You are on page 1of 53



Programme Handbook 2018-19
Disability Statement

Anyone requiring additional support relating to disability, i.e. note-taking,

proof reading, etc., should make a first approach to their Programme Director
and/or the Student Disability Service.

Contact the Student Disability Service:

Telephone 0131 650 6828

Further information can be found at

If you require this document or any of the internal University Of Edinburgh

online resources mentioned in this document in an alternative format please

The ECA Postgraduate Office
0131 651 5736

Front cover image

Courtesy of ECA Web Team
Welcome and Introduction 5


Introduction 7
Period of Study 8
Supervision 8
Training and Courses 11
Planning your work 15


Student Engagement and Attendance Monitoring 19
Monitoring Student Progress – Annual Progression Reviews 21
Feedback by Postgraduate Research Students 23
Absences, Interruptions and Extensions 24
Thesis Submission and Assessment 26


Fees, Funding and Financial Matters 29
Study Accommodation 30
Health and Safety Regulations 33
Information Services 33
Use of Social Media 36
Post 37
Confidentiality – Student Record 37
Part-time Employment 37
PGR Course Tutoring 38
Resolving Problems – Who to contact 38


Edinburgh University Students’ Association 40
The Advice Place 40
Student Representatives 40
Student Disability Service 40
Student Counselling Service 40
Careers Service 41
Edinburgh Global 41
University Health Service 41
Additional Services 41

Student Administration Services 41
Equal Opportunities – Dignity and Respect 42
Harassment 42
Complaints Procedure 42
Student Conduct 42
Academic Misconduct and Plagiarism 43
General Contacts and Websites 44


Reid School of Music – Useful Contacts 45
Research Methods Training for PGR Students in the Reid School of Music 45
Music Research Seminars 46
Reid School of Music MPhil/PhD Annual Review 47
Music Scholarships 52

Welcome and Introduction

Welcome to the 2018/2019 session of postgraduate research in Edinburgh College of Art

(ECA). ECA comprises of 5 Schools – the School of Art, School of Design, Edinburgh School
of Architecture and Landscape Architecture (ESALA), the Reid School of Music and History
of Art.

This Handbook is intended to provide students with general information on the

administration of MPhil and PhD postgraduate research degrees, information about the
ECA Postgraduate Office and other ECA and University key services, School and programme
specific information, how to get assistance and help and other issues. It should be read
carefully and frequently, and used in conjunction with other material provided by ECA and
the University.

This Handbook should be read in conjunction with the following:

1) Degree Regulations and Programmes of Study (DRPS). This document contains the
formal University regulations covering all degree programmes. Details can be viewed at:

Regulations for postgraduate degrees, including PhD, MPhil and MSc by Research can
be found in the Degree Regulations and Programmes of Study Postgraduate Degree
Programme Regulations 2018/19:

2) Code of Practice for Supervisors and Research Students. This document sets out the
University’s recommended practice and guidelines for both supervisors and research
students. It is a useful, practical guide that supplements the formal regulations and can
be viewed at:

3) Postgraduate Assessment Regulations for Research Degrees Academic Year 2018/19

can be found at:

Postgraduate Matters and the Decision Making Process

Postgraduate activity at ECA is overseen by the ECA Board of Studies (and its Sub-
Committees) and the ECA Director of Learning and Teaching (PGT) and Director of
Postgraduate Research. The ECA Board of Studies deals with all matters that affect
postgraduate students in ECA, be they research students or taught students. The
Committee, which has academic representatives from all 5 ECA Schools and PG student
representatives, reports to the College Postgraduate Studies Committee (CPGSC) which
deals with postgraduate affairs for the whole College of Arts, Humanities and Social
Sciences (CAHSS).

All postgraduate degrees at ECA (research and taught) are supported by the ECA
Postgraduate Office. The ECA Postgraduate Office is located at Evolution House (Level 3)
on the Lauriston campus and is open for visitors from 9.00am-12.30pm and 1.30pm-
5.00pm, Monday to Friday .

Useful ECA Postgraduate Staff Contacts

ECA Director of Learning and Teaching (PGT) ECA Director of Postgraduate Research &
& Chair of the ECA Board of Studies & ECA Chair of the ECA PGR Sub-Committee
PGT Sub-Committee Prof Neil Cox
Dr Richard Anderson Hunter Building
Minto House 0131 650 2313
0131 650 8204

Head of the Postgraduate Office PGR Administrative Officer &

ECA Postgraduate Office PGR Team Leader
Catriona Elder Elaine Dickson
Evolution House (Level 3) Evolution House (Level 3)
0131 651 5733 0131 651 5737

PGR Programme Secretary PGR Programme Secretary

(Design, ESALA) (Art, History of Art, Music)
ECA Postgraduate Office ECA Postgraduate Office
Fiona Hunter Sophie Ramette
Evolution House (Level 3) Evolution House (Level 3)
0131 651 5741 0131 651 5739

ECA Postgraduate Office

Evolution House (Level 3)
General Enquiries
0131 651 5736

Section A: About the MPhil and PhD
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)

Doctoral studies - mostly classified as PhDs - are for students who will often have
completed a postgraduate master’s degree and want to undertake a period of highly
specialised independent research training.

An Edinburgh PhD is mainly based on a period of independent research. You will manage a
project in collaboration with one or more supervisors. A PhD is unstructured and requires
dedication, resilience and motivation. You will be asked to submit progress reports at
regular intervals. You will have access to technical, methodological, educational and social
support structures.

During the first year you will acquire the specialist background to your projected research,
and develop the skills appropriate to research in that field. You will progress to using your
skills for your specialised research project, and you will submit the outcome of this research
as a thesis. The doctorate is awarded if the thesis is judged to be of an appropriate
standard and the research makes a definite contribution to knowledge.

Students within some subject areas - including film, fine art and music - will need to
incorporate an element of creative practice as part of their assessment, as well as writing
their thesis.

Some students who do not progress beyond their first year may be eligible to transfer to

Master of Philosophy (MPhil)

Our MPhil award is an advanced research postgraduate qualification. You normally need to
have an existing postgraduate degree (such as an MSc) to be accepted onto an MPhil.

You may register for an MPhil from the outset, and if progress is satisfactory may choose to
transfer to PhD after the first year.

Period of Study


As a full-time research student your prescribed period of study is three years, as a part-time
student your prescribed period of study is six years. Students are expected to complete
their research and submit their thesis within the prescribed period of study.

Tuition fees are payable (whether by yourself as a self-funding student or by another body)
for each of these years – for the current fee rate see:

Where necessary, an additional period of up to one year is permitted to submit the

completed thesis - this additional period is often known as the ‘writing-up year’ and a
matriculation fee is charged for this year – in session 2018/19 this fee will be £140 – see .


As a full-time research student your prescribed period of study is two years, as a part-time
student your prescribed period of study is four years. Students are expected to complete
their research and submit their thesis within the prescribed period of study.

Tuition fees are payable (whether by yourself as a self-funding student or by another body)
for each of these years – for the current fee rate see:

Where necessary, an additional period of up to one year is permitted to submit the

completed thesis - this additional period is often known as the ‘writing-up year’ and a
matriculation fee is charged for this year – in session 2018/19 this fee will be £140 – see .


This section focuses on how supervision is organised, what contact to expect with your
supervisors, and ways of developing good working relationships.

Supervisory Arrangements

All MPhil and PhD students will have at least two supervisors involved in providing
academic guidance and support. When necessary, a third supervisor could be added to
your supervisory team. This arrangement gives students access to complementary skills and
expertise. It also helps maintain continuity if work commitments take one of the
supervisors away from the University for a period of time.

During the admissions process considerable efforts are made to identify academic staff
with the appropriate expertise and experience to act as supervisors. The supervisors are
usually associated with the School or subject area where you are registered but in some
circumstances, you may have a supervisor from another Subject Area within ECA or another
School within the University. In exceptional circumstances, and at the discretion of your
Head of School, you may have a supervisor who is external to the University.

One of your supervisors will be appointed as the Principal Supervisor or the Lead Co-
Supervisor. At ECA the Principal/Lead Co-Supervisor will be an experienced supervisor who
has already served in this role or as an Assistant or Co-Supervisor for at least 9-12 months,
and they will have the primary responsibility for your supervision and will deal with the
administrative aspects of your supervision. The second (and, when appropriate, third
supervisor) works alongside the Principal/Lead Co-Supervisor as Assistant Supervisor or Co-

Further information on supervision can be found in the Code of Practice, sections 1.2, and
section 2.

The student-supervisor relationship and contact

Relationships with your supervisor(s) will begin to develop as you engage in discussing how
to set about your research. They will develop further as time goes on. In nearly all cases the
quality of these relationships has an important effect on the rate and direction of the
progress that students make. For supervisors, too, relationships with their students are
personally and professionally important. Good working relationships are usually
characterised by mutual respect and consideration. It is worth remembering, for instance,
that while your research is rightly your focal concern and priority, supervisors also have a
heavy load of other teaching, research and administrative duties. On the other hand
supervisors are keen to help foster your academic development and the successful
completion of your thesis. They will be trying to follow through on their obligations, as
outlined in the Code of Practice, in ways that are flexible and sensitive to prevailing

Among the things identified as helpful in relationships between students and supervisors

• being familiar with existing documentation (eg roles, responsibilities, procedures)

• being open and explicit, especially about one another’s expectations and assumptions
• being realistic about what can be accomplished within given time-frames
• submitting any written work as agreed and providing timely feedback
• having meetings/consultations with a clear focus and detailed agenda keeping records of
the outcomes of meetings/consultations and ‘next steps’.

The type of contact (whether formal or informal, face to face, by phone, Skype or email)
which you can expect to have with your supervisors will depend on a number of factors.
These factors will also affect the amount of contact you have. They include: whether you
are a full-time or part-time student, what stage of the research process you are at and your

associated needs, where and how you are carrying out your research. There may be rather
more intense interaction between students and supervisors in the initial phases of shaping
up the research, than is appropriate at other times. The important thing is for your
supervisor(s) to be aware of what you are doing and how you are getting on, so as to be
able to assist you in taking things forward productively.

