Sie sind auf Seite 1von 5

LAYOUT OF THE STRUCTURE:

foundation : reinforced concrete piles (30'-0" deep)


area : 4454.83 sq.mtrs.
dimensions : 32.59m x 28.65m.
ORIENTATION : West to East
 It is a two- storied structure
 60.9m away from sea wall.
 The building is rectangular in form

PLANNING:
The ground floor accommodates, in addition to the main exhibition hall open
to the public, part of the official establishment. The entrance hall has at one
end, a glazed tinted glass mural of fishes. In the south west corner of the
building, are situated the ticket booths, the curator's office, a chemical
laboratory now turned into assistant curator's office and a conditioning room.
All exhibits either for display in the tank or for study is kept in the
conditioning room for observation before introduction into the main aquaria.
There are two exhibition halls:-
1.) Main hall displaying marine creatures and fishes.
2.) Small hall displaying tropical water fishes.
In the section of the building opposite the curator's office is the small hall
where fishes are displayed in such a manner as to heighten the attractiveness
of their general appearance. The tanks seem to be literally framed and look
like pictures framed in partitions. There are imported varieties of fishes that
have been acclimatized to our waters, where they have established themselves
and are being bred. The main hall exhibits are comprised of both marine and
fresh water forms.
Marine specimens are displayed in tanks- 18 in number arranged along the
wall, while the nine tanks in the center of the hall contains fresh water
forms. All the tanks are off R.C.C with a frontage of glass which is
1.25” thick.
The smallest tank : 4’ x 4’ x 4’ (500 gallons) i.e. 1. 2 x 1.2x1.2 meter.
The largest tank is of 10' x 3' x 4' (1500 gallons) i.e. 3.28 x 0.90 x 1.20
meter.
On the first floor, the North-West wing was taken up by the marine
biologist laboratory and South-West wing had the office of director of
fisheries and its staff. But now no such laboratory exists. The entire first
floor is occupied by the offices of the fisheries departments.
ILLUMINATION OF THE HALL:
Illumination of the tanks is effected by concealed day -light electric bulbs
so that lighting conditions are as near as possible to those prevailing in
the natural environment of the living creatures. The object of this is to bring
out the natural color arid markings of the animals, The skylights are tinted
pale blue in order to prevent the excessive growth of algae in the tanks.
AQUASCAPING:
In the marine section, no plants are used since no proper base is available for
their fixity. The surface material of thee tanks is water -proof. To create
natural environment the concrete is rendered rough_ In some tanks, marble
tiles are fixed while in some stone, while in others pebbles. We often find
stone arches in some tanks. In small tanks in which small tiny fishes are
kept fine good quality is used. Some aquatic plants like Valltsneria,
Corkscrew vallisnena, Amazon sword plant, Acorus Germanous,
Alternanthera Sessilis, etc. are used efficiently. The tanks being of glass, the
rear side of the glass is painted with green oil paint so that no direct sunshine
falls on the tank and thus growth of algae is prevented.
WATER CIRCULATORY SYSTEM:
Behind the main exhibition hall there are four pumps and two compressors
which operate respectively, the circulatory system and the aeration system
of the aquarium. The entire machinery is operated automatically by
electricity, Once the main switch is on, the water whether in sea water or
fresh water tanks will keep on changing throughout day and night. Below
the room containing pumps and compressors, are the reservoirs, for sea
and fresh water.
The sea water reservoir measures 13 x 4.5 x 3 M and holds 42, 000
gallons of water
Fresh water reservoir measures 5.4 x 4.5 x 3 M and holds 17, 000 gallons
of water.
This water is directly is continuously pumped to the respective sea and fresh
water overhead tanks, directly above the engine room, from where it is
conducted to exhibitions tanks.
Purification plant:
Purification plant for both sea and fresh water plants is located in north
side of the building and they both have separate underground concrete
settling tanks and filtering units.
Settling tanks:
For sea water, dia: 7.6m
Fresh water, dia: 4.5m
Filters: there are 3 sets of filters, each for marine and fresh water. It consists
of a R.C.C. channel with epoxy, in the middle. Water from settling tanks
is passed through channels. When the channels get filled up, the water
overflows and get rid of noxious gases like chlorine.
CIRCULATION
Display tanks are made of R.C.C. coated with epoxy.
Piping for sea water: everite A.C. pipes / galvanized iron.
 There was a water barge from which sea water was pumped, and was
stored in reservoirs and settling tanks of the aquarium. The main
purpose of the barge was to secure supplies of undiluted and unpolluted
sea water from a point far off from the shore at flood tide. But now the
barge does not exist.
 Sea water is pumped only during the ebb period, when the level of
water is high. The total water is replaced once a year. Then the water is
received in receiving tank which is about 1.2* 1.2* 5m for fresh water.
Then the water reaches settling tank and then filters, where it gets rid
of impurity and noxious gases.
 The water is then passed to their respective reservoirs from where it is
pumped to overhead tanks.
 The water descends to exhibition tanks from the over head tanks.
Excess water is transferred back into underground
reservoir from the settling tank. Thus same water is used again and again,
speed of circulation being constant to avert the sudden overflowing of
exhibition tanks. The reintroduce of water into filters is essential to
prevent circulation of fish food, decaying organic matter and other waste
before water returns to the underground reservoir. The water in small tanks is
changed once in 2-3 weeks manually. The arrangement adopted for supply
of water to feed tanks in main hall is technically called 'closed system'. The
closed system requires change of water only 3-4 times a year.
(Conclusions) SERVICE AREAS
 Administrative areas are stuffed with old furniture.
 Conditioning rooms have become multipurpose rooms.
 Assistant curator's room is used as breeding room for fishes.
 No space designated for field workers, watchmen, keepers and hence
they use place near filtration plant, which might be harmful for fishes.
 Service passage is too narrow.
 Tanks are stacked on M.S. pipes which get rusted by age and needs to
be replaced at regular intervals.
IT WAS OPENED IN 1951 AND WAS CONSTRUCTED THE COMBINED EFFORTS OF
MAHARASHTRA GOVERNMENT AND A PARSI BUSINESSMAN. THE AQUARIUM
HAS A TOTAL. OF 70 SPECIMENTS WITH WATER TANKS RANGING FROM 1000-1500
GALLONS INCLUDING BOTH MARINE WATER FISH AND FRESH WATER FISHES.
NOW A DAY ITS BEEN RUN OVER BY MAHARASHTRA FISH IES DEPARTMENT.