Sie sind auf Seite 1von 156

Important Archaeological Sites

of Medieval Bangladesh

Presented By

Prof. Dr. Ashit Boran Paul


Department of Archaeology
Jahangirnagar University
Savar, Dhaka – 1342.
Archaeological Sites of Medieval Bangladesh

 The remains of the archaeological sites bear ample testimony to


the fact that the art of building was practiced in Bengal from
very early period of her history. The development of the building
art in Bengal of medieval period has been dealt in the followings

 Change not only in the political sphere, but also in the social and
cultural arena
 Within a few years the Muslims reached Bengal and their rule,
started by Bakhtiyar Khalji in around 1204 ACE, brought about a
change not only in the political sphere, but also in the social and
cultural arena.

 The factors that had molded the society and culture so long
2

were, in general term, Hindu, and Indian.


Archaeological Sites of Medieval Bangladesh

 But now it was not only Indian Hindu but also Middle
Eastern Muslim. With the coming of the Muslims-
Arabs, Persians and Afghans- change came in all
spheres of life combining local and Muslim elements,
and hence defined as „Indo-Islamic‟ or „lndo-Muslim‟.

 What was seen in Bengal during this period was not


only Indo-Muslim in general, but also local in
particular, a style characterized by Hindu-Buddhist
features of local origin in combination with Muslim
elements. 3
Archaeological Sites of Medieval Bangladesh

 Monuments located at divisional headquarters


 The monuments that survive today of the independent
periods are all seen in their metropolises or divisional
headquarters, signifying that architecture was then a
subject of royal patronage.

 Of the cities and towns where such monuments survive mention


may be made of Gaur-Lakhnauti, Pandua-Firuzabad, Mahmudabad,
Sonargaon, Khalifatabad and Bagha, all of which were important
administrative centres. Small but archaeologically important
mosques in places such as Sura, Kusumba, Sailkupa, Navagram,
Masjidbari, Rampal, etc. suggest that these places were at one
time Centres of smaller administrative units or Bazaars.
Archaeological Sites of Medieval Bangladesh

The historical entry gate to Gaur


Archaeological Sites of Medieval Bangladesh

Part of a foundation inscription in the name of Sultan Yusufshah, 1477 ACE


Archaeological Sites of Medieval Bangladesh

Firoj Minar at Gaur


Archaeological Sites of Medieval Bangladesh

Gaur-Lakhnauti
Archaeological Sites of Medieval Bangladesh

Pandua
Archaeological Sites of Medieval Bangladesh
 Mughal architecture in Bengal was different from Sultanate architecture
 The Mughals in Bengal, on the other hand, like their masters
in northern India, were the direct descendants of the
Mongol-Timurid race of Central Asia and Persia, and were
sent as viceroys to represent the Localities and their rule.
They were mostly relatives of the emperors or their
confidants.

 One important feature of the period was that not only did
the Mughals erect buildings of their own choice then but
Hindus also erected temples, a large number of which still
are surviving in the country. Not that temple was not
erected during the rule of the independent sultans, some of
10

whom are known to have been extremely secular.


Archaeological Sites of Medieval Bangladesh

11

Timur - Foreignsic facial reconstruction


Archaeological Sites of Medieval Bangladesh

 Patronization of Zamindars
 During the rule of the Mughals, the patronization of
Zamindars, both Muslim and Hindu alike, along with the
time factor, must have contributed to the survival of
Hindu temple buildings.

 Since temple architecture and temples have been dealt


with separately, suffice it to mention here that some of
the important surviving examples are the Dhakeshwari
temple (mostly modernized form) at Dhaka, Jod Bangla
Temple at Pabna (early 17th c), Kantanagar temple in
Dinajpur (I752), Govinda and Siva temples at Puthia (early
12

19th c).
Archaeological Sites of Medieval Bangladesh

13

Dhakeshwari Temple
Archaeological Sites of Medieval Bangladesh

14

Jod Bangla Temple at Pabna


Archaeological Sites of Medieval Bangladesh

15

Kanta Nagar Temple


Archaeological Sites of Medieval Bangladesh

16

Govinda and Siva temples at Puthia


Sonargaon

17

Map of Sonargaon
Sonargaon

 Location of Sonargaon
 Sonargaon is a rich ancient archaeological and cultural site
of Bangladesh. The ancient territory of Sonargaon was
originally bounded on the east by the Meghna, south and
west by the Dhaleswari and Sitalakshya respectively, and
north by the Brahmaputra.

