatini company. The present-day central building of the Mills was constructed in
1898 according to plans by Vitaliano Poselli after the previous building burnt down. The building complex includes the administration building (old residence), warehouses, refrigeration
areas and the roller mill building, surrounded
by the boiler room, the machine shop and the
chimney of Belgian construction. The complex,
which is historical for the city and the beginning
of industry, remains unutilised and awaits its reinclusion in the active web of the city.

3 C5

>

Aghios Antonios Junction of Filikis Etairias


Street & Margariti Street. This was a private
chapel of the Metropolitan Church of Thessaloniki and was used an asylum for the mentally ill. According to its layout, it is a small, twoaisled building with its eastern side abutting on
the interior of a triangular tower of the Byzantine wall. It dates back to the 18th century, with
the open porticos to the south and west added
at a later date.
4 C5

Hypapante Junction of Egnatias Street & Agapinou Street. (1531). According to written sources, the church, which was a monastery dependency of a Mr Joel, was given by Patriarch
Joasaph to the Monastery of Aghia Anastasia. After numerous tribulations, it came under the jurisdiction of the Metropolitan Church
and served as a parish church after 1865. It is a
three-aisled Basilica with a gynaeconite.

Post-Byzantine Churches
>

Map on pages 20-21

MONUMENTS MAP

6 C5

Aghios Charalambos Junction of Exadaktylou


Street & Egnatias Street. (1905). This is a glebe
of Simonopetra Monastery of Mt Athos. It was
built on the site of a previous, smaller church.
7 C5

Aghios Athanassios Junction of Egnatias


Street & Sokratous Street. (1818). Despite later interventions, it retains its original form as a
three-aisled basilica with a gynaeconite in the
form of an internal gallery that is supported on
pillars and surrounds the church in a shape. It
has not been verified whether it was built on the
site of an earlier church of the same name found
in 14th century sources.

Modern monuments
>
1 4

Ladadika Area around Morrichovou Square.


(mid-19th century). This area was the Byzantine port of Thessaloniki. During the period of
Ottoman rule, it was embanked and, under the
name Istira, was the citys centre of wholesale
trade. The Ladadika quarter was named from
the wholesale trade of oil and was spared from
the devastating fire of 1917, retaining the character and memories of the late-19th century
market. Different types of buildings and styles
compose an image of the citys architecture and
street planning out of the past. Today, the area
remains vibrant, as it is home to numerous offices, restaurants and cafs.

8 C5

Aghios Georgios Rotunda Square.Located


west of the monument named after it, it served
as a chapel of the Metropolitan Church of Thessaloniki until 1758. Its present-day forma
three-aisled basilica with an added continuing space on the southern sideis the result of
a renovation that took place in 1815.
9 C4

Laodigitria or Panayia Lagoudiani Junction of


Ioulianou Street & Athinas Street. According
to sources, the church was founded in the 14th
century by a man named Lagoudiatis or Lagoudatis. In the 15th century, it was the catholicon
of a nunnery that was a dependency of Vlatadon Monastery. Its present-day form as a threeaisled basilica with a gynaeconite is the result of
a renovation that took place in 1802.

2 5

Eleftherias Square (1870). This was the area


where the waterfront used to be and the Byzantine sea wall rose to the north. It was opened up
when the wall was demolished and present-day
Venizelou Street was constructed to link the Konak (Government House) with the waterfront. It
was the first entrance of visitors to the city arriving by sea and was home to hotels, restaurants and nightclubs. It was originally named
Apovathras (Wharf) Square and subsequently
Olympus Square, as it offered a view of the legendary mountain. It was renamed Eleftherias (Liberty) Square during the rise of the Young
Turks, who marched to the square shouting
messages of liberty and egalitarianism. After
the fire of 1917, its role diminished, as Aristotelous Square was planned. It also served as the

5 C5
1 B4

Panagouda or Panayia Gorgoepekoos Junction of Egnatias Street & Paleon Patron Germanou Street. (1818). Dedication to the Nativity of the Virgin Mary, the present-day church is a
stone-built three-aisled Basilica with an irregular plan and a gynaeconite, built on the site of
a previous church that was destroyed by a fire
in 1817.

Aghios Minas Junction of Ionos Dragoumi


Street & Vassileos Irakleiou Street. In its present-day form, it is a characteristic example
of a 19th century church-building. The church
had existed from the 9th century, according to
sources of the time, while its conch belongs to a
previous Early Christian church.
12

Map on pages 27-31

13

THESSALONIKI

site of the first drama in the tragic history of the


Jews of the city (see Holocaust Museum). In the
1950s, it was converted into a parking space and
bus terminal.

Municipality of Thessaloniki that aims at promoting Mount Athos.


6 C5

Old Oekokyriki School 132 Egnatias Street.


Purchased after 1890 by the Greek Community and served as a school since 1893. It is directly linked to the development of the education
of the citys Greek Community. It has housed a
Boys School, a Girls School and the Domestic
Sciences School. It currently houses the 13th
Gymnasium (Lower Secondary School).

3 5

Aristotelous Square The creation of the square


was planned after the great fire of 1917 that destroyed the centre of Thessaloniki. A historic and vital part of the city, it served as the central axis of the redesign of the city by Ernest
Hbrard. The architecture of building facades
is inspired by European or colonial models, as
well as Neo-Byzantine tendencies in the individual decor of buildings. It is a rare example of
implementation of scheduled architecture. The
buildings were constructed from 1930 to 1960.
Thanks to its orientation, the square enjoys an
enchanting view of Mt Olympus. The square is
home to numerous points of reference of the
city, including Electra Palace Hotel and Olympion Cinema, headquarters of the International Film Festival.

7 C5

The Red House 31 Aghias Sofias Street.


(1926). An interbellum building designed for Ioannis Longos by Panayiotis Stais. Its facade is
dominated by curves and uses traditional materials (brick, wood). The overhangs of the central sections, with a tower-like character, are of
interest, while the curved corner bay window is
impressive. Legend had it that it was a haunted house, and it has remained empty for years.

