Sie sind auf Seite 1von 5

JUAN F.

NAKPIL

NATIONAL ARTIST FOR ARCHITECTURE (1973)

May 26, 1899 – May 7, 1986

Juan F. Nakpil, architect, teacher and civic leader, is a pioneer and innovator in Philippine architecture.
In essence, Nakpil’s greatest contribution is his belief that there is such a thing as Philippine Architecture,
espousing architecture reflective of Philippine traditions and culture. It is also largely due to his zealous
representation and efforts that private Filipino architects and engineers, by law, are now able to
participate in the design and execution of government projects. He has integrated strength, function,
and beauty in the buildings that are the country’s heritage today. He designed the 1937 International
Eucharistic Congress altar and rebuilt and enlarged the Quiapo Church in 1930 adding a dome and a
second belfry to the original design.

The Quiapo Church

Officially known as the Minor Basilica of the


Black Nazarene, the original Quiapo Church
burned down in the late 1920s.

Quezon Institute

This beautiful building is an Art Deco


masterpiece set in the middle of a sprawling,
6.5-hectare property along E. Rodriguez Sr.
Avenue. Built in 1938 for the Philippines Anti-
Tuberculosis Society, this amazing example of
Streamlined Moderne has delicate bridges
linking several pavilions and various Art Deco
details on the interior and exterior.

The Capitol Theater

This famous theater in downtown Escolta is


another of Nakpil’s Art Deco gems done in an
exaggerated, geometric style.

The bas-relief figures of Filipina muses on the


façade are by Italian sculptor Francesco Riccardo
Monti. It has since been disused as a theater.

PABLO S. ANTONIO

NATIONAL ARTIST FOR ARCHITECTURE (1976)

Born at the turn of the century, National Artist for


Architecture Pablo Sebero Antonio pioneered
modern Philippine architecture. His basic design is grounded on simplicity, no clutter. The lines are clean
and smooth, and where there are curves, these are made integral to the structure. Pablo Jr. points out,
“For our father, every line must have a meaning, a purpose. For him, function comes first before
elegance or form“. The other thing that characterizes an Antonio structure is the maximum use of
natural light and cross ventilation. Antonio believes that buildings “should be planned with austerity in
mind and its stability forever as the aim of true architecture, that buildings must be progressive, simple
in design but dignified, true to a purpose without resorting to an applied set of aesthetics and should
eternally recreate truth”.

Antonio’s major works include the following: Far Eastern University Administration and Science buildings;
Manila Polo Club; Ideal Theater;Lyric Theater; Galaxy Theater; Capitan Luis Gonzaga Building; Boulevard-
Alhambra (now Bel-Air) apartments; Ramon Roces Publications Building (now Guzman Institute of
Electronics).

Far Eastern University Administration and


Science buildings

Main Lounge, The Manila Polo Club

Built on top of a small hill, the original Manila


Polo Club building was a 1950s Art Deco two-
storey structure of wood and adobe topped
with a pitch roof. At present, the main lounge
has been one of the top choices as venue for
weddings and other important gatherings. It's
well-known for its impressive interiors and
high ceiling.

White Cross

Opened in 1937, White Cross Children’s


Home was originally meant to take care of
the children of Tuberculosis patients. Now, it
has become a safe haven for children of poor
unwed mothers, of physically incapacitated
parents, of prisoners, and of victims of rape or
incest.

The building—with its clean lines—is designed


literally like a cross. It is punctuated by a bas-relief
designed by Italian sculptor Francesco Monti
featuring children at play.

LEANDRO V. LOCSIN

NATIONAL ARTIST FOR ARCHITECTURE (1990)

August 15, 1928 – November 15, 1994

Leandro V. Locsin reshaped the urban landscape with a distinctive architecture reflective of Philippine
Art and Culture. He believes that the true Philippine Architecture is “the product of two great streams of
culture, the oriental and the occidental… to produce a new object of profound harmony.” It is this
synthesis that underlies all his works, with his achievements in concrete reflecting his mastery of space
and scale. Every Locsin Building is an original, and identifiable as a Locsin with themes of floating volume,
the duality of light and heavy, buoyant and massive running in his major works. From 1955 to 1994,
Locsin has produced 75 residences and 88 buildings, including 11 churches and chapels, 23 public
buildings, 48 commercial buildings, six major hotels, and an airport terminal building.

Locsin’s largest single work is the Istana Nurul Iman, the palace of the Sultan of Brunei, which has a floor
area of 2.2 million square feet. The CCP Complex itself is a virtual Locsin Complex with all five buildings
designed by him — the Cultural Center of the Philippines, Folk Arts Theater, Philippine International
Convention Center, Philcite and The Westin Hotel (now Sofitel Philippine Plaza).