Supervision Meetings

Students and supervisors should maintain frequent contact and will meet at least twice in
every three month period as per the Code of Practice for Research Students and
supervisors, section 2.1. Students are encouraged to meet with their supervisory team
together in a group meeting where possible, but individual meetings with supervisors may
also take place. At least one group meeting with the whole supervision team should take
place each year as part of the annual progression review (see Section 6).

Dates for meetings could be arranged for the entire year, at the beginning of the academic
session. If this is not possible, then at the end of each meeting a date should be agreed for
the following one. Students can initiate meetings, but the supervisor is responsible for
ensuring that the requirement for the minimum number of meetings is met.

At your supervision meetings, your supervisors will discuss with you the content of your
research programme and how to plan your work, they will comment on your progress and
offer guidance on the standard that is required of you. You should always remember that a
research degree is based on independent study, initiative, and self-motivation. However,
your supervisors will work closely with you to ensure that you remain focused, are aware of
relevant developments in your field of study and understand the importance of
constructing a methodology which fully serves the purposes of your research project. They
might ask you to read specific texts, visit exhibitions, archives or other places, or undertake
other relevant tasks. They might encourage you to attend relevant conferences, festivals or
other events and activities, and they might even suggest that you should present your work
in such contexts.

Supervisors will ask you to produce writing, and when appropriate, relevant practical work.
You will also have your own opinions about what you need to do in order to progress with
your research – this will be even more so, as you approach the completion of your project.
Therefore some of the discussion in your supervision meetings should be devoted to
agreeing with your supervisors a particular course of action. At the end of each supervision
meeting, you should always be clear about what you are expected to produce and by which
deadlines, and you should do your best to deliver the agreed task(s). However, since as
mentioned above, a research degree is based on independent study, the situation might
change as you progress with the work and you might have to alter your agreed plan, which
you should not hesitate to do. Supervisors will also do their best to support you between
meetings and therefore you should never hesitate to contact them (at least by email),
should you require help in order to be able to continue working between meetings. You
should never waste precious time waiting until the date of the next meeting, if you feel
unable to continue working.

When you submit your work to your supervisors prior to a supervision meeting (and by the
agreed deadline), you can expect thorough, prompt and critical feedback on the progress
you have made.

Supervision Meeting Records

The University requires students and supervisors to keep written records of their meetings,
when they occurred and what was agreed/decided (see Code of Practice, section 2.1). This
is an essential part of the University’s quality assurance and enhancement process and is
linked to the student attendance and engagement monitoring process.

The supervision meeting report form (see Appendix I for template) can be used to record
these meetings and the actions agreed (alternative formats can be used but the main points
– subjects discussed, recommendations made, agreed objectives and deadlines – must be
included in the report). The student should complete their report ASAP after the meeting
and submit this to the supervisor(s) for their agreement – please also copy to your
Programme Secretary. The supervisor will upload this to your EUCLID Student Record and
add any notes/comments as applicable.

As noted in Section 2.1 Supervision Meetings the University requires you to meet with your
supervisors at least twice in every three month period.

Training and Courses

This section is concerned with making the most of the opportunities available for
interacting with others and for attending training and courses within the University. The
information below is general information applicable to all MPhil and PhD students, please
see Section E: Additional School/Subject Area Specific Information for any additional details
specific to your programme.

Research Methods Training

During the first year of study all MPhil and PhD students are encouraged to attend the
Research Methods training course(s) run within their School.

These courses are designed to help students undertake their research more efficiently, and
develop transferable skills. Students will explore a variety of research methods,
methodologies and theories of knowledge, along with the possible aims and outcomes
different approaches may lead to. Students are encouraged to map their own research
narrative in relation to the production, distribution and consumption of their work. A key
objective here is to promote innovative, experimental and ambitious research that relates
to academic study and creative practice at the forefront of their field.

Please see Section E: Additional School/Subject Area Specific Information for details specific
to your programme. Further details will be sent out to new students at the start of the
academic session.

In addition to the Research Methods course run within your School you will be able to take
a range of skills training courses including those run by the Institute for Academic
Development (see below).

Scottish Graduate School for Arts & Humanities (SGSAH) Training Events

The Scottish Graduate School for Arts & Humanities (SGSAH) is the world's first national
graduate school in the Arts & Humanities. It comprises HEIs across Scotland, including the
University of Edinburgh, plus supporters from the arts, culture, creative & heritage sectors.
Supported by the Scottish Funding Council & the Arts & Humanities Research Council
(AHRC), they provide the framework to develop strategic & sustainable partnerships to
support world-leading doctoral training in the Arts & Humanities across Scotland.

ECA PhD students are encouraged to attend and engage with SGSAH training and events –
see for further details.

Choosing Courses

While you are a research student you will also be able to take advantage of a number of
opportunities to enhance your repertoire of knowledge and skills, including participation in
some of the many taught courses on offer. In some instances course attendance will be a
specified requirement or strongly recommended by your supervisor, with a view to
benefiting either your general intellectual and practical preparedness or your ability to
undertake effectively some aspect of your specific research project.

On other occasions it will be you who decides that a particular course will be of interest and
likely to prove useful. Of course it is important to strike a reasonable balance between
attendance/auditing of taught courses and undertaking any associated tasks/assessments,
and getting on with your own research. But it is worth finding out what is available and
discussing possibilities with your supervisor. If your supervisor approves of you taking a
taught course you should contact the Course Organiser to check availability. Please
forward your supervisor’s and the Course Organiser’s emails to the ECA Postgraduate Office
to confirm that you can be enrolled on that particular course.

Courses organised by the Institute for Academic Development (IAD)

Postgraduate research students at ECA can participate in the Institute for Academic
Development’s programmes which includes courses about writing, communication,
management, and project planning skills. Full details of the programme are available on the
web, together with details of how to register for courses. Before registering for any of
these courses is it recommended that you discuss this with your supervisor. More
information is available on the IAD website:
and in the IAD brochure:

Recommended courses are:

Year 1 - The Writing Process: Getting Started, Social Media for Impact, Searching Research
Literature and Managing Bibliographies, Time Management and Goal Settings, Writing a
Literature Review, Prepare for Doctoral Success.

Year 2 - Presenting Made Easy - Presentation Techniques, Presenting Made Easy -

Delivering Presentations, Proof Reading.

Year 3 - Writing Abstracts, Writing for Publication, Viva Survivor, Developing a Writing and
Publishing Strategy in the Internet Age.

Courses run by Information Services

There are a wide variety of courses are available through the Information Services
department. Details are available on the web at:
skills .

English Language Education: English Language Support

Some courses run by the English Language Education department are available for those
whose first language is not English. Further information about eligibility and what is
available can be obtained from the English Language Education website:

Open Studies Courses

The Centre for Open Learning provides an array of short courses and language courses
most of which are available to matriculated students at a discounted rate. Details are
available on the website:

Festival of Creative Learning

The Festival of Creative Learning will comprise a programme of events and activities
running throughout the academic year. The Festival will continue to be supported by the
Institute for Academic Development (IAD), and will spread innovative activity across the
academic year.

If you would like to learn more about the Festival and how you can get involved in shaping
it, please email or see

Research Seminars

Most Schools run research seminars throughout the session. These can be seminars led by
staff, students or external speakers. These are advertised by each School regularly by email

and on the ECA website. All students are welcome to attend.

The ECA Research Success Forum addresses key research-related career issues for
academics and postgraduates.

Research seminars held by other Schools within the College of Arts, Humanities and Social
Sciences (CAHSS) are advertised on the CAHSS website. All students are welcome to attend.

The Institute for Advanced Studies in the Humanities (IASH) organises a programme
of lectures, seminars, and workshops throughout the year, as well as hosting
interdisciplinary events for colleagues in CAHSS. They also collate and disseminate details
of research seminars taking place around the College each week. All students are welcome
to attend.

Information on general University events can be found on the University News and Events
webpage .

Working with other students and staff

As one of a growing number of research students in ECA, with varied areas of interest and
at different stages in the research process, you will have plenty of valuable opportunities to
discuss issues with, and to learn from, one another.

A supervisor may sometimes suggest that you take advantage of the range of experience
and expertise available to consult with other members of staff, both within ECA and
throughout the University. In this way you can access different sets of skills and
perspectives concerning theoretical, substantive or methodological issues of relevance to
your research work. Provided they are approached in an appropriate way, you will find that
people are usually very willing to share knowledge and information with you.

Peer Support

Peer Support in the context of the University means a student with more experience sharing
their knowledge, skills, abilities and expertise with a new or less experienced student. Peer
Support may focus around advancing your academic work, providing opportunities to socialise
with other students within your School or offering additional support to ensure your
wellbeing while at University. Edinburgh University Students' Association (EUSA) and the
University have been widely developing the Peer Support Projects across the University since

Three Minute Thesis

The 3 Minute Thesis (3MT) competition requires doctoral researchers to compete to deliver
the best research presentation in just 3 minutes (and one slide). It is based on a concept
developed by the University of Queensland which quickly spread across Australia and New
Zealand, and has gone global. The University of Edinburgh has run a 3MT competition
every year since 2013.

The competition is broken down into stages; School level heats, College level heats, a
University level competition, UK Semi-final, UK Final, and the U21 final competition.

ECA encourages PhD students to take part in this valuable exercise in both disseminating
your research to a wider audience, as well as honing your communication skills.
Information on the 3MT for 2018/19 will be sent to you by the ECA Postgraduate Office in
Semester 2.

Further information can be found on the IAD website:

Planning your work

Everyone embarking on research studies faces the challenge of how to use their time and
organise their work effectively. If you are a full-time student you will be trying to turn to
your advantage the flexibility afforded by a situation that is not very highly structured. If
you are part-time a prime concern is likely to be finding ways of carving out sufficient
chunks of time and energy.