4 4

8 C5

Hotel Vienni 2-4 Egnatias Street. (1925). The


hotel was erected in an area that, after 1880,
was home to numerous hotels. The owner was
Kostas Manolas and the plans were designed
by architect Georgios Kambanellos. It was constructed on the site of the Church of St Kyriaki
that belonged to the Greek Community. Its facade shows the influence of eclectic trends incorporated in the general principles of organisation of a neoclassical building.

Former Greek Consulate 6 Aghias Sofias


Street. (1890-93). Andreas Syngros covered
the expense of the erection of the building, designed by Ernest Ziller. The area was the centre of the Greek Community from 1590 until the
fire of 1890. The building is among the rare examples of pure Neo-classical style in the city. It
housed the Greek Consulate, which contributed greatly to the Macedonian Struggle. Since
1981, it has housed the Museum of the Macedonian Struggle.

5 C5

Nedelkos Building 109 Egnatias Street. (1909).


Erected according to plans by architect Xenophon Peonidis, the building served as residence to Ioannis Nedelkos and later came to
be known as Nedelkos Clinic. After the earthquake of 1978, it was designated for demolition,
but renovation and reconstruction works began within the framework of the works for the
Cultural Capital of Europe 1997. Since 2004, it
has housed the activities of the Agioritiki Estia (Mount Athos Centre), a non-profit company of the

ANO POLI (UPPER/OLD CITY)


This is the northern-most and highest section
of the old hub of the city and has preserved elements of its historical past. Its first residents
were Christian families in the 4th and 5th century and by the 16th century it had become a primarily Turkish quarter, except for the neighbourhoods around Byzantine monasteries and
14

MONUMENTS MAP

churches. Due to its inaccessible terrain, it was


always a residential area. After 1922 and the
population exchange, the abandoned homes
became primarily the residences of refugees
from Asia Minor. The dominant characteristic
of the residences of traditional Balkan architecture was the ahni, i.e. a bay window on the
upper storey. The area has largely preserved its
unique residential character to this day, with
low houses, narrow, maze-like streets, steep
inclines and openings with a view of Thermaikos Gulf.

Vlatadon Monastery. The conversion of the


Church of Taxiarches into a mosque drew the
Muslim population to the region, while its adjacency to Vlatadon Monastery, which remained
a functioning Christian monastery, rendered
the area one of the most densely populated
and mixed neighbourhoods in the Upper City.
The two-storey building with a courtyard and a
wooden extension (type of bay window) of noteworthy design was donated in 1980 to the Ministry of Culture. Today, it co-houses the Ephorate of Contemporary and Modern Monuments
of Central Macedonia.

9 C4

13 D6

Building at 25 Theophilou Street (Kule Kafe). A


remarkable building that was possibly built to
house an Ottoman school in the late 19th century, it bears elements of neoclassical architecture. The building belongs to the Municipality of
Thessaloniki and, until recently, housed the department of the Deputy Mayor for Culture.

Archaeological Museum 6 Manoli Andronikou Street. (1962). After its temporary housing
at Yeni Camii, the museum acquired a permanent home at the building designed by Patroklos Karantinos. An important representative of
modernism, he was inspired by the introversion
of the Greek home. The museum houses occasional and permanent exhibitions on the region of Macedonia from the prehistoric era to
late antiquity.

10 C4

Mansion at 13 Theophilou Street (Kule Kafe).


(late 19th century).A mansion that stands out for
the pedimental corners above the bay windows
and the decorated wooden elements dominated by curves. The building belongs to the Hellenic Public Real Estate Service and houses the
Publishers Association of Northern Greece
and the Society for the Preservation of Historical Archives.

14 D6

Museum of Byzantine Culture 2 Stratou Avenue. (1989-1993).Housed in a modern building, designed by architect Kyriakos Krokos.
The building, severe and minimalistic in design,
combines elements of modernism and traditional Greek architecture. It won the Council of
Europe Museum Prize in 2005.

11 D4

Building at 17 Herodotou Street (late 19th century). Herodotou Street, passing in front of the
Church of Aghios Nikolaos Orphanos, is one of
the few Byzantine streets of the city. It was home
to Christian families as the church was never converted into a mosque. The building was
purchased by the Ministry of Culture in 1979
and has since housed the Ephorate of Contemporary and Modern Monuments of Central Macedonia.

15 D6

Papafeion Orphanage 33 Papafi Street. (18941903). Ioannis Papafis was born in Thessaloniki in 1792 and although he lived abroad, he never forgot his birthplace. His endowment covered
the expense for the erection of the building, designed by Xenophon Peonidi and surrounded by
pine trees. It was Papafis wish that a Boys Orphanage named Meliteus be founded and maintained. Its E-shaped plan symbolised Eleftheri
Ellada (a Liberated Greece). Apart from accommodation, the orphanage also provided orphans
with technical training (tailoring, carpentry,
shoemaking, furniture-making, electrical work,

12 D4

Building at 47 Mousson Street Mousson Street


and Akropoleos Street were the main roads of
the Taxiarches neighbourhood that bordered
15

THESSALONIKI

ironmongery, machining). It currently operates


as the Boys Care Centre of Thessaloniki.

the destruction of Smyrna, Melissa Orphanage


was relocated here. The building was requisitioned during the German Occupation and operated as an orphanage once more from the liberation until 1977. It currently houses the Centre
for Byzantine Research of Aristotle University).

16 D7

Former Russian Hospital 35 Papanastassiou Street. (1907). Build to serve the needs of
the Russian Community, it operated until the
Russian Revolution, at which time the Russian
Community was dissolved. It then became a
maternity clinic and currently houses the Historical Archives of Macedonia.

20 C8

Chateau Mon Bonheur 110 Vassilissis Olgas


Avenue. (1890).Built by Dimitris Ioannis Tsakirdekis according to designs by Frederic Charnot. It consisted of two buildings: a mansion
and a caf. The building stands out for its Venetian-style battlements and external red brick
facades. The building is in need of restoration.