The Philippine International Convention


Center (Filipino: Sentrong Pangkumbensyong
Pandaigdig ng Pilipinas, or PICC) is a convention
center located in the Cultural Center of the
Philippines Complex in Pasay, Metro
Manila, Philippines. The facility has been the
host of numerous local and foreign conventions,
meetings, fairs, and social events.

The Tanghalang Francisco


Balagtas (English: Francisco Balagtas
Theater), formerly known as the Folk Arts
Theater, is a theater located in the Cultural
Center of the Philippines Complex in Manila,
Philippines. It is a
covered proscenium amphitheater owned
by the Cultural Center of the
Philippines that was a popular venue for
concerts during the 1980s and 1990s

The Cultural Center of the


Philippines (Filipino: Sentrong Pangkultura ng
Pilipinas, or CCP) is a government owned and
controlled corporation established to preserve,
develop and promote arts and culture in
the Philippines.[1][2] The CCP was established
through Executive Order No. 30 s. 1966
by President Ferdinand Marcos.

JOSÉ MARÍA V. ZARAGOZA

NATIONAL ARTIST FOR ARCHITECTURE (2014)

1912-1994
José María V. Zaragoza’s place in Philippine architecture history is defined by a significant body of
modern edifices that address spiritual and secular requirements. Zaragoza’s name is synonymous to
modern ecclesiastical architecture. Notwithstanding his affinity to liturgical structures, he greatly
excelled in secular works: 36 office buildings, 4 hotels, 2, hospitals, 5 low-cost and middle-income
housing projects; and more than 270 residences – all demonstrating his typological versatility and his
mastery of modernist architectural vocabulary.

His prolificacy in designing religious edifices was reflected in his body of work that was predominated by
about 45 churches and religious centers, including the Santo Domingo Church, Our Lady of Rosary in Tala,
Don Bosco Church, the Convent of the Pink Sisters, the San Beda Convent, Villa San Miguel, Pius XII
Center, the Union Church, and the controversial restoration of the Quiapo Church, among others.

The Santo Domingo Church, also known as National


Shrine of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary of La Naval de
Manila (Spanish: Santuario Nacional de Nuestra Señora
del Santísimo Rosario de La Naval de
Manila; Filipino: Pambansang Dambana ng Mahál na
Birhen ng Santísimo Rosario ng La Naval ng Maynila), is
the largest church in Metro Manila and one of the biggest
churches in Asia.[citation needed] It is dedicated to Mary, mother
of Jesus under her title of Our Lady of La Naval de Manila.

This is the sixth church complex that has served as


the motherhouse or headquarters of the Dominican
Order of the Philippines.[citation needed] The Dominicans were
one of the "pioneering missionaries" of the Philippines.

The Casino Español de Manila was a club


established in 1893 by Spaniards living in
the Philippines as their exclusive venue for
recreational and social activities. It later opened its
doors to Filipino members to foster Spanish-Filipino
ties in the country

Meralco Building (Pasig Cty)

.FRANCISCO T. MANOSA

NATIONAL ARTIST FOR ARCHITECTURE (2018)

February 12, 1931


Born in Manila on 12 February 1931 to Manuel Mañosa, Sr., a Harvard-educated Sanitary Engineer who
was instrumental in designing Manila’s waterworks system

With two of his brothers, Jose and Manuel, both B.S. Architecture graduates from the same school, they
founded the architectural firm, Mañosa Brothers in 1954.

In 1976, Francisco established his own firm, Francisco Mañosa & Partners. Here, he had more freedom
to put into realization his vision of Philippine Architecture inspired by the bahay kubo and the bahay na
bato, When asked what makes architecture truly Filipino, he once answered: “Filipino values, Philippine
climate, and the use of indigenous materials.”

Designed by the Mañosa brothers (Manuel,


Francisco, and Jose), the San Miguel Corporation
Building in Ortigas serves as the head office of
one of the largest corporations in the Philippines.
The building’s unique design is inspired by the
Banaue rice terraces. Landscaping is done by the
National Artist for Architecture in 2006,
Ildefonso Santos, who is considered the father of
Philippine landscape architecture. Pearl Farm Beach Resort

Located in Samal island of Davao City, the Pearl


Farm Beach Resort is built on what was once a
farm for culturing pearls. A handiwork of
Francisco Mañosa who was a strong advocate
of indigenous architecture, the resort’s design
was adapted from the traditional stilt houses
built along the coastline. In 2009, Mañosa
received the National Artist award for
architecture.

Coconut Palace (Tahanang Pilipino), Manila

The Coconut Palace, also known as Tahanang


Pilipino(lit. Filipino Home), is a government
building located in the Cultural Center of the
Philippines Complex, in Manila, Philippines. It
was the official residence and the principal
workplace of the Vice President of the
Philippines during the term of Jejomar Binay.