Sie sind auf Seite 1von 8

Our Status

A unique status, drawing on our origins and history


Created one hundred years ago thanks to the energy and generosity of the men and women of
the American community in Paris, the American Hospital of Paris has continued its tireless
development thanks to the support of its donors.

Recognized in France and in the US

The Association of the American Hospital of Paris was created in 1906 by several members
of the American community in Paris. Their wish was to create a Paris-based hospital which
would provide American expatriates residing in France with American-trained medical care
in their own language, regardless of their financial means.

January 30, 1913, the United States Congress officially recognizes the American Hospital of
Paris, granting it federal status.

In March 1918, in recognition of services rendered to France during the First World War, the
French government decrees the American Hospital of Paris to be an institution of public
benefit, authorizing it to receive donations and bequests.

The support of international donors

A not-for-profit institution, the American Hospital of Paris has no shareholders and


receives no funding from the French or American governments.

Its thanks to the generosity of our members and donors, and to positive revenues that, at
every step in our development, we have been able to invest in

The modernization of our medical equipment.

The extension and renovation of our buildings.


Our Mission
The best in French and American medical practices for
the health of patients of all nationalities
The mission and values of the American Hospital of Paris have always been focused on the
patient - quality of care, ethical practices, and service.

Our mission

As a private and not-for-profit Franco-American institution, we have fixed the following


three objectives:

Bring together the best in French and American medical practices to Paris
Deliver personalized and high quality care to the members of the French, American
and international communities residing in France and abroad.
Follow ethical practices and respect the cultural diversity of our patients.

Our values

In order to offer our patients the highest quality care, we truly believe in:

Respecting the cultural diversity, dignity and rights of all patients receiving care
Being responsive to the needs of patients and their families
Stimulating teamwork and open communication
Continuously improving the quality of our services
Ensuring that members of the hospital and medical staff work in a clean and safe
environment, guaranteeing optimum working conditions and efficiency
Complying with French laws and our hospitals Code of Ethics.
Using all contributions from members and donors either for specific projects or for
the hospital's overall strategy
Our History
In 1906, Dr. Magnin and Mr. van Bergen create an association that is to become the
American Hospital of Paris. Based in Neuilly-sur-Seine, today the hospital is renowned for
high quality personalized care and the latest technology.

The History of the American Hospital of Paris

1904 1914: Beginnings

The beginning of the 20th century finds many American tourists, students, travelers, and
expats in France. During the summer months, their numbers reach up to 100,000 in Paris
alone.

1904: Dr. A.J. Magnin and one of his American friends, Harry Antony van Bergen, create an
association whose name reveals an ambitious project the American Hospital Association of
Paris. This first association aims to offer expatriates access to American-trained doctors.

1906: Dr. Magnin, Mr. van Bergen and 7 respected members of the American community
sign the founding act for the American Hospital of Paris.

July 1907: Thanks to initial donations, the chairman of the Board of Governors, John H.
Harjes, signs the deed to a property in Neuilly-sur-Seine.

October 28, 1909: The US Ambassador to France, Henry White, and the Minister of Public
Education and future president of the Republic, Gaston Doumergue, inaugurate the new, 24-
bed hospital.

January 30, 1913: The United States Congress in Washington officially recognizes the
American Hospital of Paris, granting it federal status. This status allows the Hospital to
accept donations and bequests.

1914: Hospital opens its own nursing school, which remains open until 1930. Classes are
taught in English to nursing students from all over Europe and America.

1914 1945: Recognition of public benefit


1914 - 1918: The Hospital establishes a volunteer ambulance service staffed by American
doctors, surgeons and nurses. The ambulance service helps over 10,000 allied soldiers. A
nearby school, the Lyce Pasteur of Neuilly-sur-Seine, is transformed into a temporary
hospital and serves as a base for the ambulance service.

March 19, 1918: To thank the hospital for services rendered to wartime France, the French
Government decrees that the American Hospital of Paris be recognized as an institution of
public benefit. A second decree, signed by Raymond Poincar, authorizes the hospital to
receive donations and bequests under French law.

1920 - 1926: With only 24 beds, the hospital quickly became too cramped. New buildings,
upgrades and improved medical equipment were needed. Thanks to numerous American and
French donors, a new hospital was built, equipped with 120 beds. Dedicated to the victims
and volunteers of World War I, it was named the Memorial Building.

1939 - 1945: The American Hospital of Paris was converted into a military hospital once
again. Under the banner of the Red Cross, it provided care to civilian and military patients. It
was mentioned in the despatches of the French Army and awarded the French Croix de
Guerre war medal.

1945 1970: Joint Commission accreditation


1949 - 1953: After the war, the hospital again needs upgrading. American assistance through
the Marshall Plan, as well as private donations, allow the Hospital to make radical
improvements in its medical facilities. A pathology department, a laboratory and a radiology
service are introduced, and 125 nurses join the staff.