17 D7

Villa Michaelidi 24 Vassilissis Olgas Avenue.


(1890). In 1886, this plot, extending to the sea,
was purchased by G. Ch. Themelis. The residence became the property of Levy Saul Modiano and subsequently of the brothers Mario
and Joseph Naar, before being purchased by
the Michaelidis family in 1926. It is a remarkable building, typical of the eclectic style that prevailed in Thessaloniki from the late 19th to the
early 20th century.

21 C8

Villa Chatzilazarou 131 Vassilissis Olgas Avenue. (1890).Built by Euphrosyne Chatzilazarou, wife of Pericles Chatzilazarou, according to designs by architect Xenophon Peonidis.
1912, after the liberation of the city, it accommodated the heir to the throne, Constantine.
The house was also the place where his father,
King George, lay in state after he was murdered
in 1913. It currently belongs to the Siagas family.

18 D7

Salem Mansion 20 Vassilissis Olgas Avenue.


(1878).Built by a French Jew named Jeborga. In
1894, it was sold to Jewish lawyer Emmanuel
Salem, a distinguished attorney of Thessaloniki
with an international career. In 1898, the mansion was the birthplace of his son, Raphal Salem, an outstanding mathematician who excelled at American Universities and gave his
name to the Salem Numbers and a prize for
mathematicians. In 1924, the building was purchased by the Italian State, to which it continues
to belong, and served as the Italian Consulate
until 1978. The building remains unused and in
need of restoration.

22 D9

Villa Morpurgo 16 Chaeronias Street. The villa


was erected before 1906 according to designs
by architect Vitaliano Poselli. The owner was
an Italian Jewish woman named Fanny Ouziel,
wife of Moise Morpurgo, director of the Allatini
flour mill. It is adjacent to the Ouziel residence
and Villa Allatini. The building has obvious elements of Art Nouveau in its window frames
and ironwork. It was once home to PIKPA and
its soup kitchen. In 1952, Nikolaos Zardinidis
purchased the villa from the heir of the original
owner. Since 1997, it has housed the Conservatory of Northern Greece and the Villarte Centre
of Culture and Art.

19 D7

Former Melissa Orphanage 36 Vassilissis Olgas Avenue. (1897).Built for Osman Ali Bey. In
1913, King Ferdinand of Bulgaria was a guest
here and in 1914, it was converted into the
Bulgarian Consulate. In 1915, upon the arrival of the Arme dOrient (Army of the Orient) in
Thessaloniki, it was occupied by the French and
housed the French Army Headquarters. After

23 2

Moni Lazariston 21 Kolokotroni Street. (1861).


The monastery was built by monks of the order
of St Vincent de Paul. It originally served as an
orphanage and, subsequently, as the catholic
seminary of the Great Convent of St Lazarus.
16

MONUMENTS MAP

Stavroupolis District

It later serves as a hospital and refugee reception and accommodation centre after 1922. It
ceased to operate after the earthquake of 1978.
The building was restored by the Thessaloniki
Cultural Capital of Europe 1997 Organisation. It
currently serves as the State Museum of Contemporary Art, which houses the renowned
Kostakis Collection, consisting of works of the
Russian Avant-garde.

28 2

Zeitelnik Allied Cemetery Langada Street (approximately 1.5km from Vardaris Square). The
largest military necropolis in the country, this is
the burial site of approximately 20,000 soldiers
of the Entente allies of World War I (Frenchmen, Serbs, Italians, British, Russians, as well
as Bulgarian prisoners). The noteworthy characteristic of the cemeteries is their uniform design.

24 C5

Armenian Orthodox Church of the Virgin Mary


4 Dialetti Street. (1903). The church was erected
after extensive actions by the Armenian Community to acquire a place of worship. It was designed by architect Vitaliano Poselli and remains in operation. It is located adjacent to the
Armenian Cultural Centre and the offices of the
Community.
.

29 1

New Jewish Cemetery Dimitriou & Karaoli


Street. Ceded to the Jewish Community in 1938.
The old cemetery, which was destroyed by the
Germans during the Occupation, was located at
the site of the present-day University Campus.
The few graves that escaped destruction at the
old cemetery were relocated to the new one and
a monument was erected for the tens of thousands of Thessaloniki Jews who lost their lives
during the Holocaust.

25 4

Holy Catholic Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary 19 Frangon Street. (1899).Built on the site of an older
church. The region was the Frangomachalas
(Quarter of the Francs), where the European
population of the city was active. The Cathedral
remains in operation, serving the needs of the
citys Catholic residents.

Dendropotamos District
30 4

Indian Cemetery of Harmankioi Monastiriou Street (near the entrance to Ziakas Military
Camp). The Cemetery belongs to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission and is the resting place of the buried and cremated remains of
approximately 500 Indians of the English colonial forces who lost their lives during World War I.

CEMETERIES
Evangelistria District
26 D5

Orthodox Cemetery 159 Aghiou Dimitriou Street. (1875).Ceded to the Brotherhood of


Friends of the Poor as a burial site for the Orthodox Christian community.
27 D4

Armenian Cemetery, Protestant Cemetery


Elenis Zografou Street-Evangelistria. Constructed in the late 19th century.
17

ol

le

os

ou
son

Mou

as

son
ou

re

Zo

gr

af

Mo

hi

as

El

en

is

re

ou

dot

vl
Pa

Iro

u
La

os

zo

to

lo

as
fi

po

Ex
a

So
as

lo

hi

te

E5

D5

Fi

li

Ag

to

ou

po

Mou

io

hi
ti

us

C5
ki

pp

ou

eo

Ah

gi

in

is

Am
h.
P.

im

ro

Al

Sv

ti

ARISTOTELEIO PANEPISTIMIO
THESSALONIKIS (UNIVERSITY AREA)

ol

mi

la

Da
gk

li

Am
h.

St

r.

