Sie sind auf Seite 1von 13

STUDIES IN PHILIPPINE CHURCH HISTORY©1969.   Edited by Gerald H.

 Anderson

“An Engineer's Dream” – 
John Staunton and the Mission
of St. Mary the Virgin, Sagada

WILLIAM HENRY SCOTT

When the newly converted peoples of the Mountain Province speak of a 
Christian community, they mean one in which the younger generation is 
baptized, public education is available, and there are plenty of houses with 
galvanized­iron roofing. The adjective they most frequently apply to such a 
community is “progressive.” By these standards, the Igorot municipality of 
Sagada in western Bontoc Sub­Province qualifies as a veritable model.

Here, more than half a population only three generations removed from 
raw head­taking paganism are baptized and support their own rector in 
their own parish church. A people who in igoo could boast only three men 
able to write their names now enjoy two of the best primary schools in the 
province and a high school that recently ranked ninth in the whle nation, 
and send more than 500 of their children hundreds of miles away to college 
every year. Old men who as youths carried Sagada's first G.I. sheets up 
from the lowlands can now look out over acres of tin roofs on a hospital, 
church,   chapels,   public   buildings,   stores,   and   hundreds   of   private 
dwellings, not lacking even a scattered few with electricity, running water, 
and flush toilets. To visitors from the lowlands the town appears fit for a 
mountaintop idyll with neat, clean streets and fresh, pine­clad environs, 
and those with a background of Rousseau are tempted to fancies of a pure 
and primal Christianity superimposed on a noble and innocent savagery.

It might seem an unwarranted fondness to name any one man as the 
author of changes so profound, and yet in Sagada's case the pattern was set 
and the fabric constructed through the single willed if not single­handed 
efforts of one pioneer missionary. It was in recognition of this fact that the 
sobriquet, “an engineer's dream,” was first applied to this Episcopal church 
mission   by  he  Rev.   Vincent   V.   H.   Gowen   in   his   1939  Philippine  
Kaleidoscope,  in  which   he   wrote   of   the   man   and   the   mission   in   the 

1
STUDIES IN PHILIPPINE CHURCH HISTORY©1969.   Edited by Gerald H. Anderson

following terms :

The Rev. John Armitage Staunton, Jr., was not only a priest; he was 
an   engineer.1  He   planned   with   the   boldness   of   an   engineer   .   .   .   . 
Without exaggeration the Mission of St. Mary the Virgin can be said to 
have been built to a blue­print. It was not, as is usually the case, the 
product of casual, even accidental, growth. Fr. Staunton was carrying 
it in his mind when he and Mrs. Staunton first settled in the squalor of 
a goat shed twelve feet square and in these cramped quarters taught 
school, treated the sick, offered divine worship, and baptized more than 
a   hundred   converts.   Such  were   Sagada's   simple   beginnings,   but   the 
blue­print   projected   a   great   industrial   mission   occupying   a   whole 
countryside and beginning with the external direction of a primitive 
people, all that was believed possible at first, and proceeding to the 
internal direction of their children who, it was hoped, would be better 
fitted by education to receive it.2

That was in April 1905, and before the year was out the old goat shed 
was replaced by a grass­thatched house of reeds only slightly less humble, 
which the Stauntons shared for the next six years with twelve Filipino boys 
and girls as wards. Mrs. Staunton was a trained nurse who went around 
the town making house calls, and quickly set a pattern of compassion that 
has   become   legendary   by   venturing   out   at   night   in   tropical   storms   on 
horseback. Father Staunton conducted two services daily, gave instruction 
in   hymn   singing   and   devotional   exercises  to  almost  40  Christians   and 
pagans, and made trips to neighboring villages to invite people to Christian 
worship in the municipal center. Having established his ministry, he then 
turned his attention to that engineer's dream – the vision of a progressive 
community   growing   up   around   the   mission   church   like   a   pioneer 
settlement in colonial America, until it included sturdy pine buildings with 
limestone foundations to house shops, stores, and schools. The initial stage 
would   be   the   erection   of   an   industrial   plant   for   the   double   purpose   of 
providing steady employment and incentive for natives to learn new trades 
and   raise   their   living   standards,   and   of   making   the   mission   itself 
eventually self­supporting. The Christian faith would meanwhile be firmly 
established on Anglo­Catholic lines by surrounding the Sacraments with 
awe­inspiring beauty and ceremony, and by bringing their benefits as soon 
as possible to the people without the delay of long instruction in complex 
Western theology and Elizabethan English.