In both cases it may take a while to establish patterns which are well suited to your own
situation (including your preferred style of working, the requirements of your research, and
the demands of other commitments), but still leave room for adaptation as time goes on.
The aim is to come up with plans that provide a secure framework yet are sufficiently
flexible to cope with change and allow you to respond to any unexpected developments.

Hours of work

One question often asked but hard to answer with firm guidance is how many hours per
week you should spend studying. For full-time students an average of 35-40 hours or so
might represent a reasonable target. Most part-time PhD students will need to devote the
equivalent of two and a half full-days a week to their research, in order to remain
sufficiently engaged and to make satisfactory progress. But the specific arrangements can
be flexible and the details will be worked out in consultation with your supervisors, taking
into account the nature of your other commitments.

In all cases the way in which time is allocated and the purposes pursued are likely to be as
important as the amount of time spent. Quality is as important as quantity.

Long and short term planning

Planning your work has both macro and micro dimensions, in terms of drawing up an
overarching research plan and having a strong sense of how you are going to implement it
on a day-to-day basis.

As regards the overall scheme of work, your original research proposal will be a starting
point, but your ideas about how best to focus and structure your research will evolve
throughout the study. Through discussions with your supervisor(s) and working towards
agreed tasks, you will be exposed to new considerations and approaches that may well
result in the firming up of certain aspects and the re-configuration of others.

The process of drawing up a project timetable and setting suitable progress milestones

• identifying the component research tasks and what they will entail
• exploring the pros and cons of different ways of going about your investigations
• deciding how best to sequence the tasks and how long to allow for each phase.

Account has also to be taken of the time needed for practicalities such as negotiating
access to research sites or obtaining ethical clearance and informed consent, if you are
planning to work with participants.

Once the broad research framework and the various stages or phases have been
established, often with the assistance of your supervisors’ experience, it is largely up to you
how to implement the plan of action. Your supervisors will continue to support and help
monitor your activities, but the responsibility for the everyday management of your time
and research tasks rests with you as the postgraduate student.

Time and tasks

Planning your work is as much about task as time management and this applies at the
everyday level. Having a clear and realistic idea at the outset of the tasks to be tackled
during a particular study session, week or month, greatly increases the chances of them
being accomplished within the time available. Thinking in terms of tasks rather than time
spent also increases your own sense of the headway you are making and draws attention to
any adjustments in your plans that may be required.

Sharing your work

One of your tasks as a research student is to present your work to others. You may be
invited to share your research at postgraduate and research seminars which are held
regularly across ECA and the University to discuss work and progress. The seminars offer an
opportunity to present your work to fellow students and academic staff in a supportive and
familiar atmosphere. Students have found giving seminars helpful in focusing their
thoughts, progressing their thinking and obtaining feedback. You should discuss the
appropriate time and focus for your seminars with your supervisors.

Keeping others informed of your plans

It is clearly important to discuss plans with your supervisors and to ensure that they are
aware of your activities and whereabouts. If you are going to be away from the School for
two weeks or more you should inform your supervisors and the ECA Postgraduate Office.
You should also leave contact details in case of an emergency. Formal leave of absence
needs to be sought in order to carry out research or study away from Edinburgh for periods
over four weeks in length (see Section 5.1 of the Code of Practice).

Keeping track of your research

Another aspect of planning is to consider how you are going to organise your research
materials systematically from the outset, so that you always know where you are and can
avoid unnecessary duplication of effort later on in the research process. There are decisions
to be made (eg about the extent to which you will rely on the computer for record keeping
or make use of manual records) and good habits to be established (eg making back-up
copies of everything important and periodically clearing out anything that is no longer
required). Other things, such as adopting a referencing system from the outset, carefully
recording your bibliographic searches, and being scrupulous in your note-making from
various information sources, as well as develop an appropriate system to document any
non-text-based aspects of your research process, can all help you feel in control and will
ease the production of the final outcome by which your research efforts will be judged.

Research Ethics

ECA attaches great importance to the ethical implications of all research activities carried
out by its staff and students. All research carried out will therefore be subject to some
form of ethical review. ECA has developed a three-tiered system for its ethical review of
research activities which is designed to be simple to use, and also to ensure that any
complex cases can be given the attention and consideration required of the ECA Research,
Ethics and Knowledge Exchange Committee. All researchers, including postgraduate
students, deemed to be undertaking a research project should start at Level 1 by
completing a self-audit check-list.

Postgraduate research students should apply for ethical approval for their research project
by completing the online assessment form available at
impact/_layouts/15/start.aspx#/SitePages/Apply for Ethical Approval.aspx

If any issues are identified, applicants then proceed through levels 2 and 3 of assessment.

Further information can be found on the ECA webpage

home/research/ethics-policy and ECA intranet
impact/_layouts/15/start.aspx#/SitePages/Research Ethics.aspx

Students should email once they have completed the self-
audit checklist to notify the Postgraduate Office that they have done so.

Student Contract
The Student Contract
Successful study at University stems from a partnership between students and staff, and
the University is committed to providing you with a learning environment and student
services which enable you to fulfil your potential. Find information on the University's
rules, regulations and policies here:

Section B: Progress and Assessment
Once you have matriculated and have met initially with your supervisor(s), you should be in
a position to begin working on your research topic. As indicated above you should maintain
regular contact with your supervisor(s), who will give you guidance on how to structure
your research.

What follows in this section is information on how progress through the research period is
monitored in order to ensure that the student-supervisor relationship is working and that
you are making good progress.

There is also information on what can be done if, for any reason, you are ill or unable to
continue for a period of time with your research project. The section ends with practical
and administrative information on what to do when you are ready to submit your thesis.

Student Engagement and Attendance Monitoring

Attendance and Engagement Monitoring of All Students

UK Government Legislation relating to Points-Based Immigration requires all universities to

monitor the attendance of their international students. The College of Arts, Humanities and
Social Sciences monitors the engagement and attendance of all students. This gives a
positive opportunity to identify and help all students who might be having problems of one
kind or another, or who might need more support.

ECA will record attendance and engagement at 12 points throughout each academic year.
These points will be spread throughout the academic year and will incorporate a variety of
types of academic engagement, including supervisory meetings and annual reviews.
Expected contact point dates will depend on each student’s start date and registration
details, but generally equate to approximately one contact point per month. For a typical
student starting in September the contact points will be as follows:

• Contact Point 1 - Attendance confirmation at PG Office / Induction (September)

• Contact Point 2 - Supervisory meeting (1 September-15 October)
• Contact Point 3 - Supervisory meeting (16 October-30 November)
• Contact Point 4 - Supervisory meeting (1 December-15 January)
• Contact Point 5 - Attendance confirmation at PG Office (January)
• Contact Point 6 - Supervisory meeting (16 January-28 February)
• Contact Point 7 - Supervisory meeting (1 March-15 April)
• Contact Point 8 - Submission of Self-Reflection Report (May)
• Contact Point 9 - Supervisory meeting (16 April-31 May)
• Contact Point 10 - Annual Review meeting (June)
• Contact Point 11 - Supervisory meeting (1 June-15 July)
• Contact Point 12 - Supervisory meeting (16 July-31 August)

Please note: Submission of Intention to Submit Form and attendance at a Viva Voce

examination may count as a Contact Point in place of one of the listed Contact Points

This will apply to all students, including those who are registered as writing up their thesis
and those on leave of absence (study away).

Where students are off-campus (doing field work or research in another country/location),
there can also be virtual contact points: emails, skype interactions, etc. For students on
permitted field-work, or off-campus for research or other similar activities, scheduled email
updates between supervisors and supervisees can constitute contact points, especially
those which contain a requirement for the student to forward work completed to date, or
linked to research milestones or other course/programme outcomes.

Engagement and attendance will be recorded on the EUCLID student record system. The
ECA Postgraduate Office will record the attendance confirmation points (September and
January), the Self-Reflection Report and Annual Review meetings on EUCLID.

Supervision meeting records will be used to check that engagement has taken place
during each Supervisory Meeting engagement point. Please see Section 2.1 of the Code
of Practice for details on recording your supervision meetings.

The ECA Postgraduate Office will check that engagement and attendance has been
recorded for each Contact Point.

Where students are found not to be engaging the below escalation process will be followed
to ascertain and resolve the problem. Non-attendance and non-engagement may
ultimately result in a student’s exclusion or withdrawal from the programme of study (5.5
Withdrawal from studies and 5.6 Exclusion from studies in the Code of Practice).

Escalation stage 1 - If no contact is recorded this will be classed as a missed

engagement/contact point and the student will be contacted by email. The Supervisor(s)
will be copied into the email. The student will be reminded that engagement is required
and will be asked to provide an explanation for the missed engagement/contact point
within 7 days.

Escalation stage 2 - If no explanation is provided or the reason given is insufficient the

student will formally be contacted (by email and mailed letter) and asked to respond within
7 days. The Supervisor(s) and Subject Area PGR Director will be copied into the email. The
student will be informed that failure to respond or to resolve the issues may result in
exclusion as per the Procedure for Withdrawal and Exclusion from Studies.

Escalation stage 3 - If no explanation is provided, the reason given is insufficient or if 2

engagement contact points are missed the case will be escalated and the ECA PGR Director
informed. The student will formally be contacted (by email and mailed letter) and asked to
attend a meeting with the Subject Area PGR Director to discuss any issues relating to the
non-engagement and will be informed that failure to respond or to resolve the issues may
result in exclusion as per the Procedure for Withdrawal and Exclusion from Studies.

Escalation stage 4/final - If the student fails to respond or to explain and resolve the issues
the ECA PGR Director will be informed. The ECA Postgraduate Office will contact the CAHSS
Postgraduate Office to ask for the exclusion process to commence as per the Procedure for
Withdrawal and Exclusion from Studies. The ECA Postgraduate Office will formally contact
the student (by email and mailed letter) to advise them of this action.