 To demarcate the site of the territory in modern


geographical context it may roughly correspond to the
tract of land between the Sitalakshya and the Meghna now
constituting the district of Narsingdi and the major part of
Narayanganj district. 18
Sonargaon

 Capital of the Independent Sultanat of Bengal


founded by Fakhruddin Mubarak Shah.
 The most glorious period of Sonargaon began in
1338 ACE when it emerged to have been the
capital of the earliest Independent Sultanat of
Bengal founded by Fakhruddin Mubarak Shah.

 Sonargaon continued to maintain this status


till the fall of the house of Fakhruddin in the
hands of Shamsuddin Iliyas Shah in 1352 ACE.
19
Sonargaon

Bara Sardar Bari, Sonargaon


Sonargaon

21
Ruins of Sonargaon Palace
Sonargaon

 Panam was the capital during the Hindu rulers


 The site of the city is lying about 27 kilometers almost southeast of
Dhaka city. The area now known as Panam in Sonargaon, about 2.5
kilometers to the north of the Dhaka-Chittagong highway at
Mograpara point, is said to have been the site of the capital city
during the Hindu rule.

 The Hindu capital city, presumably comprising the area between


Panam and Khasnagar, was not altogether abandoned during Muslim
rule, and perhaps constituted the place of residence of the early
Muslim governors.

 Sonargaon developed into a commercial metropolis


 By the second quarter of the 14th century Sonargaon developed into a
commercial metropolis; seafaring boats could easily reach Sonargaon from west
Sonargaon

 Textile manufacturing centre: Muslin


 Muslin produced in Sonargaon, especially its finest variety called
Khasa, had a worldwide reputation. With the loss of political status
in the second decade of the 17th century Sonargaon gradually lost its
commercial importance as well.

 Sonargaon developed into a seat of Islamic learning


 Sonargaon developed into a seat of Islamic learning under the versatile scholar
Maulana Sharfuddin Abu Tawwama of Bokhara who came to Sonargaon probably
in 1270 ACE and established there a Khanka and a Madrasa wherein all branches
of Islamic learning as well as secular sciences were taught and studied.

 Sharfuddin Yahya Maneri, the celebrated sufi scholar of Bihar, was a product of
this Madrasa. The present Dargabari in Mograpara is possibly the site of that
centre of learning.
Sonargaon

24

Tomb of Sharfuddin Yahya Maneri


Sonargaon

25

Old Building of Sonargaon


Sonargaon

Ancient Panam city Before conservation


Sonargaon

27

Ancient Panam city after conservation


Sonargaon

Old building of Sonargaon and Panamnagar


Sonargaon

Old building of Sonargaon and Panamnagar


Sonargaon

Ancient House at Panamnagar


Sonargaon

31
Ruins of Sonargaon Palace
Sonargaon

 The Archaeological remains at Sonargaon


 The remains of the city of Sonargaon are not found in a
well-defined composition. There is no remains now in
Sonargaon that can definitely be ascribed to the Hindu
capital city except a deep muddy stagnant canal
surrounding the site which appears to have originally
been a moat for the protection of the city.