2
STUDIES IN PHILIPPINE CHURCH HISTORY©1969.   Edited by Gerald H. Anderson

The local living standards which Father Staunton hoped to raise were 
simple   in   the   extreme.   The   people   of   Sagada   subsisted   off   rice   from 
irrigated   terraces   carved   out   of   precipitous   slopes,   or  on  sweet   potatoes 
grown   by   a   farming   technique   which   completely   denuded   the 
mountainsides of foliage. Few vegetables were known; meat was enjoyed in 
the form of chickens and pigs at the time  of  religious sacrifices; and diet 
was   varied   seasonally   by   tiny   fish   and   shellfish,   snails,   insects, 
mushrooms, berries, fruit, and birds, with hunters occasionally taking a 
deer or wild boar. Clothing consisted of G­strings and wraparound skirts of 
bark­cloth or cotton, and thin blankets handloomed of thread carried  up 
from the lowlands provided warmth in temperatures that dropped to below 
50° at night. Almost all work was accomplished with a kind of large jungle­
knife or machete (which had only recently served also as a weapon), and 
some iron­shod sticks as  agricultural tools. Beyond this, a few clay pots, 
wooden bowls and utensils, bamboo containers, and woven baskets made up 
a   household   inventory   so   restricted   a   scissors   showed   up   as   a   rather 
sophisticated instrument. Low windowless houses with tall thatched roofs 
were closed up tight against the cold nights, and smoke rose up to holes 
under the ridgepole, providing warmth and dryness, preventing the mildew 
of   grain   stored   in   the   attic,   imparting   an   ebon   patina   to   all   household 
objects, and causing the eyes of the old folks to be rheumy and red­rimmed.

Father   Staunton's   attack   on   this   primitive   economy   began   with   the 


importation of American, Chinese, Japanese, and Filipino workmen from 
Manila,   and   the   construction   of   a   water­powered   sawmill   which   was   in 
operation in 1907, selling lumber to the government in Bontoc in 1908, and 
self­supporting and employing 40 natives by 1912. An American physician 
arrived with his family in 1907, and that same year the pioneer missionary 
was   operating   a   planer,   a   shingle   mill,   limekiln,   and   charcoal   pits   in 
addition to the  sawmill  itself, had  opened  a stone quarry,  constructed a 
very   respectable   church,   and   was   directing   such   diverse   activities   as 
logging, carpentering, blacksmithing, repair work, blasting, excavation, and 
stonecutting. In 1909 he received his first ministerial assistance, and in the 
same year an American schoolteacher arrived. By August the church, bell 
tower, office building, shop, and dispensary were shingled, and extensive 
sites   had   been  leveled   for  a   hospital   and   a  school.  When  the  Stauntons 
finally moved into a permanent American­style house in 1912, the policy of 

3
STUDIES IN PHILIPPINE CHURCH HISTORY©1969.   Edited by Gerald H. Anderson

importing   lowland   workers   to   train   the   local   people   had   borne   fruit:   14 
native stonemasons were employed under a Japanese foreman, an  Igorot 
boy  was   skillfully   occupied   in   ful]time   manufacture   and   care   of   stone 
chisels, and a Chandler & Price job press was being operated by one of the 
boys  the Stauntons  had  originally taken into their home.  The  next  year 
Father Staunton's enterprises had become so vast that the annual report of 
the   Mission   of   St.   Mary   the   Virgin   covered   21   printed   pages   in   the 
Convocation Journal and was written by eight different people.