Students on a Tier 4 Visa

As a Tier 4 student visa holder, it is your responsibility to comply with the conditions of
your visa. Failure to follow these conditions will result in the university reporting you to the
UKVI. Any non-attendance of international students may affect your sponsorship status.

Your responsibilities as a Tier 4 student:

Further details on the terms and conditions of your Tier 4 visa can be found in the
“Downloads” section at

Information or advice about your Tier 4 immigration status can be obtained by contacting
the Edinburgh Global International Student Advisory Service

Monitoring Student Progress – Annual Progression Reviews

The University requires Schools and supervisors to review student progress within 9 to 12
months for each year of full-time or part-time study for MPhil and PhD degrees. By this
time the student will have produced an identifiable body of work that has been produced
independently and that can be assessed. The annual progression review must be
completed in every year of a student’s study until submission of thesis.

This monitoring process allows students to reflect on their progress so far and plan for the
following year. The process also gives students and supervisors the opportunity to raise and
address any concerns that may arise so that the students receive the support they need in
order to succeed on the degree.

Further information on the annual progression review process and recommendations

following the review can be found in the Code of Practice, section 3.1 and the PG
Assessment Regulations for Research Degrees, regulations 13-15.

Annual Progression Review Process

The review is held early within 9 to 12 months of the student’s matriculation, to allow time
for a repeat review if this is required. Normally the student will submit their annual
progression reports in month 9, the review meeting and oral presentation will take place in
month 10 and the review will be completed by the end of month 10 of study each year.

The student's progression must be confirmed or degree registration changed or a repeat
review scheduled.

There are similar procedures for full-time and part-time students, and reviews of part-time
students will also take place within 9 to 12 months of their enrolment. Part-time students
will not be expected to have made as much progress as full-time students within this time.

If a candidate is initially registered on MPhil and wishes to transfer from MPhil to PhD, they
will be expected to demonstrate how (and why) the research completed during this period
can be used to develop a coherent body of work which will be an original contribution to
knowledge in the field(s) of knowledge, within which this research has been located by the

If the candidate is registered for PhD, they will still have to demonstrate the potential of
this research for originality, and if they cannot do this at this stage, they may be advised to
submit the project as an MPhil or MSc by Research.

By the end of the second year students are expected to produce a substantial piece of
writing beyond that submitted for the first year and so on. Practice-based research
students will have assembled a substantial part of their portfolio and any relevant
documentation by the second year.

Annual review stages

The annual review process is made up of a number of stages:

Stage 1 – Student Submission:

The annual progression review report will be activated on the online system upon
completion of 8 months registration each year (start of month 9 of registration). Students
will receive an email notification to tell them the review is open and will ask them to
complete and submit the required online annual self-reflection review form in EUCLID. The
self-reflection review form should be completed within one month (by the end of month 9
of registration).

In addition to the on-line annual self-reflection review form students will be asked to
submit additional written documentation for their annual review each year. Please see
Section E for your School/subject area specific requirements.

The additional written documentation can be uploaded in EUCLID with your self-reflection
report or emailed to the ECA Postgraduate Office ( .

Stage 2 – Review Meeting:

Supervisors will automatically be sent an email to inform them when the student has
submitted their self-reflection review form. The Supervisor will ask the student to attend a
formal review meeting and some cases give an oral presentation. The review meeting
should take place in month 10 of registration for the majority of students.

Each year the review panel will consist of the complete supervisory team and an
independent reviewer/assessor. The review panel will consider the student’s self-
reflection report, the written documentation and oral presentation (if required).

Stage 3 – Supervisors Reports:

After the meeting, all of the Supervisors will complete an Annual Report on your progress
over the session via the online system. The Independent Reviewer/Assessor will complete
a feedback form.

Stage 4 – Feedback to Student:

Students will be able to access their Supervisor’s report via EUCLID once this is complete.
This will provide feedback on the written report and oral presentation. Feedback should be
given within 15 working days.

Stage 5 and 6 – Final Approval:

The report is submitted to the Postgraduate Office and the Subject Area PGR Director for
final comment and approval.

All stages of the Annual Progression Review process (including PGR Director’s approval)
must be complete by the end of month 10 of registration.

Please see Section E for your School/subject area specific requirements.

Repeat Review

Should a repeat review be needed, students will have the remaining 2 months of the year
of study (month 11 and 12 of registration) to complete the repeat review submission and
have the repeat review meeting (before the end of month 12 of registration).

Students must be provided with a statement on expectations for progress for the repeat
review. Only one repeat review is permitted per year of study.

The full repeat review should be fully completed by the end of month 12 of registration,
unless 3 months has been granted due to exceptional circumstances (see Code of Practice,
section 5.4 – Special circumstances affecting studies and assessment).

Feedback by Postgraduate Research Students

Normally, towards the end of Semester 2 every second year students are asked to
complete a Student Survey (Postgraduate Research Survey, PRES) to give feedback on your
experience as a student at ECA and the University. Normally you will receive an email giving
you a website where an online questionnaire is available for you to complete. This helps
the University to monitor general trends and identify any issues within the research
student population, and your co-operation in completing this questionnaire is very
important. If you wish, you can fill the questionnaire in anonymously, but you are reminded

that if you are experiencing problems you should seek advice as soon as possible. Often
little can be done about specific problems identified anonymously.

Absences, Interruptions and Extensions

Leave of Absence

As part of your research you may need to leave Edinburgh to carry out fieldwork or
research activities elsewhere in the UK or abroad. If this is the case, you should apply for
leave of absence. If you are going to be away from the University for 30 calendar days or
more you will be required to request a leave of absence, you should speak with your
supervisor who will complete the appropriate form and return it to the ECA Postgraduate
Office. Once the leave of absence is approved it will be recorded on your student record.
Students in their writing-up year who are working away from the University must also apply
for a leave of absence.
Further information on leave of absence can be found in the Code of Practice, section 5.1.

Interruption of Studies

Interruption of Studies are applicable where a student is unable to work towards their
degree for a period of time due to circumstances that are largely beyond their own control.
This may be for a number of reasons, including medical, personal or family reasons. If you
find yourself in such a situation, you should discuss it with your supervisor or the ECA
Postgraduate Office first. They will be able to advise if an interruption should be requested.
Following this meeting you should submit a Concession Request form for a specific period
to the ECA Postgraduate Office. Any supporting documentation (e.g. medical certificate)
should be submitted at the same time. Your supervisor will be required to endorse your
request. The ECA Postgraduate Senior Tutor will consider and then present the request to
the CAHSS Postgraduate Office and you will be informed of the outcome in due course.

A period of interruption does not count towards your total permitted period of study.
Interruptions can be requested for whole calendar months only (ie from the start of a
month to the end of a month). Please note, if a period of interruption exceeds 60 days for
international students holding a visa to study they must leave the UK – for further
information please contact the International Office.

Further information can be found in the Code of Practice, section 5.2 and in the Authorised
Interruption of Study Policy.

Extension of Studies

Students who are unable to complete by their maximum end date (ie after full/part-time
prescribed study plus the writing-up year) (see Section 1, Period of Study above) may apply
for an extension of studies. Extensions to the period of study are exceptional not automatic
and will only be approved where there is a strong case and evidence of circumstances that
have delayed completion.

You should apply in the same way as for an interruption of studies (see above). Students
must supply an explanation of the circumstances preventing submission within the normal
maximum period, details of the work completed to date and a timetable to completion,
including interim deadlines.

An extension will incur continuation fees for the period of extension beyond the maximum
end date (2018/19 = £690 for 12 months or pro-rata per month).

Further information can be found in the Code of Practice, section 5.3.

Vacation Leave

Research Students are entitled to up to six weeks’ vacation leave in a year without applying
for an interruption of study. Students must seek approval for vacation leave from their
supervisor and notify the ECA Postgraduate Office. Vacation leave will be recorded on the
student record. Visa restrictions may also apply in the case of International students.

Maternity and Family Leave

The University is committed to providing adjustments to students to ensure that they are not
disadvantaged in their studies due to pregnancy or adoption of a child.
For further details see:

Sick Leave

If you suffer from an illness which results in absence for more than seven days you will
need to provide written medical confirmation of illness from your doctor. An acute spell of
sickness of a few days (less than 7) might interfere with your completion of work or prevent
you meeting deadlines. In this case you should submit a self-certification form.

Please note, it is your responsibility to draw to our attention any factors which may
adversely affect your performance. You should do so by contacting your Supervisor or ECA
Postgraduate Office as soon as possible.

Exclusion and Withdrawal

There may be circumstances where a student voluntarily wishes to leave the University
permanently (withdrawal), and also circumstances where a student is required to leave the
University permanently (exclusion). Reason for exclusion may be for unsatisfactory academic
progress, non-attendance, non-matriculation, lapse of time, disciplinary offence or debt.
Further information can be found in in the Code of Practice, section 5.5 and 5.6, and in the
Procedure for Withdrawal and Exclusion from Studies:
pdf .

Thesis Submission and Assessment
Full guidance regarding thesis submission and assessment is available in the Postgraduate
Assessment Regulations, available online at:

Further information can be found in the Code of Practice, section 4.

Summary information is noted below – please contact the ECA Postgraduate Office if you
have any questions.

Notice of Intention to Submit

Approximately two months before you are planning to submit, you should complete a
‘Notice of Intention to Submit’ form. This should be sent to your Programme Secretary
along with your Abstract of Thesis and Lay Summary Form:


Students should submit their thesis for examination before they reach the end of their
maximum period of study. It is always advisable for students to consult closely with their
supervisor as to whether the thesis is ready for submission but the decision to submit rests
with the student, not the supervisor.

Your thesis should comply with the University's regulations for layout and format. The
thesis may be submitted in temporary/soft binding initially (glued spine, spirally bound,
comb bound).