Et
Ts

im

is

ia

ki

ou

CHOROS DIETHNOUS EKTHESIS


THESSALONIKIS (HELEXPO TIF)

Nik. Germanou

s
Av

C6

ki

18

Ko

na

io

at

Palace complex of Roman Caesar Gaius Galerius Valerius


Maximianus
Hippodrome
Section of the ancient road at the Macedonian Museum
of Modern Art
Galerius Triumphal Arch (Camara)
Monumental fountain
Roman Forum
Roman temple
Kyprion Agoniston Square
Rotunda

ou

Eg

Ni

B6

e.

ou

tr

n
Eg

4
5
6
7
8
9

Av

eo

ol

Despere

2
3

en

ol

Sv

ti

ki

ox

op

Di

Aggelaki

tr

ki

Al

let

Pr

Ni

ROMAN MONUMENTS

Mi

is

ela
P. M

Ts

Ger
P.

Dia

e.

ou

mi

Et
ou
man

is

Av

in

So
fi
as

ki

Ag
hi
as

Ni

rgi

ro

poul

Ag

tr

Ag
na

is

op

mi

Ar

tr

Di

im

Eg

is

ou

im

Mi

hi

as

ni
z
Ve
.

El

Ts

e.

Ag

Ep

io

rg

pi

ta

os

api

toko

Mo

nido

Av

Ept

Ak

Theo

ou

mon

po

os

Ol

io

Pl

le

is

po

pp

el

ou

li

mo

ak

fth

leo

fi

ze

Fi

Er

Ir

Kla

ou

ou

io

im

El

s
ia
er
th
ef

s.

Kr

ad

Iaso

tr

Ol

ko

ki

Di

mi

no

ag

Ni

LADADIKA

ou

opo

lo

pi

dr

Va

on

as

hi

Io

Fr

THESSALONIKI PORT

B5

Ag

im

an

ni
mi
ou

ra
Vi

Le

ou

ou

io

us

Akr

fi

Ol

ss

Ve

Si
it

la

on

ni

Ka

ag

So

or

s
to

ch

eo

Dr

fo

la

Th

lo
u

u
ro
gg

Va

rg

ko

os
ad
pi
im
Ol

te

pi

ra

ou

as

n
do
ni
go
a

Si

kit

ou

li

An

ti

ior

dr

ti

na

Dodekaniso

Po

. P
ol

E4

So

po

ll
ta
is
Kr

Eg

an

ta

So

he
it
om

im

Pr

Okt
26is

ss

ou
ot
pi
um
Do

Ol

itriou
Karaoli ke Dim

ou
ovri

Ka

ous

Kli

ado

Ep

Dim

Akr
opo
leo
s

mpi

os

nt

Oli

zoli

Ta

io

io

El

ir

tr

Ir
in
is

ou

st

al

mi

r.
St

ou

Ifestionos

Di

Papa

pf

na

ou

D4

Sachin

ch

hi

MONUMENTS MAP

KASTRA (CASTLE)

ri

ou

ht

c
Sa

as

Ag

Lagkada
Mo

Sa

C4

fi

B4

ou

ro

ar

THESSALONIKI

ou

do

Ev

Ap

an

Sev
ill
is

di

Me
te
or
o

av

Ep

pi

Kl

3is

D6

ou 19

vri

tem

Sep

ou

vri

tem

Sep

E6

as

lo
is

pp

ou

tr

ki

ox

Av

en

op

ou

Ko

ro

ol

is
en

is

ou

Di

Am

mi

h.
Et

tr

io

ol

ou

Eg

na

eo

Al

mi

la

li
Da
gk

h.

r.
St

im

ARISTOTELEIO PANEPISTIMIO
THESSALONIKIS (UNIVERSITY AREA)

ia

ki

ou

at

is

Sv

ti

ol

Et
Ts

Aghios Athanassios
Aghios Georgios
Laodigitria or Panayia Lagoudiani

CHOROS DIETHNOUS EKTHESIS


THESSALONIKIS (HELEXPO TIF)

3is

18

s
Av

C6

ki

20

ou

vri

tem

Sep

Nik. Germanou
Ni

B6

gi

in
Sv

Am

e.

ki

ti

P.

is

Al

Ger
P.

is

Ni

Pr

Ah

19

16

2
7
8
9

in

Mi

ou
gr

li

let

So
fi
as
Ag
hi
as

ou
man

Ts

E5

D5

Fi

n
Eg

Aghios Minas
Nea Panayia
Aghios Antonios
Hypapante
Panagouda or Panayia Gorgoepekoos
Aghios Charalambos

Pa
ar

Despere

1
2
3
4
5
6

u
u
La
i
ch

po

im

POST-BYZANTINE CHURCHES

Aggelaki

Ni
Church of Aghios Nikolaos Orphanos
ki
s
Church of Taxiarches
Av
e.
Byzantine baths
Church of Aghios Dimitrios Crypt
Church of Panayia Chalkeon
Church of the Acheiropoeitos
Church of Aghia Sophia
Church of Metamorphosis tou Sotiros
Church of Aghios Panteleimon
RampartWhite Tower
19 Rotunda

ou

dot

Iro

io

17

ela
P. M

6
7
8

9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19

tr

eo

EARLY CHRISTIAN AND BYZANTINE MONUMENTS


Walls
Church of Aghioi Apostoloi
Church of Aghia Ekaterini
Church of Profitis Elias
Church of Hosios David (Latomos
Monastery)
Vlatadon Monastery
Heptapyrgion
Acropolis WallsLapardas Tower
Anna Paleologina GateTrigonion
Tower or Alysseos Tower

as

re

zo

15
1
2
3
4
5

son

Dia

ol

Mou

Zo

Ag

14

hi

ki

Ar

op

us

C5

is

ti

So

as

io

8
son

Ex

na

Ag

Pl

Eg

fi

le

im

tr

mi

hi

er

ia

El

mo

ak

Ts

Mi

Di

im

Er

Ir

El

ef

th

s.

e.