By 1915, just ten years after the Stauntons first settled in Sagada, the 
mission was already known as one of the outstanding achievements of the 
American occupation of the Philippine Islands. Visitors intrepid enough to 
reach the savage heights of the Cordillera Central on horseback could stand 
on   the   Stauntons'   stone   verandah   and   look   down   in   dumbfounded 
amazement   at   80   acres   of   activities   connected   by  20   miles   of   telephone 
wire. Four stone quarries were in operation and two limekilns; long lines of 
Igorots carried lumber in from the sawmill, and a planing mill reduced it to 
timber,   boards,   and   shingles;   electric­lighted   gasoline­powered   machine 
and carpenter shops turned out tools and furnishings. Sweet spring water 
was piped into the compound under sufficient pressure to make coiled fire 
hoses practical in many of the zo buildings which housed the shops, stores, 
supplies,   and   considerable   herd   of   cows,   water­buffalo,   and   horses. 
Vegetables   were   grown   by   schoolboys   and   professional   gardeners;   the 
mission employed a shoemaker, tailor, and laundress; and schoolgirls were 
already producing salable lace and handwoven cloth. Photographs of the 
day (developed and printed locally) show American lady missionaries with 
pompadours   pouring   tea   at   wicker   tables   in   rose­trellised   gardens,   and 
Father   Staunton   himself   dictated   letters   to   a   secretary   on   stationary 
printed on his own press in an office with three telephones on his desk. 
Fifty   apprentices   were   under   industrial   training   and   150   others   on   the 
payroll; 175 school children were receiving instruction, and the beautiful 
frame church where daily services  were conducted listed  2,000  baptisms 
and 60o communicants, all of whom were privileged to make purchases in 
the Igorot Exchange whose $10,000 worth of stock had been hauled in on 
bull carts over a trail surveyed by the priest­in­charge himself.

But the most thrilling aspect of the view from the Stauntons' front porch 
was the promise of things to come. Already discernible were the massive 

4
STUDIES IN PHILIPPINE CHURCH HISTORY©1969.   Edited by Gerald H. Anderson

foundations of the great stone church which was to be the engineer­priest's 
crowning   achievement   nine   years   in   the   building­whose   altar   was   to 
become the well­spring of a new way of life, whose cross was to rise like a 
beacon above the heads of pagans seeking  a better goal, and whose  tower 
clock was to symbolize the changes that would accompany the process. It 
was this cathedral­like Christian temple towering above the grass roofs of 
Sagada which would refocus the attention of the younger generation from 
the   sacred   trees   that   were   the   center  of   their   ancestors'   worship,   and 
replace   the   old   seasonal,   pig­sacrificing   vengeance­ceremonies   in   their 
affections with the Feast of the Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary. This 
patronal fiesta on December 8 quickly became the big event of the year for 
the new Sagada.

In preparation for the event, a lowlander was hired a month or, two in 
advance   to   make   the   plans,   to   rehearse   the   amateur   dramatists   in   the 
moro­moro or zarzuela to be presented, and to contribute such entertaining 
stunts himself as sending aloft a lighted hot­air balloon at night. Sentinels 
were stationed down the trail to give warning of the bishop's approach, and 
he,   vested   in   cope   and   mitre,   would   be   met   by   a   throng   of   rejoicing 
Christians, and escorted into the compound in procession to the sound of 
pealing   bells   and   a   lusty   hand­cranked   siren   in   the   church   tower.   First 
Vespers  on  December  7  was  followed   by a  program  in  the  social  hall  in 
which   one   of   the   American   missionaries   played   the   reed   organ   or 
lowlanders played mandolins while the little Igorot school children joined in 
the  Virginia  Reel  and  other dances  that went on  into the middle of the 
night. Ilocano­style refreshments were served, and the genteel culture  to 
which  ­the   new   society   aspired   was   indicated   by   programs   printed   in 
English   and   Spanish,   and   a   formal  Rigodón   de   Honor  danced   by   the 
lowlanders   present.   Before   the   main   service   of   the   fiesta,   the   Virgin's 
statue was carried around the church in solemn procession, and after the 
festive   Mass,   visiting   Christians   and   athletes   from   villages   with 
outstations began playing softball, basketball, and volleyball, with men of 
the town sometimes coming up to look on and to engage in a tug­of­war. 
Food   was   served   after   the   noon   Angelus,   pealing   of   bells   and   firing   of 
bombas y morteretes; the Second Vespers was followed by another program, 
with still more games following Mass on the 9th, and, finally, a program for 
the  distribution of such  prizes as  pencils, notebooks, handkerchiefs,  and 

5
STUDIES IN PHILIPPINE CHURCH HISTORY©1969.   Edited by Gerald H. Anderson

camisetas.