 The existing remains are a few medieval buildings, mostly


religious, and belonging to the Sultanate and Mughal
periods, some Mughal bridges and a few residential
buildings of the colonial period.
Sonargaon
 The remains, within the Sonargaon Upazila, on the northern side of the
Dhaka-Chittagong highway are:

 1. The Khasnagar Dighi,


 2. Company Kuthi (Neel Kuthi) at Dalalpur,
 3. Tomb of Pagla Shah at Habibpur,
 4. Goaldi Mosque (1519),
 5. Abdul Hamid Mosque (1433-36),
 6. Shah Langar‟s Dargah at Muazzampur,
 7. Krori Bari at Aminpur,
 8. Aminpur Math,
 9. Damodardighi Math,
 10. Misripura Math,
 11. Math at Mather Pukur Par,
 12. Residential buildings at Panamnagar and
 13. Sardar Bari (1901) at Isapur. 33
Sonargaon

34

Aminpur Math, Sonargaon


Narayangonj

Bandar Shahi Mosque (1481) at Bandar


Sonargaon

Panam city
36
Sonargaon

Panam city
Sonargaon

Panam city 38
Sonargaon

39
Goaldi Mosque at Sanargaon
Sonargaon

Besides, on the southern side of the Dhaka-Chittagong highway


there are some architectural remains is located. These are:
 1. Dargabari complex with the Dargah building,
 2. Madrasa building,
 3. Fath Shah‟s Mosque (1484),
 4. Nahbat Khana,
 5. Grave of Sharfuddin Abu Tawwama (d 1300),
 6. Tomb of Saiyid Ibrahim Danishmand,
 7. Tomb of Saiyid Arif-billah,
 8. Tomb of Saiyid Muhammad Yusuf and the Tomb
of Munna Shah Darwesh. 40
Sonargaon

 The other remains belonging to this southern group are:


 1. Damdama at Mograpara,
 2. Tomb of Ghiyasuddin Azam Shah at Shah Chilapur,
 3. Tomb of Ponkai Diwana at Gohatta,
 4. Panch Pir Dargah and Mosque at Bhagalpur,
 5. Yusufganj Mosque, and Sheikh Saheb Mosque at Darugola.

 The remains in Bandar upazila are:


 1. Bandar Shahi Mosque (1481) at Bandar proper,
 2. Baba Saleh Mosque (1505) and Tomb of Baba Saleh (d 1506) at Salehnagar,
 3. Bandar Math,
 4. Sonakanda Fort (17th century),
 5. Dewanbagh Mosque (16th century) at Dewanbagh and
 6. Kadam Rasul at Nabiganj.

The historic city of Sonargaon survives only in name. Sonargaon lost its
41

eminence with the rise of Dhaka, and by the second half of the 19th century.
Rajshahi
 During the ancient period Rajshahi region was a part of the
Pundranagar of Bengal. The capital of Vijay Sena, the king who led
military operations in Sri Lanka and Southeast Asia was located 9
miles to the west of Rajshahi town. In medieval period it was
known as “Rampur Boalia”.
 Present Rajshahi district played an important role during the
various dynastic periods.

 During the British period it was dominated by various Rajas,


Maharajas and Zamindars. There are many archaeological sites is
located in Rajshahi district. Among the sites the important is as
follows:
Rajshahi
Bagha Mosque
Bagha area, about 25 miles east of Rajshahi is now
a isolated village full of ancient remains belonging
to the saint Hazrat Maulana Shah Muzzam Daula and
his descendants.

In the locality of this ruins stands the ancient


mosque within an enclosed compound, entered
through two old arched gateways from the north to
south.
43
Rajshahi
 Bagha Mosque
The mosque was built on the western bank of a
fairly large tank within a brick-walled compound,
48.77m square. The mosque compound could be
entered by two old arched gateways-

0ne on the north and the main one on the south


comprising a simple oblong curved structure with a
tower on either side. This brick-built mosque now
is a protected monument. It was built in 1523 ACE
by Nushrat Shah, Son of Alauddin Husain Shah.
44
Rajshahi

Ground plan of Bagha Mosque


Rajshahi

Elevation of Bagha Mosque


Rajshahi

Bagha Mosque, Rajshahi


Rajshahi

Another view of Bagha Mosque 48


Rajshahi

 Kusumba Mosque
 Kusumba Mosque is named after the village of
Kusumba, under the Manda upazila of Naogaon
district of greater Rajshahi, on the west bank of
the river Atrai.