ou

Ag

Ve

13

os

Mou

10

hi

Ol

Va

Av

Ag

as

ni
z

ou

le

ou

poul

toko

Theo

Mo

pp

el

ou

li

11

po

as

Fi

ou

po

re

ze
ni
Ve
.
El

mi

im

ro

po

os

fi

rgi

Ak

leo

af

ou

nido

is

Iaso

B5

Kr

ad

io

Ol

ko

ki

lo

pi

dr

12

no
Io

ag

Ni

im

Dr

ra

Fr

THESSALONIKI PORT

LADADIKA

fi

Ol

api

Ep

io

rg

pi

ta

os

El

an

opo

mon

Ept

Akr

as

tr

ag

ou

Vi

Le

ou

ou

it

la

on

ni

Di

lo
u

u
ro
Si
or

s
to

ch

ss

ou

eo

fth

lo

n
fo

la

on

Kla

ou

Ka

mi

gg
u

Va

os
ad
pi
im
Ol

te

io

us

Th

do
ni
go
ti
a

So

li

An

ti

rg

ko

as

ou

hi

Dodekaniso

na

ra

ou

dr

Ag

ll
ta
is
Kr

Eg

pi

Si

kit

Mo

ior

to

po

. P
ol

os

he
it

an

E4

Ap

im

Pr

om

Ol

itriou
Karaoli ke Dim

Okt
26is

Po

ss

ou
ot
pi
um
Do

1
ou
ovri

Ka

ous

Kli

ado

ta

vl

mpi

Ep

Dim

Akr
opo
leo
s

Oli

te

os

nt

io

zoli

Ta

io

tr

to

ir

Ir
in
is

ou

st

al

mi

r.
St

ou

Ifestionos

Di

Papa

pf

na

ou

D4

Sachin

So

hi

MONUMENTS MAP

KASTRA (CASTLE)

ri

ou

ht

c
Sa

fi

Ag

Lagkada
Mo

Sa

C4

So

B4

ou

ro

as

THESSALONIKI

ou

do

Ev

hi

an

Sev
ill
is

di

Me
te
or
o

av

Ep

pi

Kl

D6

ou 21

vri

tem

Sep

E6

ou

as

son

ol

gr

ou

dot

Iro

u
u

hi

io

15

zo
La
i
ch

po

19

Ex

ar

hi

li

Ag

E5

D5

Fi

pp

ou

eo

Ah

in

is

gi

Am
h.
Et
im

Ni

tr

ki

ox

en

Av

ou

Ko

ro

ol

tr

io

14

ol

ou

Eg

17

eo

Al

Sv

na

ti

ARISTOTELEIO PANEPISTIMIO
THESSALONIKIS (UNIVERSITY AREA)

ol

mi

la

li
Da
gk

h.

St

r.

Et
im

ia

ki

at

is

n
Eg

Ts

ou

Despere

Am

e.

ki

op

Sv

ti

Mi

Pr

Di

Aggelaki

14 Faculty of Philosophy, AUTh (Aristotle


University of Thessaloniki)
15 Aghios Dimitrios Hospital
16 Kipoi tou Passa
17 Sintrivani
18 3rd Army CorpsStrategeion
19 House of Mustafa Kemal (Ataturk)
20 Ano Poli (Upper/Old City) Library
21 inari
22 Scholi Tyflon (School for the Blind)
23 Villa Mehmet Kapanci
24 Villa Ahmet Kapanci
25 Villa Mordoch

is

ela
P. M

10
11
12
13

P.

Ts

Al

let

OTTOMAN MONUMENTS

Ger
P.

ou

mi

Dia

e.

Yahudi Hamam
Bezesteni
Hamza Bey Mosque
Bey HamamLoutra Paradissos
Yeni HamamAegle
Alaca Imaret
Tourbes Musa Baba
Pasha Hamam
Yeni Camii (Old Archaeological
Museum)
Dioiketerion
Customs House
Old Central Pump House
Ottoman Bank

ou
man

is

Av

in

So
fi
as

ki

Ag
hi
as

Ni

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9

16

Zo

as

Pa

as
as

tr

Ag
as
fi
as

lo
to

ki

is

op

te

is

ti

us

C5

So

Mou

Ar

tr

na

im

Mi

mi

im

Eg

son

ou

el

ni
z
Ve

El

Ts

e.

Di

nido

Av

ou

Ol

io

Pl

le

hi

mo

ak

Ag

os

Mou

re

Mo

ou

le

ou

poul

toko

Theo

pp

ou

po

en

mi
ou

li

20

po

ag

Fi

ro

leo

is

ni
Ve

5
im

rgi

Ak

af

ze

Er

Ir

api

re

El

s
ia
er
th
ef

s.

Ept

Ep

io

rg

pi

ta

os

po

Iaso

os

Dr
s

ko

ki

is

mon

El

ou

io

Ol

Kr

ad

as

tr

lo

pi

dr

opo

fi

Di

lo
u

u
ro
gg

ag

LADADIKA

Ni

B5

ou

im

an

Akr

fi

Ol

ss

Va

fth

vl

Ka

mi

Si
no
Io

Fr

11

on

Kla

lo

10

THESSALONIKI PORT

ou

eo

n
An
ou

la

Le

ou

it

ra

13

or

io

us

ou

Th

do
ni
ti

go

u
fo

la

on

ni

Va

Vi

ch

to

te

rg

ko

os
ad
pi
im
Ol

So

li

ti

pi

ra

ou

hi

Dodekaniso

na

Si

kit

Akr
opo
leo
s

dr

Ag

ll
ta
is
Kr

Eg

ior

Mo

. P
ol

E4

to

po

ta

os

an

Ep

Ap

it

Okt
26is

Po

ss

ous

Kli

ado

21

Dim

So

im

Pr

om

Ol

itriou
Karaoli ke Dim

ou
ovri

Ka

ou
ot
pi
um
Do

he

mpi

os

nt

Oli

zoli

Ta

io

io

El

ir

tr

Ir
in
is

ou

st

al

mi

r.
St

ou

Ifestionos

Di

Papa

pf

na

ou

D4

Sachin

hi

hi

MONUMENTS MAP

KASTRA (CASTLE)

ri

ou

ht

c
Sa

fi

Ag

Lagkada
Mo

Sa

C4

So

B4

ou

ro

Ag

THESSALONIKI

ou

do

Ev

as

an

Sev
ill
is

di

Me
te
or
o

av

Ep

pi

Kl

CHOROS DIETHNOUS EKTHESIS


THESSALONIKIS (HELEXPO TIF)