This annual fiesta, in its rich Catholic ceremonial and church­orientecl 
focus,  its American games, Spanish dances, and Ilocano cooking, and its 
attendance   by  Igorot   children   not   living   under   their   parents'   custody   or 
according   to   their   customs,   rather   nicely   summed   up   Father   Staunton's 
program   for   converting   and   civilizing   Sagada.   As   he  himself  phrased   it, 
“There is no hope for the Christianized savage who does not want to be 
cleaner in body, better clothed, better fed, better housed, better educated, 
more  industrious, and  to push his children upwards  by giving them  the 
advantages   which   were   denied   to   him.”3  The   Igorot   Exchange,   with   its 
eyeglasses,   Colgate   toothpaste,   and   select   clientele,   helped   “to   inoculate 
him   with   the   germ   of   discontent,   to   establish   in   his   system   cravings, 
desires, and necessities which his savage and heathen life cannot satisfy.” 4 
Part of this program was an educational regimen which kept children in 
school  twelve  months   a   year.   “They   must   stay   in   our   dormitories,”   the 
principal   explained,   “until   living   like   an   Igorot   becomes   for   them   an 
impossibility.”5  It was not inappropriate that the citation of the honorary 
doctor's degree awarded Father Staunton by St. Stephen's College in 1923 
read, “For distinguished service to civilization in the Philippine Islands.”

Life   in   Sagada,   however,   was   not   always   so   placid   as   it   might   have 


appeared before the great fireplace in Father Staunton's book­lined  sala,  
and he and his colleagues had to face many discomforts and not a little 
danger. Seasonal storms could create lakes forty feet deep amidst craggy 
hills, drive through walls to destroy books and foodstuffs, and carry away 
roofs, bridges, communication lines and even whole sections of the sawmill. 
Basic necessities required by the American way of life had to be hauled in 
over two mountain ranges, and supplies of flour and tinned milk, salmon, 
and baked beans were expensive and unavailable when Sagada was cut off 
for   weeks   at   a   time   by   typhoons   or   landslides.   With   neither   a   resident 
physician   nor   medical   laboratory   available,   one   missionary   died   of 
intestinal   parasites   diagnosed   too   late,   leaving   her   fellow   workers   to 
wonder uneasily about their own physical condition. New and enthusiastic 
appointees came out with no more training or knowledge of what to expect 
than   reading   Father   Staunton's   tracts   and   exposure   to   his   personal 
magnetism,   and   natives   of   East   Coast   cities   sometimes   arrived   without 
even   knowing   how   to   sit   a   horse.   Horses   themselves   were   not   always 

6
STUDIES IN PHILIPPINE CHURCH HISTORY©1969.   Edited by Gerald H. Anderson

trustworthy on those dangerous trails Mrs. Staunton used to frequent on 
her errands of mercy; the school principal once hiked in from an outstation 
with a broken jaw and collarbone after her horse had carried her off the 
side of the mountain. Galling frustrations in obtaining men and materials 
added   to   the   tensions   of   a   group   of   dedicated,   strong­willed   Americans 
bound together by social isolation from the community in which they lived, 
and some of Father Staunton's subordinates departed abruptly.

If Father Staunton's ability to raise up a buzzing industrial plant out of 
pristine limestone seemed magical, his ability to raise the necessary funds 
was   no   less   remarkable.   On   his   first   furlough,   his   old   parish   gave   him 
$1,000,   another   church   $2,000,   and   a   lady   in   Philadelphia   wrote   out   a 
check for yet  another $1,000, while alumni  of  his  class  in the Columbia 
School of Mines promised $6,000 for a hospital. In addition to the gifts he 
received personally, a speaking tour in 1916 resulted in more than $21,000 
passing through the mission office as “specials” for Sagada the next year. 
An old mission bookkeeper remembers regular Christmas gifts of $1,000 
and   once   entered   a   single   check   in   the   amount   of   $10,000,   but   Father 
Staunton   also   received   smaller   donations   such   as   $10   from   the   United 
States Shoe Company in Manila and $4.35 from the township of Sabangan 
toward   his   proposed   high   school.   His   ingenuity   left   no   stone   unturned. 
When ordering a “Gammeter Multigraph” he asked for a discount on the 
grounds   that   it   would   be   the   first   of   its   kind   in   the   islands   where,   as 
Postmaster of Sagada, he would gladly demonstrate it to passersby, and 
near   his   desk   he   kept   a   shelfful   of   social   registers   with   the   names   of 
Episcopalians underlined.