 It is inside a walled enclosure with a


monumental gateway that has standing spaces
for guards. The inscription tablet in Arabic
dating the building to 966 AH (1558-59 ACE) is
fixed over its eastern central entrance.
Rajshahi

50

Kusumba Mosque ground plan


Rajshahi

Front view of Kusumba Mosque


Rajshahi
The mosque has a rectangular plan with three bays and two
aisles, three entrances on the east and two each on the
north and south sides.

The central mihrab is projected in the west. The mihrabs


have elaborate stone carving. They have cusped arches
crowned with Kalasa (water pot) motifs, supported on
complexly carved stone pillars, which have projections and
tasseled decorations hanging from chains. Bunches of
grapes and vines curve in an almost bending manner on the
mihrab frames, and kalasas, tendrils and rosettes are
reduced to dots.
Rajshahi

Central mihrab of the Kusumba Mosque


Rajshahi

54
Auto Cad Illustration of Kusumba Mosque
Rajshahi

Darasbari Mosque Chapai Nowabgonj


It is one of the magnificent brick
mosques of the Sultani period located
at Shibgonj in Chapai Nowabgonj
district.

It was built during the reign of Sultan


Yusuf Shah in 1479 ACE.
Rajshahi

Darasbari Mosque Chapai Nowabgonj, 1479 ACE


Rajshahi

Darasbari Mosque Chapai Nowabgonj, 1479 ACE


Rajshahi

Darasbari Mosque Chapai Nowabgonj, 1479 ACE


Rajshahi

Darasbari Mosque Chapai Nowabgonj, 1479 ACE


Rajshahi

Darasbari Mosque Chapai Nowabgonj, 1479 ACE


Rajshahi

Darasbari Mosque Chapai Nowabgonj, 1479 ACE


Rajshahi

Darasbari Mosque Chapai Nowabgonj, 1479 ACE


Rajshahi

Darasbari Mosque Chapai Nowabgonj, 1479 ACE


Rajshahi

Darasbari Mosque Chapai Nowabgonj, 1479 ACE


Rajshahi

Darasbari Mosque Chapai Nowabgonj, 1479 ACE


Rajshahi

Darasbari Mosque Chapai Nowabgonj, 1479 ACE


Rajshahi

Darasbari Mosque Chapai Nowabgonj, 1479 ACE


Rajshahi

Darasbari Mosque Chapai Nowabgonj, 1479 ACE


Rajshahi

 Chota Sona Mosque, Gaur


It is one of the graceful
monuments of Saltani period of
Bengal. It is located in Chanpai
Nowabgonj District.

It was built by Wali Mohammad


during the reign of Sultan Alauddin
Hossain Shah in 1493-1519 ACE.
Rajshahi

Chota Sona Mosque, Gaur, 15th century


Rajshahi

Chota Sona Mosque, Gaur, 15th century


Rajshahi

Chota Sona Mosque, Gaur, 15th century


Rajshahi

Chota Sona Mosque, Gaur, 15th century


Rajshahi

Chota Sona Mosque, Gaur, 15th century


Rajshahi

Chota Sona Mosque, Gaur, 15th century


Rajshahi

Chota Sona Mosque, Gaur, 15th century


Rajshahi

Chota Sona Mosque, Gaur, 15th century


Rajshahi

Chota Sona Mosque, Gaur, 15th century


Rajshahi

Chota Sona Mosque, Gaur, 15th century


Rajshahi

Darasbari Mosque Chapai Nowabgonj, 1479 ACE


Rajshahi

Chota Sona Mosque, Gaur, 15th century


Rajshahi

Chota Sona Mosque, Gaur, 15th century


Rajshahi

Chota Sona Mosque, Gaur, 15th century


Rajshahi

Chota Sona Mosque, Gaur, 15th century


Rajshahi

Chota Sona Mosque, Gaur, 15th century


Rajshahi

Chota Sona Mosque, Gaur, 15th century


Rajshahi

Chota Sona Mosque, Gaur, 15th century


Rajshahi

Chota Sona Mosque, Gaur, 15th century


Bagerhat
 Khalifatabad is identified with the modern town of
Bagerhat on the bank of the river Bhairab. The area of
Khalifatabad was first brought under the Muslims by a ruler
(muqta) titled Khan Jahan (d 1459 ACE) in the reign of the
later Iliyas Shahi Sultan Nashiruddin Shah (1436-1459 ACE).