3is

ou

vri

tem

Sep

Nik. Germanou

s
Av

C6

ki

22

Ni

B6

D6

ou 23

vri

tem

Sep

E6

as
hi
Ag

C7

pp

ou

D7
is
in
Am
Et

P.

eo

Al

is
in

li
Dia

r.

ti

Da
gk

h.
Et

St

ulou

23

Ep

i
id
im
ts

Mark. Mpotsari

Mark. Mpotsari

ou

vri

tem

Sep

ou 25alipseos
vri An

tem

Sep

3is

Gam

Av

D6

eopo

ia

Ave.

ki

C6

Ni

24

Andr

CHOROS DIETHNOUS EKTHESIS


THESSALONIKIS (HELEXPO TIF)

EOT
Nik. Germanou

B6

ki

23 Villa Mordoch

at

is

Kapanci

28is Oktovriou

Ave.

im

ou

n
Eg

Ts

Sv

Delfon

Villa Modiano
Casa Bianca
Villa Allatini
Allatini Mills

Meg. Al
exandrou

JEWISH MONUMENTS

Villa Mehmet
Kapanci

22 Villa Ahmet
ol

Aggelaki

la

ti
a
ARISTOTELEIO PANEPISTIMIO
ingk
THESSALONIKIS (UNIVERSITY AREA)
Al. Flem

sio

mi

let

ro

na

ous

nth

lea

K
OTTOMAN
MONUMENTS

sta

Ko

Eg

Am

ou

ou

ana

e.

ol

Vasiliss
is Olga
Despere
s Ave.

Av

Pap

en

ol

io

Al.

ki

ox

ki

op

Sv

E7

amanli
Kon/nou Kar

Ni

is

tr

tr

ldi

Mi

Al

mi

Kolokotroni

iva

im

Ger
P.

ela
P. M

Ts

Pr

ou
os Di

nt

o
of

Gar

e.

E5

gi

Xe

h.

So
fi
as

ou
man

Ag
hi
as

Av

Ah

on

Ka

9
Delf

ki

7
8
9
10

af

Iliado

Ni

Monastirioton Synagogue
Yad Lezikaron Synagogue
Holocaust Monument
Jewish Museum
Stoa Saoul
Agora Modiano

gr
Zo
is

en
El

iou
Archeologikou Mous

eo

22

1
2
3
4
5
6

ou

as

re

ou
vl
Pa
u

lo
to
os

u
zo
La
i

ch

ar
Ex

as
fi
So

us
lo
te
to

El
.
Pl

Akr
opo
leo
s

hi
as
hi
Ag

s
ia
er
ef

th

El

is

li

ki

fi

Fi

Paraskevopoulou

D5

ra

pa

La

Pa

ti

amanli Ave.
Kon/nou Kar

C7

io

po

as

na

C5
ki

ol

Eg

st

ou

dot

Iro

na

io

is

op

io

mp

pa

tr

io

or

Pa

mo

B7

tr

im

Er

le

im

Mi

mi

ou Ave.

Ts

e.

Di

ig

son

as

ou Ave.

Ir

ak

Av

ou

Meg. Al
exandr

hi

as

ni
z

ou

nido

B5

Ag

fi

pp

el

ou

li

Gr

Mou

re

Mo

Iaso

ki

Ev

Ve

s.

Mou

zonon

Ol

Va

son

Ap

ou
s

Fi

no
Io

ko

Ni

t
Theo

po

zog

ant

ou

oul
okop

Mo

ze
Ve

im

El

mi

Ol

ou

lou

.
Al

ag

as

Ep

rgi

po

os

Dr

ra
la
Vi

Fr

THESSALONIKI PORT

LADADIKA

is

E6

ou

gi

ir

p
ta

t
A18
kr
Kai
op hou
oc
imaleo
s
Lis

leo

fi

io

ag

ou

Kr

ad

ou

ni

gg

ro

tr

lo
u

mi

Si
it

s
to
on
Le

ou

Di

lo

pi

dr

opo

as

n
do
ni
ti

go

u
fo
So

or

ou

im

an

hi

fi

Ol

ss

api

s
Amalia

ni

Ka

Akr

gi
os Geor
Vasile

ch

eo

Ept

la

on

Ave

Va

us

os
ad
pi
im
Ol

te

Th

Ag

li

An

ko

Ag

Ir
in
is

ti

ou

u
ato
Str

na

io

ra

ou

1
ll
ta
is
Kr

Eg

Dodekaniso

Po

Si

kit

dr

Ar

os
he
it
om

po

ado

ior

So

Lagkada
ou
al
nt
Pr

im

an

. P
ol

fi
pa
Pa

Okt
26is

ss

ou
ot
pi
um
Do

Ol

itriou
Karaoli ke Dim

ou
ovri

Ka

ous

Kli

ou
vri
tem
Sep
s
Kla
3i
fth
mon
os

e.
Av

zoli

Ta

io

mpi

E4

pi D6
rg

ta

u
to
ra
St

ir

Oli

e.

st

io

MONUMENTS MAP

Ep
Av

na

tr

Dim

ou

vri

tem

Sep
3is

D4

mi

CHOROS DIETHNOUS EKTHESIS


THESSALONIKIS (HELEXPO TIF)

KASTRA (CASTLE)
Nik. Germanou

Sachin

C6

Ifestionos

Di

r.
St

ou

ou

Papa

pf

hi

ou

EOT

ki

Mo

Sa

Ag

ri

ou

ht

c
Sa

Ni

B6

C4

ro

So

THESSALONIKI

B4

ou

Ev

Sev
ill
is

an

ki

do

Me
te
or
o

di

av

ti

pi

Kl

Al.

vro

Sta

E6

rou
Oreokast MONUMENTS MAP

B1

24

and

rou

Lagkad
a

dro

xim
Ana

vr

to

28

io
u
e.