The churchmen who made these contributions felt amply rewarded by 
the   joy   of   participating   in   the   great   spiritual   adventure   which   Father 
Staunton's mission was. For years he answered with long letters in his own 
hand, and for more years his press turned out such a stream of postcards, 
pictures,   prayer   cards,   leaflets,   and   pamphlets   that   he   and   his   work 
became   the   best­known   mission   in   the   Episcopal   church.   A   whole 
generation of mission­minded Episcopalians thrilled to Father Staunton's 
colorful   reports   written   on   stationary   with   naked   spear­brandishing 
savages on the letter head, and which often included pictures of little boys 
in G­strings operating modern machinery or a self­addressed form  to be 
filled out and returned with the names of other Americans who might be 

7
STUDIES IN PHILIPPINE CHURCH HISTORY©1969.   Edited by Gerald H. Anderson

interested. Episcopalians traveling in the United States could expect to run 
across fellow churchmen who shared this common involvement in Father 
Staunton's work, and could even see the results of their efforts flashed on 
the   silent   screen   of   a   newsreel   theater   above   the   caption,   “The   most 
wonderful missionary work done by any Christian body anywhere.”6

Yet   Father   Staunton's   magic   as   a   fund­raising   visionary   was   not 


matched by corresponding fiscal acumen, and the dreams from that grand 
blueprint   often   inspired   him   to   juggle   funds   about   as   required   by   the 
existential situation in Sagada in the firm conviction that “there is not a 
shadow of a doubt that there are as many friends and funds for our work 
hidden   away   in   the   American   church   as   we   need.”7  In   1918,   he   built   a 
building for a post­office and when the Government refused to pay the rent 
he   asked,   moved   the   printing   press   into   it   and   charged   the   cost   to   an 
appropriation   earmark   for   a   technical   high   school,   and   from   this   same 
source he withdrew funds to send back to the United States two laymen 
whom he had personally brought out but for whom no salaries could be 
obtained.   An   official   visitor   from   mission   headquarters   in   New   York 
reported   the   following   year,   “I   was   astonished   to   find   that   he   was 
completing   a   hospital   building   with   funds   given   for   the   technical   high 
school on the ground that a part of the hospital would be used, temporarily 
at all events, for the high school and that later he hoped to make an appeal 
for a hospital, reimburse the technical high school funds and then erect a 
separate hospital building.”8

News of America's declaration of war on Germany in  1917  was quickly 


followed in Sagada by a cable from Sears, Roebuck & Company that  $325 
worth of goods ordered would now cost $475, which was only a foretaste of 
the disappointments to come. The expectations of increased giving began to 
fade away in the intensity of America's involvement in her first European 
war,   and   no   new   salaries   were   forthcoming   for   faculty   or   industrial 
workers. Plans for a high school were set aside, a proposed hydroelectric 
plant had to be abandoned, all power equipment was stilled by the high 
cost   of   fuel   oil,   and   Father   Staunton   found   himself   with   two   nurses, 
without   a   doctor   or   a   hospital,   and   an   engineer,   an   electrician,   and   an 
industrial foreman with neither power nor machinery. Ironically, Sagada's 
own progress made the position untenable without increased funds. That 
magnificent   edifice   whose   construction   had   provided   steady   employment 