Information on the thesis length/word count can be found in the Postgraduate Degree
Programme Regulations. Regulations 43 and 45 give the general word count for all theory
based PhDs and MPhils plus guidance on what is included in the word count.

ECA research degree programmes with specific word counts and guidance can be found in
the following regulations:

Regulation 60-61 - PhD in Musical Composition

Regulations 62-63 - PhD (eca) and MPhil (eca) Art and Design practice-based degrees with
submission by portfolio
Regulation 75 - PhD in Creative Music Practice
Regulation 77 - PhD in Architecture by Design.

Two soft bound copies of the thesis are required (one for each Examiner). Copies of the
thesis must be submitted to the College of Humanities and Social Science (CAHSS)

Postgraduate Office at George Square. An electronic copy of the thesis should also be
submitted by email, or on a CD or USB drive.


Submitting your thesis will initiate the process of examination. Most students will have one
internal and one external examiner who will be selected by your supervisor(s) in
consultation with yourself. Once examiners have been appointed your thesis will be sent to
them for assessment. Examiners complete two reports on a PhD thesis. The first
preliminary report is made before the viva (or oral) takes place and before the examiners
have conferred with one another. Once the viva has taken place the examiners compile a
joint second report recommending a particular outcome.

The arrangements for the viva (oral examination), which usually takes place within two or
three months of thesis submission (depending how promptly the examiners can be
appointed), are made by the Internal Examiner and the ECA Postgraduate Office. The viva
will be arranged for a mutually convenient date and time. A Non-Examining Chair will
attend for the duration of the viva. Their role will be to ensure that due process is carried
out, that all parties to the examination process fully understand the expectations of them
and to offer assistance and facilitation where necessary. The Examiners and Non-Examining
Chair will normally meet prior to your arrival (and your supervisor’s arrival, if attending)
and the viva itself is likely to last approx. one and a half hours. However, the duration of the
viva is not preset and will depend on what the examiners consider necessary in order to
satisfy themselves as to whether the examination criteria have been met. It is up to you
whether or not you wish your supervisor to be present at the viva examination. If you and
the examiners are happy for your supervisor to attend, he/she will be there as an observer


The provisional outcome of an MPhil/PhD examination is often made known to the

candidate concerned at the end of the viva, although this is not always the case, and you
should not assume that you will be told at the time. Following the viva, the Examiners will
confer and compile a joint report with recommendations which is submitted to the CAHSS
Examinations Committee. Once the CAHSS Examinations Committee has ratified the
recommendation of the Examiners, the student will be officially informed of the outcome.
There are a range of possible recommendations including award degree, corrections, re-
submission, award lower degree or fail. The full-list of possible recommendations can be
found in the Postgraduate Assessment Regulations, section 22 for PhD and section 24 for

Degree Award and Graduation

Once you have passed your examination and you have submitted one hardbound copy of
your thesis (and one electronic copy) in accordance with the University regulations, your
degree will be awarded and you will be informed of the next graduation ceremony you may

attend. Formal graduation ceremonies take place in June/July and in November each year.
If you wish to attend you must complete the online graduation registration form by the
published deadline before the date of the ceremony. If you do not wish to attend the
graduation ceremony you will graduate in absentia and your degree certificate will be sent
to you after the graduation ceremony. See
administration/graduations for further information.

Academic Appeals

A candidate has the right to lodge an appeal against the results of an examination.
For guidance please visit:

Students wishing to appeal are strongly advised to contact The Advice Place (0131 650
9225) before submitting an appeal. See .

Section C: Facilities and Support
Fees, Funding and Financial Matters

Tuition Fees and Payment

For information on tuition fees please see:

For information on fee payments:

General Costs

During your studies you are likely to incur costs relating to photocopying, printing, library
fees, material costs etc. These fees should be paid locally to ECA or the University.
Information will be available directly from the ECA/University or the local
department/service provider.

You will also have general living costs. You can find an estimation of the cost of living in
Edinburgh on the website:

Financial Advice

General information and guidance on financial matters for all students can be found at:

If you are having financial problems please seek advice as early as possible. You can get
guidance and advice from the EUSA Advice Place or
the University Scholarships and Student Funding Services
funding .

Postgraduate Research Expenses (PRE) Grant

The Postgraduate Research Expenses (PRE) grant is intended to assist postgraduate

research (PGR) students with the costs of research activities directly related to their
research project, including fieldwork, archival visits, musical performances, exhibitions or
equivalent practice-based outputs, as well as conference presentations.

The maximum amount a full-time student can receive in an academic year is £500. Part-
time student can receive a maximum of £250 each year. Priority will be given to applicants
who have not previously received funding.

Applications are considered once each semester on a competitive basis. Application

submission deadlines in 2018/19 will be:

Semester 1 – Friday 16 November 2018
Semester 2 – Friday 29 March 2018

Application forms and guidance information can be found on the ECA intranet page:

The ECA Postgraduate Office will send reminder emails and application forms to all
students prior to each application deadline.

Other sources of funding

Postgraduate students at ECA have a range of funding sources to approach for support with
their studies, whether this relates to fieldwork, archive visits or conference attendance.
One place to start looking for this funding is the ECA Scholarships webpage or the central University’s scholarships website

ECA have been awarded Devolved Researcher funding to support the professional, personal
and career development of postgraduate students (taught and research) in academic
session 2018/19. Details of how to apply for funding and deadlines for this will be made
available to students during the session.

The Institute for Academic Development can provide information and training on knowing
where and how to apply for funding. They also have a Researcher-Led Initiative fund that is
available to researchers to help you organise and run development initiatives locally.

Study Accommodation

ECA Central PGR Study Space

ECA provides central study space for currently registered ECA postgraduate research (PGR)
students (PhD, MPhil and MScR) on Level 5 of Evolution House. This is a secure area
accessed by a keypad.

Room 5.09 is a general PGR study space comprising of bookable desk spaces, hot-desks
available for general use, an IT hub with computers (6 PC’s and 2 Macs), scanners,
printer/photocopier, lockers, noticeboards and bookshelves. A small tea/coffee point with
filtered hot/cold water, sink, fridge and soft seating is available for PGR student use –
please note this is a tea/coffee break area not a general meeting space.

Due to space limitations permanent desk space is not possible but students can apply to be
allocated a desk space for a specified period each academic session – see table below for
details - or can use the hot-desking facilities.

Please note: First year MPhil and PhD students can use hot-desks during Semester 1 and
can submit a desk space booking request for Semester 2 onwards.

Please contact the ECA Postgraduate Office if you wish further information, a bookable
space request form or the access code for this area.

1. Allocated desk - PhD Year 1 FT (from semester 2) MPhil Year 1 FT (from semester 2) MPhil
One semester* PhD Year 2 and 3 FT Year 2 FT
PhD Year 4 FT writing-up MPhil Year 3 FT writing-up
2. Allocated desk - PhD Year 5 and 6 FT extension MPhil Year 4 and 5 FT extension
One month MSc by Research FT in semester 3
(May - August)
3. Shared desk - One PhD Year 1 PT (from semester 2) MPhil Year 1 PT (from semester 2)
semester* PhD Year 2 to 6 PT MPhil Year 2 to 4 PT
PhD Year 7 PT writing-up MPhil Year 5 PT writing-up
4. Shared desk -One PhD Year 8 and 9 PT extension MPhil Year 6 and 7 PT extension
month MSc by Research PT in semester 3
(May - August)
5. Hot-desk PhD Year 1 FT/PT (semester 1) MPhil Year 1 FT/PT (semester 1)
All MPhil/PhD students FT/PT MSc by Research students FT/PT
Semester 1 = September - December, Semester 2 = January - April, Semester 3 = May – August

*Students in category 1 (allocated desk – one semester) and category 3 (shared desk – one semester) can also
request a desk for one month instead of one semester if this is all that is required

MPhil and PhD students across all ECA schools will have 24 hour access to this central PGR
study space on Level 5 of Evolution House. Students must complete the online induction
assessment “ECA Evening and Weekend working” on Learn in order to start the process of
activating 24 hour access. Further information on ECA Building Opening Hours can be
found on the ECA website

ECA Central PGR Practice-Based Space

Room 5.17 is a PGR study space for practice-based students comprising of bookable desk
spaces, hot-desks and lockers. This area is classed as a “dirty space” (with lino flooring and
Belfast sink) and allows practice-based students to undertake some practical work in this
area. This area, however, is not a studio or workshop therefore practical work undertaken
here must be limited in terms of space, noise, smells etc. Students requiring
studio/workshop space should request access to these facilities within their academic
School/subject area. Room 5.17 links to room 5.09 and shares use of the IT hub,
printer/photocopier and tea/coffee point.

Due to space limitations permanent desk space is not possible but students can apply to be
allocated a desk space for a specified period each academic session – see table above for
details - or can use the hot-desking facilities.

Please note: First year MPhil and PhD students can use hot-desks during Semester 1 and
can submit a desk space booking request for Semester 2 onwards.

Please contact the ECA Postgraduate Office if you wish further information, a bookable
space request form or the access code for this area.

Other Study Space

In addition to the ECA central study space mentioned above some ECA subject areas have
limited study space or common room space for research students’ use. Please see Section
E for School/Subject Area specific information.

The University also provides a wide range of study space for general student use. Details
can be found here .

There is a dedicated area for Postgraduate study on Floor 5 of the Main Library. Floor 5 of
the Main Library is a designated silent area. There are no PCs but laptops and tablets may
be used. The Postgraduate area is indicated by signage.

Study space for all ECA students is available on Level 2 of the Library at Evolution House.

In some cases if rooms are not needed for teaching they are available for students to use
for study space. Further details can be found here: .