Lagkad

Av

le

os

AMPELOKIPOI

Davaki

Akriton

Ok

po

Prof

xan

le
. A

on

tira

is

E9

ou

pp

Plas

Meg

asio

reo

li

A3

tr

po

ki

lo

pe

Am

28

nast

Fi

ri

Me

rk

ou
dr
an
ex
Al

ito

Papa

and

ko

23

Al.

Pap

D9

g.
Me

lo

ga

l
ou

ou

s
Cheronia

B3
El.

llo

Ven

se
l P

hai

ize

Mic

lou

si

Va
li

is

ss
Lagkada

Leof. Kallitheas

e.

Av

Mo

sc

n
ho

lo
l Psel

Michai

ga

on

i
is

Ol

reou
Geor. Papand

Ta

sio

r.

on

ri

Ko

Voulgari

lf

ou
et
th
go
Lo

Ka
n

ta

pe

Aghion Panton

ni
Go

26

27
on

s
mi

ki

Nik.

Cemetery

thou

ou

id

om

on

Ik

lo

io

pon

Cemetery

Akr

tr

loki

Ampe

29 New Jewish

Skia

De

tira

Plas

Ave.

Geo

ve.
ou A

Nik.

fir

or
u P

pro

Lam

ze

Delfon

25

andr

to

ul

fo

sta

Alex

ni

nos

So

Ve

fi

ana

Ave

reo

Di

si

Go

ro

Pap

as

and

Meg.

El

Plouto

i
kl

Al.

amanli
Kon/nou Kar

Olg

Pap

s
25i

10

Th

a
vet
Gam

Delfon

s
ssi
ili
Vas

r.

Geo

23 Moni Lazariston
28 Zeitelnik Allied

ou

ke

u
go

Papa

u Ave.

potamo

ti
Mar

mi

B2 Iat
Dendro

23 Villa Mehmet
Kapanci
24 Villa Ahmet
Kapanci
25 Villa Mordoch

amo

E8

A2

dika
Petrou Sin

ol

29

dro

D8

v
Sta

ri

ra

Den

Anal

na

rou

Ka

pot

a
vet
Gam

Al.

Ka

u A
ve.

Mark. Mpotsari

Mark. Mpotsari

ipseos

8 Casa Bianca
9 Villa Allatini
10 Allatini Mills

afi

ulou

Ave.

eopo

seos
Analip

C8

Pap

ou

Andr

Delfon

exandrou
Ave.

23

Karamanli

lissis
Olgas Av
e.

Meg. Al

Karaoli ke Dimi
triou

THESSALONIKI

ou

12

son

Mou

as

son
ou

re

gr

af

Mo

El

en

is

Zo

11

as

re

ou

dot

vl
Pa

Iro

io

lo

u
zo

So
as

is

La
i

27

ch
ar

D5

Fi

li

E5

26

pp

ou

ol

eo

Ah

gi

in

is

op

hi

to

ki

as

ti

te

is

os

Ex

na

C5

le

Mou

fi
Ag
as

Eg

ou

po

Ar

tr

io

im

tr

po

Ag

El

le

Ts

Mi

mi

fi

mo

ak

Di

im

Er

Ir

Pl

e.

ou

Ag

.
El

s
ia
er
th
ef

s.

ro

poul

toko

hi

Ol

Va

Av

Ag

Am
s

Av

h.
ou

Ko

ro

ou

Eg

na

eo

Al

Sv

ti

tr

io

ARISTOTELEIO PANEPISTIMIO
THESSALONIKIS (UNIVERSITY AREA)

ol

mi

la

li
Da
gk

h.

St

r.

Et
im

24

ia

ki

at

is

n
Eg

Ts

ou

Despere

Am

e.

ol

Di

Aggelaki

23 Moni Lazariston
24 Armenian Orthodox Church of the Virgin
Mary
25 Holy Catholic Cathedral of the Immaculate
Conception of the Virgin Mary
26 Orthodox Cemetery
27 Armenian Cemetery, Protestant Cemetery
28 Zeitelnik Allied Cemetery
29 New Jewish Cemetery
30 Indian Cemetery of Harmankioi

en

ol

Sv

ti

ki

ox

op

let

Ni

Pr

tr

ki

Al

CHOROS DIETHNOUS EKTHESIS


THESSALONIKIS (HELEXPO TIF)

3is

ou

vri

tem

Sep

Nik. Germanou

s
Av

C6

ki

28

Ni

B6

Ladadika (Oil Market)


Eleftherias Square
Aristotelous Square
Hotel Vienni
Nedelkou Building
Old Oekokyriki Scholi
The Red House
Former Greek Consulate
25 Theophilou Street
13 Theophilou Street
17 Herodotou Street
47 Mousson Street

Mi

is

ela
P. M

im

8
MODERN MONUMENTS

P.

Ts

Ger
P.

Dia

e.

ou

mi

Et
ou
man

is

Av

in

Ag
hi
as

ki

So
fi
as

Ni

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12

rgi

Theo

as

ni
z

ou

Ep

io

rg

pi

ta

os

api

leo

Mo

nido

os

pp

el

ou

li

mon

Ept

Ak

hi

ni

Fi

fth

po

Iaso

ki

is

po

Ve

ko

LADADIKA

Ni

Kr

as

ou

im

ag

on

Kla

ou

dr

ad

io

Ol

no
Io

Vi

Fr

THESSALONIKI PORT

B5

tr

lo

pi

fi

ra
la

25

Di

im

an

Ve
mi
ou

ou

So

ro
Si
it

s
Le

ou

ou

fi

Ol

ss

ag

So

or

io

us

opo

Dr

fo

la

to
on

ni

Ka

mi

gg
u

Va

rg

ko

as

pi

ra

ou

Akr

So

ti

Th

eo

n
ni
go
ti

na

Si

kit

os
ad
pi
im
Ol

ch

10

hi

te

ou

Ag

An

Eg

li

ior

to

po

. P
ol

dr

do

4
Dodekaniso

Po

an

os

he
it
om
Pr

im

ll
ta
is
Kr

Okt
26is

ss

ou
ot
pi
um
Do

Ol

itriou
Karaoli ke Dim

ou
ovri

Ka

ous

Kli

ado

E4
Akr
opo
leo
s

mpi

ta

hi

Oli

lo
u

io

io

Ep

Dim

ze

os

nt

tr

zoli

Ta

mi

us

ir

Ifestionos

Di

MONUMENTS MAP

D4

Sachin

st

al

29

ou

r.
St

ou

hi

u
KASTRA (CASTLE)