8
STUDIES IN PHILIPPINE CHURCH HISTORY©1969.   Edited by Gerald H. Anderson

for a decade was consecrated on December 8, 1921, and a small army of 
laborers, stonemasons, carpenters, machine operators, mechanics, carters 
and   printers   could   find   no   new   employer   for   their   skills.   Projects   then 
under development like the combined hospital and high school (which was 
able   to   function   as   neither)   would   aggravate   rather   than   relieve   the 
financial   pressure.   The   decision   by   the   government   to   limit   its   own 
construction   in   Bontoc   deprived   the   sawmill   of   its   last   market,   and 
negotiations to sell the equipment itself came to naught. Attempts to cut 
the prices of merchandise by the operation of a store and establishment of a 
transportation   line   depended   on   the   purchases   of   the   15   Caucasians 
resident   in   Sagada,   which   Father   Staunton   in   desperation   soberly 
recommended as a “vital reason why our staff should not be reduced.”9 The 
final   blow   came   with   the   adoption   of   a   new   church   policy   whereby   all 
mission work would be supported directly by a central office, and no further 
private  appeals   would  be  permitted.  The  policy  was   designed   to redress 
such disproportions as a domestic missionary district's being operated at 
six or eight times the scale of a self­supporting diocese, a condition which 
seemed almost to penalize progress to a diocesan status, but it was also a 
kind   of   fatal   handwriting   on   the   wall   for   such   highly   personalized 
enterprises as Father Staunton's.

The firm conviction that he knew what was best for Sagada which had 
moved Father Staunton to keep accounts like thc chancellor of exchequer of 
some sovereign domain also characterized his relations with his episcopal 
superiors. When Bishop Gouverneur Frank Mosher took oversight for the 
district in 1920, he was startled to find that the Sagada payroll exceeded 
all other diocesan expenses, while the only Anglican house of worship in 
the   metropolitan   center   of   Baguio,   for   instance,   was   in   such   a   state   of 
imminent collapse that its priest considered it too dangerous to house the 
Reserved Sacrament. But his attempts to redeploy the forces canonically at 
his   disposal   soon   took   on   the   aspects   of   a   private   war   with   Father 
Staunton, in which the pioneer missionary, seven years his senior, would 
speak of “my work” and “your work,” and accuse him of snuffing out the life 
of one station to support the work of others that had already demonstrated 
their   lethargy.   Moreover,   Father   Staunton's   devotion   to   Anglo­Catholic 
forms of worship were,  at  sixty, as rigid as ever and less likely to change, 
and   the   fact   that   other   Philippine   stations   did   not   conform   to   Sagada 

9
STUDIES IN PHILIPPINE CHURCH HISTORY©1969.   Edited by Gerald H. Anderson

standards   made   him   challenge   the   bishop's   overall   leadership   of   the 


district. When it finally became obvious that he was not going to be able to 
carry out the grand blueprint of that engineer's dream, the great Christian 
civilizer decided to tender his resignation. 

This   was   not   the   first   time   that   Father   Staunton   had   offered   his 
resignation,   but   the   only   time   it   had   been   accepted,   he   promptly 
reconsidered. Now, in July 1924, he gave notice that he would not return for 
another term of duty, and requested transfer to another station where he 
would not have to witness the eclipse of Sagada's glory, and in September 
unambiguously   stated,   “I   must   ask   to   be   relieved   of   all   that   heavy 
responsibility which I carry as Priest­in­Charge of this group of Missions 
not   later   than   December   31st,   1924.”10  As   reasons,   he   named   lack   of 
financial support from the church in the United States and moral support 
from the bishop in the field, and attempted to dramatize these accusations 
by   a   sober   recommendation   that   the   work   of   the   Episcopal   Church   in 
Sagada be handed over to the Roman Catholics. Bishop Mosher's prompt 
response was equally unambiguous: he accepted the resignation and cabled 
the details to New York.

It is hard to believe that Father Staunton was really prepared to leave 
that   home   whose   beams   and   stones   had   been   hewn   out   of   a   pagan 
wilderness according to his own plans by workmen he himself had baptized 
and trained. He had always spoken of his desire to die among his beloved 
people, and now he began one last struggle to stay among them. Pressure 
was brought to bear on Bishop Mosher both in the United States and in the 
Philippines; telegrams of protest were originated by Igorots in Sagada, a 
furloughing   staff   missionary   frankly   campaigned   among   influential 
churchmen at home, and Father Staunton himself cabled New York that it 
was   rumored   that   Bishop   Mosher   was   going   to   resign.   A   special 
“Committee on Sagada” set up at church headquarters, however, concluded 
that further delay would seriously embarrass the bishop's authority and in 
December notified Father Staunton, “Your resignation and retirement from 
Sagada is regarded by the Department of Missions as an accomplished fact 
and final.”11

For twenty years Father Staunton had run what in the Navy would be 
called   “a   taut   ship,”   and   although   he   considered   himself   a   commander 