Studio, Workshop and Technical Provision

ECA has a wide range of studios and workshop spaces for Art, Design, Architecture,
Landscape Architecture, Sound Design and Music activities, at its Lauriston Place, Minto
House, and Alison House buildings. Students who work on practice-led projects can apply
to get access to studios and specialist facilities as well as timetabled use of shared
resources, such as the printmaking, wood-working and metal workshops and project
spaces. Students should discuss any requirements they have for accessing studios and
workshops with their supervisors in the first instance. In some cases where studios are in
constant use for undergraduate/postgraduate teaching it may be necessary for the
supervisor to seek approval from the Head of School and for timetabled slots to be made
available for specific project work. Please see Section E for School/Subject Area specific

Health and safety issues arising from changing workshop practices are continually
reviewed, with an intensive annual induction course. All users of workshops must attend an

Further information on available facilities can be found at .

Access to ECA buildings

For information on access to ECA buildings and building opening times please see:

Health and Safety Regulations

All new students must attend a Health and Safety training session. For information and
safety regulations, students are referred to the Health and Safety Handbook – see .

Information Services

Computing services, Card Services and Library services are managed by the Information
Services department. Detailed information on all services provided here can be found at: .

Computer Services and Facilities

ECA has a number of computer suites for student use. These are shared open access
suites. All ECA computers require login authorisation.

ECA is wireless networked throughout. Students’ personal laptops can also be network
enabled. Students may be able to connect their own laptops to the internet and printer
network. See
personal/wireless-networking for details.

Information and links to the ECA Computing Services self-help documentation are available
on the ECA intranet and wiki:;jsessionid=BD728C3B9DED93FFFC7

For further information on the University Computing Services see:

All students should use one of the following routes for IT support:

* Email:
* Web form:
* Phone: (0131 6)51 51 51


When you join the University you will be given a University of Edinburgh (UoE) email
account which will be used for a variety of essential communications. You must access and
manage this account regularly as the University will send you vital information from time to
time, and will assume that you have opened and acted on these communications. Failure
to do so will not be an acceptable excuse or ground for appeal.

If you already have a web-based personal email account and think that you are unlikely to
check your UoE email account regularly, it is your responsibility to set up a forward on the
UoE account to ensure that all official University communications are received. There are
instructions if you wish to do so – please see

All formal ECA and University emails will be sent to your University e-mail accounts,
personal e-mail addresses will not be used for formal communications. Personal email
addresses will only be used if we need to contact you urgently or in case of emergency,
please therefore ensure that your personal email address on your student record is kept up
to date.

Your University email address will be added to relevant mailing lists at ECA (for example a
mailing list for all research students in your subject area, all research students at ECA, all
students at ECA). These will be used by the ECA Postgraduate Office, your School Office
and ECA Office to circulate general notices on events, news etc. to relevant groups of

Photocopying and Printing

In various locations throughout the College, there are card-operated photocopiers for
student use. These are located at most Library sites, including the University Main Library,
Evolution House Library and the Art and Architecture Library at Minto House. Use is
controlled by card-readers, and photocopying cards are available from the Library – see
library/photocopying for details. Reprographics services are also available at the Lauriston
Place Reprographics Unit and at Minto House McGovern Media Centre – see .

Printing is on a credit basis and can be topped up at library locations across UoE. ECA
research students will be given a print credit allocation of £50 at the start of the session.
Students can also add further credit to their account using the Online Print Credit channel
in MyEd. The channel is available to students through the myStuff tab as a default. The

channel also allows students to view their current printing account balance and their recent
account history (payments and printing). Further guidance is available on the web:
credit and .

Student Cards

Your University student card is used for identification, library services, and access to entry
controlled buildings. The PIN associated with your card can be changed using the Card PIN
channel on MyEd, which is usually on the myStuff tab. Cards are issued to new students
during Welcome Week. If you require a replacement card, please contact a Card Help Desk.
See the Card Services website for further details:

Library Services

ECA has two libraries – the ECA Library is based at Evolution House and the Art and
Architecture Library is at Minto House.

Students can also access the other University libraries, including the University Main Library
at George Square. For a list of library locations and facilities see:


New students are provided with a UUN (University Username) and EASE password prior to
starting at University. Your EASE password is one you chose yourself, not the registration
password that was issued to you. If you don't know your EASE password or you need help
with registering, please contact IS Helpline for assistance, stating your student username,
full name and date of birth.

Your UUN and EASE password will allow you to access the MyEd portal, a gateway to a wide range of University systems, services and
information. You only need to remember one web site address for services such as email,
the Learn online learning environment, and much more. Students should check the MyEd
portal regularly.

Students can view and edit personal and study details within their MyEd Portal. The new
Student Personal Details channel allows students to review their contact details, address
information & emergency contacts, as the additional achievements that will appear on
their Higher Education Achievements Record (HEAR) information. It also provides the ability
to edit certain personal details directly. For further information see

ECA Postgraduate Research Learn Page

All MPhil and PhD students are enrolled on the ECA Postgraduate Research Learn page,
which they can access after logging in to The page is
maintained by the ECA Postgraduate Office and gathers all information related to ECA
research degrees, allows students to use a Turnitin submission box to check their thesis
drafts for plagiarism, and also contains a student forum to share events, news and discuss
with your research community.

PGR Student Profile

Postgraduate Research students automatically get a profile on the ECA website
options=All&school=All , which will contain some basic information about the programme
you are on and how to get in contact with you. But the profile is also an opportunity to
provide information about your research interests, and the work you’re doing at ECA. Your
profile is also linked to through your Supervisor’s staff profile page.

You can complete the website training session on Learn ( to

be able to get access to make your own updates to your profile. Information on this online
training can also be found in the “Web” section of the intranet There is a link to the intranet at the bottom of the ECA
website main page (

The ECA Web team will also be running additional training sessions throughout the year if
anyone has any particular questions or concerns about making updates on the site. You will
be notified about these sessions after you have completed the training. If you have any
problems you can email your updates through to the web team (, who
can make them on your behalf. Suggestions on how to create an effective profile and the
kind of content to send through to the web team can be found on the “Web” section of the
ECA intranet.

If you have any questions, contact the web team on

Use of Social Media

While there are many cautionary tales about the use of social media and the 'digital
footprint', there are also many positives to engaging with it. There have been many
examples recently of students and graduates using social media to network and, in some
cases, find employment. Social media allows easy exchange of information and ideas and
can provide a powerful platform for discussion - all of which is within the control of the
account owner. Do not be afraid to engage with debate but do remember that what goes
on the internet stays on the internet – you need to remember that a future employer may
discover things about you that you would prefer to keep private. We expect you to be
courteous in your postings and to not make personal or hurtful comments about other
students or staff. You should ensure your comments are lawful, ie are consistent with

legislatively protected areas of equality and diversity, and do not constitute a disciplinary
offence under the University’s code, which include offensive behaviour (in writing as well as
actual) and bringing the University into disrepute.

For further information on the use of Social Media, please see the University’s main
website via the following links:


ECA and the University cannot be relied on to forward mail to you. Please therefore use
your private address for private correspondence.

Confidentiality – Student Record

The general principle observed at all times is that information about students is
confidential to the University and to the individual student. The University will not normally
confirm to an enquirer other than yourself or a member of University staff whether or not
you are a registered student of the University, or disclose to them information held about
you. In the case of enquiries from friends or family the University will normally offer to
contact you to pass on a message but will not transfer calls directly to you or disclose
information about you.

Sensitive personal information (such as medical certificates, notes of appeal, disciplinary

case notes) will be regarded as strictly confidential and will only be released with the
consent of the student or on a “need to know” basis.

Part-time Employment

The opportunity to undertake some part-time work is welcomed by many doctoral

students, particularly if they are self-funding. However, part-time work can only be
considered a means of supplementing income rather than the main source of finance.
There are sometimes opportunities for employment within the University, such as work
associated with research projects or tutoring and demonstrating, but these cannot be
depended upon. The University also has a Careers Service which helps students find part-
time, one-off and vacation jobs which meet agreed minimum standards of pay and hours
and also fit with study.

If you are a full time student the University recommends that you do not work more than 9
hours per week on average across the academic year.

Information can be found on the links below:


PGR Course Tutoring

In ECA PGR students play a vital role as Course Tutors on undergraduate programmes. This
enhances the learning experience of undergraduate students whilst also providing
important training and development opportunities for PGR students. All PGR students who
have successfully completed their 1st year review are eligible to apply for Course Tutor
positions where they are available.

In accordance with the Policy for the recruitment, support and development of tutors and
demonstrators and with CAHSS policy, in the coming academic year 2018/19, full time PhD
students will be permitted to work up to (but no more than), 9 hours in any week across
the whole University.

You can also refer to the ECA intranet (Sharepoint) for details of the recruitment process
for PGR course tutors, as well as important information on offers of employment,
contracts, rates of pay and support mechanisms:

Resolving Problems – Who to contact

If there is a problem, there are several people and places to whom you can go for help. In
the first instance you will probably approach either your supervisor(s), your Programme
Secretary in the ECA Postgraduate Office, your School/Subject Area PGR Director or your
fellow postgraduate students for help.

Whom you choose to approach will partly depend on the nature of the problem. You
should however generally seek to resolve issues directly with those involved before seeking
support elsewhere. A range of support structures exist in ECA.

Specialist advice is available in the University on a range of matters, including:

• for fee issues see the Scholarships and Student Funding Services website

• for accommodation issues see the Accommodation Services website

• for counseling issues see the Student Counselling Service website

• for disability issues see the Student Disability Service website

• and for general advice see the Advice Place website

Section D: General University Information
Edinburgh University Students’ Association

All fully matriculated students automatically become members of the Edinburgh University
Students’ Association which is governed by the student body and run by students elected
annually from the membership and student volunteers who are recruited throughout the
year. The Students’ Association is comprised of two main bodies: the Edinburgh University
Union and the Students’ Representative Council. The Students’ Association also employ a
number of professional staff who provide advice and support for students. Edinburgh
University Students’ Association work very closely with the University to ensure the best
possible experience for students. Information can be found on the Edinburgh University
Students’ Association website .