September 1954: The Joint Commission accredits the American Hospital of Paris. We are
the only civilian hospital outside of the U.S. that can boast this recognition, still true today.

1960-1968: The generosity of a number of private and corporate donors makes possible the
construction of the Eisenhower wing. It houses 16 new patient rooms, doctors offices, and
the nuclear medicine imaging department. The radiology department is also modernized at
this time.

1970 2000: Development continues

March 30, 1976: The American Hospital Foundation is incorporated in Washington, D.C.,
although it is based in New York. The Foundations mission is to support the work of the
Hospital and raise private funding in the U.S.

1979 - 1989: The Hospital opens several departments and invests in new medical equipment:

New wing opened containing 74 beds and a multi-disciplinary Outpatient Department


Maternity Unit renovated, and the Medically Assisted Procreation (in vitro
fertilization) and Prenatal Diagnostic Centers created
New diagnostic and treatment systems implemented, including magnetic resonance
(MRI), digital angiography, and others
Outpatient clinic and Emergency services established

2000 - today: Cutting-edge technology through generous donations

2001 2006: The Hospital launches 2 major projects:

Renovation and development of American Hospital of Paris medical/surgical units


and Check-up Center
Construction of new operating rooms with increased surface area and latest
technological innovations

The American Hospital of Paris continues to develop ancillary services:

Purchase of latest generation MRI scanner

Creation of an ultra-modern Imaging Center dedicated to early diagnosis of breast


cancer
Complete update of cardiology imaging equipment

2004: The Board of Governors adopts a new strategic plan for the American Hospital of Paris
that defines the 5 major development priorities for the Hospital over the next ten years.

2006: The American Hospital of Paris celebrates its Centennial year.

2007: A state-of-the-art Dialysis Center opens its doors and the new Maternity Unit is
inaugurated.

2009: Thanks to donor support, the Hospital is able to purchase the latest generation PET/CT
scanner and the most advanced version of the da Vinci SI Surgical System (robotic assisted
surgery platform).

2010: The Hospital opens a new wing of 14 fully renovated premium comfort rooms on the
5th floor of the main building.

[Translate to en:] 1914 - 1945 : la reconnaissance dutilit publique

[Translate to en:] 1914 - 1918 : l'hpital met en place un service d'ambulances, entirement
assur par des bnvoles amricains (mdecins, chirurgiens, infirmires). Ce service porte
assistance plus de 10 000 soldats allis. Situ proximit de l'hpital, le lyce Pasteur de
Neuilly-sur-Seine est transform en hpital provisoire et constitue le point de rattachement
des ambulances.

19 mars 1918 : pour remercier l'hpital de ses services rendus la France, le Conseil d'tat
dclare par dcret : L'uvre dite, The American Hospital of Paris est reconnue comme
tablissement d'utilit publique . Un second dcret, sign par Raymond Poincar, autorise
l'hpital recevoir dons et legs au regard de la loi franaise.

Accreditation & Certification


Accreditation

Since 1954, the American Hospital of Paris has voluntarily undergone the rigorous
evaluation by The Joint Commission, an American organization which sets the quality
standards for hospitals in the United States. The Joint Commission ensures that these
institutions meet superior safety and care levels on an organization-wide basis.

As is the case for all healthcare institutions in France, the American Hospital of Paris also
partakes in the certification process and standards organized by the Haute Autorit de Sant
(HAS), the French organization which oversees quality and care for hospitals in France.

Departments and Units

The medical, surgical and obstetrical


activities of the American Hospital of Paris
are organized into Departments and Units.
Chiefs of Department and Unit Heads are
nominated by the Board of Governors
after consultation with the Medical Board.
Department of Cancerology Department of Neuro Cardiovascular
Disease & Diabetology
Oncology Unit
Urology Unit Cardiology Unit
Breast Unit Vascular Surgery Unit
Cardiovascular Diagnostic Techniques
Department of Dermatology &
Plastic Surgery Department of Orthopedics,
Rheumatology & Physical
Plastic Surgery Unit Rehabilitation
Dermatology Unit
Orthopedic Surgery Unit
Department of Digestive Disease Spinal Unit
Rheumatology Unit
Digestive Surgery Unit
Gastroenterology & Hepatology Unit Department of Women's & Children's
Health
Department of Lung & Thoracic
Pathology Neonatalogy Unit and Pediatric Unit
Maternity and Obstetric Unit
Pulmonary Medicine Unit Reproductive Medicine Unit
Thoracic Surgery Unit Fetal Medicine Unit
Gynecological Surgery
Department of Medicine
Head & Neck Department
Medicine (Internal Medicine, General
Medicine and Geriatrics) Dentistry & Oral Surgery Unit
Neurology Unit Ophthalmology Unit
Nephrology and Hemodialysis Unit ENT Unit
Endocrinology & Diabetes Unit Thyroid Unit
Psychiatry Unit

Department of Anesthesiology & Critical Care

Department of Medical Imaging & Nuclear Medicine

24/7 Medical Surgical Unit