10
STUDIES IN PHILIPPINE CHURCH HISTORY©1969.   Edited by Gerald H. Anderson

relieved of his command before making port, to the people of Sagada he will 
always be the Good Captain who successfully set their course out of the 
past and into the present. The readiness with which resistance to his will 
crumbled, the dignity with which he conducted his priesthood and the aura 
of sacred mystery which he imparted to the sanctuary of his church, his 
aloofness from village affairs and failure to lay hands on the Igorots' pigs, 
chickens, or women, all enhanced his godlike reputation in local eyes for 
multiplying   Sagada   prosperity,   and   he   is   remembered   by   pagan   old 
gentlemen   today   as   the   greatest   public   benefactor   since   Biag,   a   deified 
seventeenth­century founding father with a King Midas touch. The present 
governor of the Mountain Province remembers having been held up as a 
child to see the great man, and the suffragan bishop for Northern Luzon 
recalls having crouched in the bushes to look out in awe at his long legs 
striding by as he paced up and down in the moonlight planning bigger and 
better things for Sagada. The good food and clothes and shelter which the 
people of Sagada had been praying for for generations, Father Staunton, 
too, wanted for them, and Christians who as children received candy from 
him at Christmastime or flour when the rice crops failed remember him 
with an admiration and affection which amounts to reverence.

There   is   probably   not   a   Sagadan   over   fifty   alive   today   who   does   not 
believe that Father Staunton loved them as he loved himself because he 
wanted them to have good things. This is no small reputation.

11
STUDIES IN PHILIPPINE CHURCH HISTORY©1969.   Edited by Gerald H. Anderson

NOTES

l  John Armitage Staunton, Jr., was born on April 14, 1864, in Adrian, Michigan, 
where his father, a native New Yorker, was rector of Christ (Episcopal) Church. 
He graduated from the Columbia School of Mines with the B.M.E. degree in 
1887, earned a B.A. degree from Harvard in 1890 and then entered the General 
Theological   Seminary   in   New   York.   Ordained   deacon   and   priest   in   the 
Episcopal church in 1892, he married Eliza M. Wilkie that same year. After six 
years' assisting at the Church of St. Mary the Virgin, New York, he became 
rector of St. Peter's Church in Springfield, Massachusetts, where, in 1901, he 
volunteered for missionary service in the Philippine Islands. There he opened 
the   first   Episcopal   church   in   the  Mountain   Province   (the   Church   of   the 
Resurrection, Baguio ), and then founded the Mission of St. Mary the Virgin 
infagada,   which   he   served   as   priest­in­charge   for   20   years.   Leaving   the 
Philippines in  1925,  he took charge of  St.  Michael's Mission, Seattle, but gave 
up  his Episcopal ministry and entered the Roman Catholic Church, in which, 
after his wife's death, he was ordained at the age of 70.  He died in Hammond, 
Indiana, in 1944, leaving no children.

2  New York, n.d. [1939?], p. 41.

3 "Sagada Report," Journal of the Ninth Annual Convocation of the Missionary  
District of Philippine Islands (Manila, igia), p. 64.

4 "An Opti­Pessimistic Outlook," Spirit o f Missions, LXXX (November 1915), 753­
54.

5 Blanche E. Masse, "Sagada Report," Journal of the Eighteenth Annual  
Convocation of the Missionary District of Philippine Islands (Manila, 1924), p. 
58.

6  S. C. Brock, "Work at Sagada" (letter to the Editor), The Living Church, LXXIII 
(Sept. 5, 1925), 617.

7 "Sagada Report,"  Journal of the Third Annual Convocation of the Missionary  
District of Philippine Islands (Manila, 1906), p. 44.

8  Letter from John W. Wood to the Rt. Rev. Charles Henry Brent, Jan. 2, 1919, in 
the Archives of the Church Historical Society, Austin, Texas.

9 Letter to Bishop Mosher, July 9, 1924, in the Archives of the Church Historical 
Society, Austin, Texas.

l0 Letter to Bishop Mosher, Sept. 24, 1924,  included in "Report of the Committee 
on   Sagada   to   the   National   Council,"   in   Archives   of   the   Church   Historical 

12
STUDIES IN PHILIPPINE CHURCH HISTORY©1969.   Edited by Gerald H. Anderson

Society, Austin, Texas.

13