The Advice Place

The Advice Place is Edinburgh University Students' Association drop-in advice centre,
offering free, confidential and independent advice on a range of issues including money
issues, accommodation problems, academic concerns etc. .

Student Representatives

Staff members at the University of Edinburgh work closely with student representatives.
Edinburgh University Students' Association (EUSA) coordinates student representation and
provides training and support for student representatives across the University. Student
representatives (‘Reps’) listen to you to identify areas for improvement, suggest solutions,
and ensure that your views inform strategic decisions within the University, building a
stronger academic community and improving your student life. Schools share students’ emails
with their student representatives as a matter of course; any student wishing to opt out from
this should tell the School’s Teaching Office/Graduate School or equivalent.

Student Disability Service

The Student Disability Service is a service which supports disabled students. Their main
focus is providing advice and support. They support students with dyslexia, mental health
issues and students on the autistic spectrum, as well as those who have physical and
sensory impairments.

Student Counselling Service

The University Student Counselling service offers one to one counselling, workshops and
consultation. The aim is to help students work through their difficulty, understand

themselves better and find ways of managing their situation. If you think you would
benefit from counselling please contact the University Student Counselling Service.

Careers Service

Information and advice for postgraduate students including taught and research masters
and PhD students on career options, job search and application strategies and other
support from the Careers Service. Further details are available at the website:

Edinburgh Global

Edinburgh Global provides a range of services for staff, current students and prospective
students. This includes visa advice, opportunities to go abroad, and guidance on setting up
partnerships. Information on the range of services available can be found on their website .

University Health Service

The University Health Centre is an independent National Health Service partnership of

general practitioners who rent premises from the University and offer full GP services to
patients who live within the practice area and choose to register with the practice.

For out-of-hours health issues that arise when the Health Centre is closed you can contact
NHS 24 by phoning them on 111 or by visiting their website . NHS 24
is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

In an emergency please phone the Emergency Services number on 999.

Additional Services

Centre For Sport & Exercise:

Student Administration Services

Student Administration are responsible for providing services to all students throughout
their time at the University of Edinburgh and for supporting Colleges and Schools and other
student services in delivering a high quality student experience. The Student
Administration Services can assist with providing certificates of matriculation, Council Tax
exemptions, bank letters etc.

Equal Opportunities – Dignity and Respect

The University of Edinburgh is committed to Equality of Opportunity for all its staff and
students. The University values diversity and recognises that a diverse staff and student
group contributes to its continued achievement of excellence. The University aims to
promote best practice and to mainstream equality and diversity into policy and practice
and to ensure compliance with equalities legislation.


If you experience any type of harassment at all whilst at Edinburgh there are various ways
of dealing with it. If you feel you are being harassed by a member of staff, or another
student, the University has a harassment code of practice to deal with this, and a network
of contact advisors to assist you. The Advice Place has a list of contact advisors and can also
provide advice about any harassment (e.g. sexual or racial) which may take place outwith
the University.

Complaints Procedure
If problems persist or you are dissatisfied with attempts to address them there is a formal
complaints procedure which may be followed once you have sought to resolve the matter
informally. Details may be found on
group/complaint-handling-procedure and through Edinburgh University Students’
Association whom you would be well advised to consult at an early stage

Student Conduct

The Code of Student Conduct sets out expectations for student behaviour and the
procedures the University uses to resolve matters when students' behaviour is

The Support for Study policy is a supportive way of assisting the small number of students
whose behaviour gives cause for concern. It offers an alternative to disciplinary action
when a student’s behaviour may be affected by health conditions or disabilities.

Academic Misconduct and Plagiarism
Academic Misconduct

This includes plagiarism, collusion, falsification, deceit, cheating and personation. The
University takes all reported incidences of academic misconduct seriously and seeks to
ensure that they are dealt with efficiently and appropriately.


Plagiarism is the act of copying or including in one’s own work, without adequate
acknowledgement, intentionally or unintentionally, the work of another, for one’s own
benefit. Plagiarism is a serious disciplinary offence and even unintentional plagiarism can
be a disciplinary matter. Plagiarism, at whatever stage of a student’s course, whether
discovered before or after graduation, will be investigated and dealt with.
Students must ensure that any work they submit for assessment is their own. Where their
work includes quotations, theories, ideas, data or any other materials which are the work
of another person or persons, they should ensure that they have taken all reasonable steps
to acknowledge the source. Students should ensure that they are familiar with the
referencing requirements of their programme of study.

General Contacts and Websites
Name Telephone No / Email Website
Accommodation Services 0131 667 1971
Advice Place 0131 650 9225
Arcadia Nursery 0131 650 7007
ECA Postgraduate Office 0131 651 5736 ECA Postgraduate Office
(General Enquiries)

Chaplaincy 0131 650 2595
Counselling Service 0131 650 4170
Disability Office 0131 650 6828
Edinburgh University 0131 650 2656
Student’s Association

Edinburgh Global 0131 650 4296
Information Services 0131 651 5151

Library (ECA) 0131 651 5700

Library (Main) 0131 650 3409 services/library-museum-gallery/using-
Scholarships and Student 0131 651 4070
Funding Services
Student Administration 0131 650 2845 administration
Student Fees 0131 650 2230 funding/tuition-fees/postgraduate
University Health Centre 0131 650 2777
University Sports Centre 0131 650 2585

University of Edinburgh website:

Edinburgh College of Art website:

Section E: Additional School/Subject Area Specific

Reid School of Music – Useful Contacts

Head of the Reid School of Music

Dr Elaine Kelly
Alison House
0131 650 2420

Reid School of Music PG Research Director PGR Programme Secretary - Music

Prof Raymond MacDonald Sophie Ramette
Alison House Evolution House (Level 3)
0131 650 2424 0131 651 5739

Audio Studio Manager Concerts Secretary

Roderick Buchanan-Dunlop Moira Landels
Alison House Alison House
0131 651 4320 0131 651 4336

The full staff list for the Reid School of Music can be found on the ECA website:

General information about the Reid School of Music can be found on the ECA website:

Research Methods Training for PGR Students in the Reid School of Music
(Additional information relating to Research Methods Training)

The Reid School of Music offers one research methods course designed for first year
postgraduate students:

Research Methods A MUSI11015 (Semester 1): This course will introduce students to a
range of methodologies used in musical research, particularly those used in archival
research. A variety of resources will be used, such as the University Library, the National
Library of Scotland and the National Archive of Scotland.

MScR and PhD students are welcome to enroll on this course and may also take a range
of skills training courses run by the Institute for Academic Development. Further

research methods courses in ECA and CAHSS may also be helpful to you, depending on
your background and field of study. Please speak to your supervisor for advice on the
most appropriate course.

Music Research Seminars

(Additional information relating to Research Seminars)

The Music Research Seminars take place on Thursdays at 5.15pm in the Reid School of
Music. Topics are wide-ranging, presented by invited external and internal speakers at all
career stages. Talks last about 45 minutes, followed by questions and discussion at an
informal drinks reception. Research students are encouraged to attend these seminars and
participate in the discussions. Details of the academic session 2018/19 seminar series are
posted at:

The Reid School of Music also hosts or co-hosts several other research seminars as well.
Your supervisor may advise you to attend some of these seminar series, full details of can
be found at
seminars and the individual links to follow:

• The Music Informatics, Cognition and Acoustics (MusICA) Seminar Series is hosted
by Reid School of Music with the School of Informatics. More information including
archive of past seminars can be found here:
• The Reid School of Music’s Institute for Music in Human and Social Development
advertises research seminar events throughout the year which promote the
scientific understanding and practical application of music as a therapeutic,
educational, artistic and social. More information can be found here:
• The weekly Popular Music Seminars (Wednesdays from 3:15pm) are an opportunity
to discuss a broad, interdisciplinary array of topics drawn from popular music
studies, jazz studies, performance practice, organology, recording and playback
technology, film music, and ethnomusicology.
• The Composition Research Seminars provide an opportunity for anyone involved in
or interested in creative work in music to meet and discuss a wide range of issues,
listen to music by seminar participants and other recent works, and hear occasional
guest speakers.

Research students are warmly encouraged to organise their own reading or study groups.

The University hosts many concerts, including a series of free weekly events at lunchtimes.
Both Composition and Creative Practice PhD students should attend these. Details of
concerts at the University can be found at:

Reid School of Music MPhil/PhD Annual Review
(Additional information relating to Annual Review)

In addition to the online annual self-reflection review form which is completed during
month 9 of registration, students will be asked to submit additional documentation for
their annual review and will be required to attend a formal review meeting and, in some
cases, give a presentation.

The submission of additional documentation and review meeting (and presentation if

required) will take place in month 10 of registration. All reviews must be fully completed
(including repeat review if required) and supervisors reports submitted by the end of
month 12 of registration ie before moving into month 1 of the next year of study.

Submission of report and work samples

Students will be prompted automatically to complete a structured online self-reflection

report via EUCLID at the start of month 9 of registration each year. This should be
completed and submitted online by the end of month 9 of registration. For your
information, an example self-reflection report form can be viewed at .

Students should also submit a written report / work sample during month 9 of
registration. The submission should be a minimum of 5,000 words or for practice-based
degrees a minimum of 2,500 words plus portfolio. The required content should be advised
and agreed with Supervisors. Normally, the submission should be a literature review,
chapter/section of the final thesis or an equivalent for a practice based PhD.
The written report / work sample can be uploaded to the online system when completing
the annual self-reflection review form or submitted by email to the ECA Postgraduate
Office ( by the required deadline. Please note all uploaded
submissions should be PDF, with links to audio or other files.

Review meeting

The submission is assessed by a review panel which will consist of your full supervisory
team and an independent reviewer/assessor. The PG Research Director will normally be
the independent reviewer/assessor for all first year review meetings (an alternative will be
appointed if the PG Research Director is on the supervisory team) and may attend meetings
in subsequent years where appropriate.