 The town was renamed Khalifatabad-Badarpur in 1535 ACE


by Sultan Ghiyasuddin Mahmud Shah. Khan Jahan was a
great builder. He founded some townships, built mosques,
madrasas and sarais, roads, highways and bridges,
excavated a large number of Dighis in the districts of
greater Jessore and Khulna.
Bagerhat
 Shatgumbad Mosque
 It is the largest of the Sultanate mosques in
Bangladesh and one of the most impressive Muslim
monuments in the whole of the Indian
subcontinent.

 Literally the term „Shatgumbad‟ means sixty


domes, but in reality the mosque has eighty-one
domes in total-seventy-seven over the roof and
four smaller ones over the four corner towers.
Bagerhat

Ground plan
Bagerhat

Shatgumbad Mosque, Begerhat


Bagerhat

Inside of the Khan Jahan Mosque


Bagerhat

Masjidkurer Mosque
It is situated at Masjidkurer, a small village on the
eastern bank of the Kobadak under Koyra upazila of
Khulna district. It is now a protected monument of
the Directorate of Archaeology, Bangladesh.

The mosque is a brick-built multi-domed square


structure. The four exterior angles have been
traditionally emphasised with solid circular corner
towers which rise upto the roof level.
Bagerhat

Ground plan of Masjidkurer Mosque


Bagerhat

Masjidkurer Mosque
Bagerhat

Nine Dome Mosque, Bagerhat


Bagerhat

Singer Mosque, Bagerhat


Bagerhat

Jindapir Mosque and tomb Complex, Bagerhat


Bagerhat

Khan Jahan Mosque and tomb Complex, Bagerhat


Barobazar

Barobazar is situated on the north bank of


river Bhairab. The archaeological ruins of
Barobazar lie in Kaliganj upazila under the
district of Jhinaidah.

It is 16 km north of Jessore district town‟


and 12 km south of Kaliganj Bazar.
101
Barobazar
Barobazar
Barobazar

Terracotta design of Jorbangla Mosque, Barobazar


Barobazar

Ground plan of Jorbangla Mosque


Barobazar

There are numerous ancient tanks and cultural


mounds lying scattered in and around
Barobazar within a radius of about 3 to 4 km.

They are concentrated on the north bank of


the river and to the west of the present
highway. The archaeological remains of
Barobazar are as follows:
Barobazar

Jorbangla Mosque
Barobazar

 Jorbangla Mosque
 Jorbangla Mosque is located in the village Belat
Daulatpur. It is 1 km west of Barobazar Bus station.
To the north of the mosque there is a large‟ tank
locally called Jorbangla dighi.

 The square mosque (prayer chamber). The mosque is


provided with four‟ octagonal corner towers. The
western wall has three mihrabs. The multifold arched
mihrabs are richly decorated with floral and
geometric designs.
Barobazar

 Pirpukur Mosque
 Pirpukur Mosque a rectangular mound, is situated in
village Belat Daulatpur. It stands to the west of
Pirpukur Dighi.

 Excavation in 1994 revealed the ruins of a fifteen


domed mosque measuring internally 18.40m N-S x
10.85m E-W. All the domes disappeared and only the
walls survived up to certain height. The mosque has
ornate octagonal towers at its four corners. The
towers have horizontal bands at regular intervals.

Barobazar

 Noongola Mosque
 The site of Noongola mound is situated in Hasilbag village
in Barobazar union. It lies about 200 m south-east of the
Pirpukur mound.

 To the east of the mound there is a large oblong tank


known as Noongola Dighi. The excavation in 1994 unveiled
the ruins of a single domed square mosque measuring
internally 6.80 m each side and externally 9.18m.
Antiquities recovered from the site include ornamental
bricks, crowries, earthen pots, saucers, terracotta beads
and toys.
Barobazar

Ground plan of Pirpukur Mosque and Front view of the Mosque


Barobazar

Pirpukur Mosque
Barobazar

Noongola Mosque
Barobazar
Monahar Mosque
The oblong mound is situated in Sadikpur
Mouza. It lays 150m south of the Galakata
Mound. It measures 30m N-S x 25m E-W.