ri

ou

ht

c
Sa

El

na

Ag

Ir
in
is

Mo

C4

Papa

pf

30
ou

>

Sa

28

Lagkada

B4

ou

ro

lo

>> >

THESSALONIKI

23

ou

do

Ev

Ap

an

Sev
ill
is

di

Me
te
or
o

av

Ep

pi

Kl

D6

ou 29

vri

tem

Sep

E6

ingk
Al. Flem

iou

THESSALONIKI

MONUMENTS MAP
Vasiliss
is Olga
s Ave.

3is

Nik. Germanou

ki

iou

vr

tem

glo

tzo

tan

Kai
hou

ma
isi

ig

or

seos

La

mp

seos
Analip

ra

D8

ki

id
im

ssi

ili

amanli
Kon/nou Kar

Ave.

Delfon

and

Pap
reo
u

Pap

D9

ri

ga

ul

Vo

Me

ana

ou
et

afi

22

s
Cheronia

th
go

Pap

sio

Lo

sta

nos

is
s
Av
e.

sc

Mo

31

lo
l Psel

Michai

ga

on

si

i
on

Ol

m
he
Ka T
na
ri

k
Ta

di

mi

no

o
Ik

ss

ro
tav

ul

li

seos

So

si

ok

li

reou
Geor. Papand

Ave.

Plouto

Va

amanli
Kon/nou Kar

rk

ou

t
is

Analip

on

lf

De

ri

Mark. Mpotsari

30

Skia

ou

fo

Mark. Mpotsari

Vo

thou

Al.

ldi

iva

ulou

Lam
ira
oprrfak
u P
i

r.

ous

iou

pro

Lam

Geo

ve.
ou A

Gar

C9

Delfon

is Olga
s Ave.

Vasiliss

Meg. Al
exandrou
Ave.

eopo

Ave

gor

nth

28is Oktovriou

Andr

as

Gri

andr

on

B9

tio

ar
s M

25i

us

ho

nt

Kolokotroni

ingk
Al. Flem

reo

ki

Alex

Kl

a
Kle

lg
s O

pra

Meg.

E7

os

Lam

and

iou

Pap

gor

nt

Xe

r.

fi

Gri

ea

o
of

ts
Ka

Vas

Geo

pa

Delf

17

Pa

io

as

st

na

Iliado

amanli Ave.
Kon/nou Kar

pa

Pa

16

vro

Sta

a
vet
Gam

Al

D7

19

21
Delfon

s
Amalia

ou Ave.

18

iou
Archeologikou Mous

Al.

dika
Petrou Sin

20

ve.
u A

gi
os Geor
Vasile

ou Ave.

Meg. Al
exandr

Paraskevopoulou

19
20
21
22

Mark. Mpotsari
Analip

io

C8
15

ulou

Archaeological Museum
Museum of Byzantine Culture
Papafeion Orphanage
Former Russian Hospital
Villa Michaelidi
Salem Mansion / Former Italian
Consulate
Former Melissa Orphanage
Chateau Mon Bonheur
Villa Chatzilazarou
Villa Morpurgo

a
vet
Gam

fi
pa
Pa

Evzono

eopo

Mark. Mpotsari

Gr

ato
Str

B8

Andr

13
14
15
16
17
18

Ave.

e.
Av

14

exandrou
Ave.

13

28is Oktovriou

Delfon

E6

u
to
ra
St

e.

Av

Sep
3is

Meg. Al

Ni

D6

amanli
Kon/nou Kar

mvr

te
Sep

u
sio
sta
ana
Pap
Al.

a
CHOROS DIETHNOUS EKTHESIS
THESSALONIKIS (HELEXPO TIF)

24

ti

ki

na

is

Cultural Monument Document


1st Edition March 2013
Authored by:
Municipality of Thessaloniki
Directorate of Culture-Tourism
Office Address
Office Address
Tourism Dept
City Hall
1, Vas.Georgiou A str.
GR-54640 Thessaloniki,
Greece
T +30 2313 318206
tourism@thessaloniki.gr

The document is also available


in digital form at
www.thessaloniki.gr and
www.thessaloniki.travel
Municipality of Thessaloniki, 2013

Design
Designers United

With the kind cooperation of


HELLENIC REPUBLIC
MINISTRY OF EDUCATION, RELIGIOUS AFFAIRS, CULTURE AND SPORTS
GENERAL SECRETARIAT OF CULTURE
9TH EPHORATE OF BYZANTINE ANTIQUITIES

HELLENIC REPUBLIC
MINISTRY OF EDUCATION, RELIGIOUS AFFAIRS, CULTURE AND SPORTS
GENERAL SECRETARIAT OF CULTURE
GENERAL DIRECTORATE OF ANTIQUITIES AND CULTURAL HERITAGE
16TH EPHORATE OF PREHISTORIC AND CLASSICAL ANTIQUITIES

HELLENIC REPUBLIC
MINISTRY OF EDUCATION, RELIGIOUS AFFAIRS, CULTURE AND SPORTS
GENERAL SECRETARIAT OF CULTURE
EPHORATE OF CONTEMPORARY AND MODERN MONUMENTS OF CENTRAL
MACEDONIA
THESSALONIKI
UNION
OF TOURIST GUIDES