Students will be informed of the agreed date, time and venue for their review meeting asap
in advance. The first annual review will be arranged by the PG Research Director and the
ECA Postgraduate Office. Subsequent year annual reviews will be initiated and scheduled
by Supervisors (as per normal supervision meeting arrangements), including invitation to
independent reviewer/assessor.

(Please note: dates will vary for students who did not commence their studies at the start
of session/semester 1 and those who have had interruptions during the year.)

The review meeting is an official assessment as you reach the end of each year of study.
Taking into consideration the submitted report, the meeting has three specific aims:
1. To form the basis of the decision to confirm degree registration.
2. To provide a record of the student’s achievements to date.
3. To make a formal record of the area of study defined for the doctoral research

The student will be interviewed by the panel. The interview will address the progress of the
student and of his or her research, and will discuss the prospects for a successful outcome.
University regulations advise supervisors to be frank about any problems and instruct that
they give students their views on the prospect of successful completion. By the end of the
meeting, the panel and student agree a short written report that details the defined area of
study, mentions potential difficulties (in order to mitigate them), and sets out the next
steps for the research project. As part of the review process, students are also invited to
speak freely to the PG Research Director about supervision arrangements without
supervisors present.

Following a successful meeting, the panel make a recommendation to confirm progression.

In the case of unsatisfactory progress a repeat review may be recommended. Alternatively
– or in the case of continued unsatisfactory progress after a repeat review – the panel may
recommend registration on a different degree, or they may recommend discontinuation of
study. Regular supervision will of course continue for the remainder of the prescribed
period of study. Thereafter students continue to have access to their supervisor(s) until
they submit.

Preparation for Review Meeting

The review meeting usually takes the format of a formal supervision meeting. While it is an
assessment, please remember that everyone in the room is on your side and is concerned
with the best interests of you and your research project.

The section ‘In the interview itself’ on this page may be helpful:

As with any similar review meeting (such as your eventual PhD viva), you need to be ready
to talk about the work you have submitted. It’s a good idea to prepare a short verbal
summary of your PhD project aims, and where you think you're at with them – something
you can talk through in under five minutes.

Research, Submission and Examination

(Additional information relating to Thesis Submission and Assessment)

As supervised research degrees, the PhD and MPhil are appropriate for those undertaking
original historical, editorial, organological or theoretical studies. Candidates must submit

the results of their work as a thesis. For the PhD this should not exceed 100,000 words; for
MPhil 50,000. If, exceptionally, an extension to the word-limit is required for adequate
treatment of the thesis topic, permission must be sought from the CAHSS PGS Committee.
Students may also submit an edition of a work or works, as part of their thesis; in this case
a shorter word-limit may be appropriate.

Prompt submission of a thesis or portfolio of compositions is seen as a necessary part of

work for both MPhil and PhD. Apart from exceptional cases, for full-time students the main
body of the research work or composition should be completed within two years for the
former, and three years for the latter, degree. Ideally, writing up and submission should
also be done within that time. However, it is recognised that this is not always possible for
a variety of reasons, although it should remain the target of student and supervisor alike.


For the award of both MPhil and PhD degrees, the requirement is submission of a portfolio
of original compositions. In the case of the MPhil the portfolio should normally include one
work suitable to form the major item in a concert programme (e.g. symphony or concerto).
In the case of the PhD the portfolio should normally include one major work, the
performance of which would occupy an entire evening (e.g. an opera). No additional thesis
or commentary is required from the candidate submitting as a composer. Scores should be
reproduced as for performance, i.e. double-sided.

Reid School of Music Study Accommodation

(Additional information relating to Study Accommodation)

Study Space and Lockers

Study space is co-ordinated by the ECA Postgraduate Office. ECA provides study space
specifically for MPhil and PhD students at Evolution House. A limited number of designated
shared-office study spaces are available at Alison House for full-time Music PhD students in
their first three years of study only, prioritized for second and third year students.

Students should vacate their desk space upon reaching their fourth year of study. You may
be asked to share a desk if there is a shortage of space. These facilities are not available to
part-time students.

First-year PhD students are invited to occupy and personalize desks in the postgraduate
area at the rear of the Microlab on the first floor of Alison House. The area is not secure,
but lockers in this area are available to all matriculated PhD students who have not been
allocated a shared office space. These are situated in the postgraduate study area at the
rear of the Microlab on the 1st floor of Alison House. Lockers keys are available from the
ECA Postgraduate Office. A £10 deposit is required when collecting the key.

If you wish to apply for designated study space at Alison House please inform the ECA
Postgraduate Office and they will advise what desk space is available. If allocated a desk, a
£10 deposit is required when collecting the key from Caroline Charlton in the Music office.

Common Room

There is a student common room on the first floor of Alison House for use by all students.
This room is often booked for tutorials, lectures and seminars. No room bookings are made
between 1pm and 2pm in order to make the room available to students at lunchtime.

Notice Board

There is a designated postgraduate notice board on the 1st floor at the rear of the Microlab
at Alison House. General notices and notices of prizes, scholarships and competitions are
displayed on the ground floor.

Music Study Facilities

ECA has a wide range of studios and workshop spaces, libraries and collections, places to
socialise, perform and show work; all within walking distance of world-class museums,
music venues and galleries. Our facilities range from the historic, to contemporary,
specialist spaces for making work at all scales, in and across all media.

An overview on some of these resources is listed below with full information available at
this link .

• The Reid Music Library, situated in the Main Library, is an exceptionally fine general
music library containing many rarities and valuable first editions. There are also
important collections in the National Library of Scotland. Archives of material relating to
Scots culture, including all types of traditional Scottish music, are housed in the research
centre of Celtic and Scottish Studies in the School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures,
which also houses the John Levy Archive of mainly religious and court music from South
Asia and the Far East. The Library website provides more information and explains more
about Library services and collections:

The Edinburgh University Collection of Historic Musical Instruments is housed in two


• St Cecilia's Hall Museum of Instruments - The St Cecilia's Hall Museum of Instruments

has one of the most important collections of its kind, providing unparalleled
opportunities for teaching, research and performance.

• Reid Concert Hall Museum of Instruments - The Reid Concert Hall Museum of
Instruments houses a very extensive collection of wind, bowed string and percussion
instruments in support of teaching and research.

Further information on the collections can be found at the following link:

The University has two Concert Halls used by the Reid School of Music:

• St Cecilia's Hall – St Cecilia's Hall is the oldest purpose-built concert hall in Scotland, and
the second oldest in use in the British Isles, and is used by the Reid School of Music for
teaching, research, concerts, and informal functions.

• The Reid Concert Hall – The Reid Concert Hall was built by the University as its `Music
Classroom' in 1859. Now it is the main University Concert Hall where it is used for
teaching and research by Music.

• Electroacoustic Music Studios - The Reid School of Music has excellent resources for
sound recording and digital music production.

Enquiries concerning the studios should be made by e-mail to the Studio Manager at . Please note, the Studio Manager is not available for
studio/equipment-related enquiries Mon-Fri, 11am-1pm.

• Practice Facilities - Practice Studios with pianos are available to all students in the Reid
School of Music requiring facilities for instrumental/vocal practice. All students MUST
use a permit in order to make use of the practice studios. This permit is available from
Caroline Charlton in the Reid School of Music (Ground floor, Alison House).

• Instrument Rooms - There are two Instrument Rooms available for storing musical
instruments; one in the basement of Alison House, the other in the basement of the
Reid Concert Hall. Although both rooms are always locked (and, in the case of the Reid
Concert Hall, alarmed outside of opening hours), users must be aware that the
University will not take responsibility for the damage or loss of any property left at the
user’s risk. Please check any property left in these rooms regularly.

• Items On Sale In the Reid School of Music Office - The Reid School of Music Office sells
the following materials at a reasonable cost: Manuscript Paper (12, 18 and 24 stave), Log
Books, DVDs, DAT and DTRS tapes, Recordable and Re-Writable CDs.

• Scottish Studies Archives - Archives of material relating to Scots culture, including all
types of traditional Scottish music, are housed in the research centre of the School of

Scottish Studies, which also houses the John Levy Archive of mainly religious and court
music from South Asia and the Far East.

Music Scholarships
(Additional information relating to Section 10.6 Other sources of funding)

The Reid School of Music has a number of scholarships specifically for PG Music students.
These include: Thomas Laing Reilly Scholarships in Music, Helen Doig Bursary, J S Anderson
Organ Prize, Michael Tilmouth Research Scholarship, Gwen Clutterbuck Scholarship.
Information on these and other scholarships can be found at The value of some awards depends on the
endowment income; the figures given are approximate and may change annually.

uth S

St Andrew


t An


eet ce
e Str rloo
g Wate

ces Str

1 ECA Mainreet 5 Minto House 9 Reid
es St Building RSA
Waverley Concert Hall
Prin Gallery & Maltings

2 North East Studio 10 Old College/Registry

Building The 6
National Adam House

11 University
Gallery et Stre of Edinburgh Jeffrey St
3 Hunter Building 7 Alison House Mark

Main Library

Reid School of Music

4 Evolution House 12 McEwan
Cockb urn St Hall Cano
8 Forrest Hill

St M
’s S
St Giles’

e t Cathedral


Castle The National Cow
Esplanade et Library of

h Br
Castle a

ge IV


erra Cow
ne T 6 ry S

Joh nfirma
et I
et 5 Stre

rk ers
ma amb

ss Ch St
Gra o nd

King’s Stables Rd 10 mm


Greyfriars National Museum
Kirk of Scotland Hall

t Por
Wes Festeatre

ECA Lauriston Th





Court 2

rrest Road

1 olso



8 Nic

Pede s





Keir St

George Place Mar Squ


3 viot


Heriot’s School Te Bristo



12 Square

Central Mosque


Lauriston Place St

9 n
Middle M


ton Stree N
Crich W

eadow Wa



George Square



s Str




h Str

11 Bucc

ow La

The Meadows