The excavation revealed the remains of an


oblong mosque measuring externally 26.9 m N-S
and 19.40m E-W. The building has 24 free
standing square brick pillars. The gap between
one pillar to the other on an average is 2.65m.
Barobazar

Pathagar Mosque
Pathagar Dhibi, a small and low mound, is located in
Mithapukur Mauza. It is 200m north of the Barobazar-
Hashimpur Road and on the western bank of a tank locally
known as Pathagar dighi. The oblong mound roughly
measures 15m N-S and 12m E-W.

Excavation at the site unearthed the structural remains of a


square mosque which measures 6.9 x 6.9m externally. The
walls are 1.38 m thick. Its upper part was damaged heavily.
The ruins survive up to the height of 2.10 mm.
Barobazar

 Sukur Mallik Mosque


The site is situated in Hasilbag mouza. It is about
300m south of Barobazar. The conical mound roughly
measures 12m x 10m. Its crest is about 3m high from
the surrounding agricultural land.

Excavation carried out in 1996 has exposed the ruins


of a single domed mosque measuring 6m X 6m
externally with 1.12m thick wall. The dome was
collapsed and the walls survived up to certain
height. It has four octagonal corner towers which
survive up to certain height.
Barobazar

Ground plan of Manohar Dighi Mosque


Manohar Dighi Mosque
Barobazar

Jahaj-Ghata
The site is situated on the northern bank of the river
Bhairab in the village Hasil Bag. Excavation carried out here
exposed the ruins of an oblong structure.

The structure is not uniform in shape. The structure can be


divided into two sections, western and eastern. The eastern
section is an open yard or platform and the western one
appears to be a room from the existence of four walls only
up to the floor level. The platform has a brick paved floor.
According the remains on the bank of the river it can be
hypothesized that this was a port of the city
Muhammadabad.
Barobazar

Jahaj-Ghata
Barobazar

Gorar Mosque (14th c)


Barobazar

Golakata Mosque(14th c)
Barobazar

Sukur Mallik Mosque (14th c)


Barobazar

Satgachia 35 dome Mosque


Barobazar

The Pathagar Mosque of Mithapukur, Barobazar, 14th Cent.


Dhaka
Dhaka the capital of Bangladesh has a fairly long
history. Its existence in the Pre-Muslim period cannot
be ascertained with certainty. But it grew as an urban
centre in the Sultanate period and rose into
prominence in the Mughal period when it enjoyed the
position of a provincial capital.

As a provincial capital of medieval Bengal, Dhaka


played an important role to establish several
architecturally monuments. The archaeological and
historical sites of Dhaka can be discuss under the
Dhaka
Satgumbad Mosque
 Satgumbad Mosque located in the
Muhammadpur area of Dhaka city, the
building exhibits seven domes- three
over the prayer chamber and four over
the corner towers. Hence it is known
as Satgumbad Mosque.
Dhaka

Ground plan, Satgumbad Mosque


Dhaka

The mosque occupies the western end of a


slightly raised masonry plinth 26.82m by
25.60m, which is enclosed by a low wall with
a gateway in the middle of the eastern side.

This arched gateway with flanking


ornamental towers is exactly in alignment
with the central doorway of the mosque
proper.
Dhaka
Dhaka
 Armanitola Mosque
Armanitola Mosque stands a little away to the east
of the well-known Star Mosque in the Armanitola
locality of old Dhaka. The building has suffered
much due to a series of repair and extension works
in the early 1980s.

A double-storeyed masonry veranda has been added


in the east. On the outside, along the north wall of
the mosque, are built two small rooms, now being
used by the Imam of the mosque.
Dhaka
 Armanitola Mosque
The mosque is now completely devoid of its original
ornamentation and is now covered with plaster and
white washed. The only mihrab is adorned with
pieces of modern cut tiles of China.

There was a Persian inscription over the central


doorway, now preserved in the office of the
Department of Archaeology, Bangladesh.

The inscription records its construction in 1716


ACE.
Dhaka

Ground Plan, Armanitola Mosque


Dhaka

Allakuri Mosque
Allakuri Mosque located about half a kilometre to the
southeast of the famous Satgumbad Mosque in the
Mohammadpur area of Dhaka city.

The building was in a highly dilapidated condition


until it began to be repaired from time to time by the
local people.

Tin-shaded extensions have been added on all sides,


excepting the Qibla side.
Dhaka

Allakuri Mosque, Dhaka


Dhaka

Islam Khan‟s Mosque


Islam Khan‟s Mosque is located at Sayid Aulad
Hosen Lane, in old Dhaka and can be
approached from the Islampur road.

The original brick built mosque (internally


10.06m X 4.11m) had three entrances in the
east and only one on the north and south sides,
the latter two now converted into windows.
136
Dhaka

Islam Khan‟s Mosque


There are four octagonal towers in the
exterior angles of the mosque, which rise high
above the roof and terminate in solid kiosks
and cupolas with kalasa finials.

There are three mihrabs in the Qibla wall, of


which the central one is semi-octagonal and
the side ones are of a shallow rectangular type.
Dhaka

Ground Plan of Islam Khan‟s Mosque


Dhaka

 Farrukh Siyar Mosque


 Farrukh Siyar Mosque also called Lalbagh Shahi
Mosque is located within a few yards of the
southern gate of the Lalbagh Fort at Dhaka. This is
the largest Mughal mosque in Bangladesh, capable
of accommodating some 1500 devotees at a time.

 Built by Prince Farrukh Siyar between 1703 ACE and


1706 ACE.There is a single semi-octagonal mihrab
inside in the centre of the Qibla wall, now widened
and completely modernised. 139
Dhaka

Site plan of Lalbagh Fort


Dhaka

Lalbagh Fort Mosque


Dhaka

 Khwaja Ambar‟s Mosque


Khwaja Ambar‟s Mosque is located in the Karwan Bazar area
of Dhaka city on the eastern side of Kazi Nazrul Islam
Avenue, which was formerly the Mughal Trunk Road built by
Subahdar Mir Jumla.

The mosque has retained two inscriptions - one over the


central mihrab contains a verse from the Holy Quran and
the other over the central doorway records the erection of
a mosque, a well and a bridge in 1680 ACE by Khwaja
Ambar, the head eunuch of Subahdar Shaista Khan.
Dhaka
Dhaka

Khawja Shahbaj Mosque (1679 ACE)


Dhaka

Musa Khan Mosque (17th cent.)


Dhaka

Mridha Mosque (1806 ACE)


Dhaka

Baba Adam Shaheed Mosque, Munshigonj, 1483 ACE.


Dhaka

Gateway of Kadam Rasul


Dhaka

Bandar shah Mosque Narayanganj


Dhaka

Hajigonj Fort, Narayanganj


It is unique structure of the Mughal period. Mir
Jumla built this fort on the bank of river
Shitalakhaya, Narayangonj district in 1660 ACE.

The half buried remains of this brick fort is


encircled by water routes to guard against the
recurrent plundering raised of the Portuguese
pirates.
Dhaka

Hajigonj Fort, Narayanganj


Dhaka
Idrakpur Fort, Narayanganj
 The Subadar of Bengal, Mir Jumla built this fort
on the western bank of river Ichiamati in 1660
ACE.

 The half buried remains of this brick fort is


encircled by water routes to guard against the
recurrent plundering raised of the Portuguese
and other pirates.
Dhaka

Idrakpur Fort, Narayanganj


Dhaka

Sonakanda Fort, Narayanganj


 It is a unique Mughal monument. It was built
by Mir Jumla the then Mughal Governor of
Bengal on the eastern bank of river
Shitalakshaya, Narayangonj district in 1660
ACE.

 The half buried remains of this brick fort is


encircled by water routes to guard against
the recurrent plundering raised of the
Portuguese and other pirates.
Dhaka

Sonakanda Fort, Narayanganj


Thank You

156