You are on page 1of 5


Underwriters Laboratories Inc. (UL) is an independent, not-for-profit

product safety testing and certification organization. We have tested
products for public safety for more than a century. Each year, more
than 17 billion UL Marks are applied to products worldwide.

Since our founding in 1894, we have held the undisputed reputation as

the leader in U.S. product safety and certification. Building on our
household name in the United States, UL is becoming one of the most
recognized, reputable conformity assessment providers in the world.
Today, our services extend to helping companies achieve global
acceptance for their products, whether it is an electrical device, a
programmable system or a company's quality process.

What is ITE?
Information Technology Equipment is a broad range of electrical and
electronic equipment including but not limited to:

• Information Technology Equipment

• Telecommunications (Telecom)Equipment
• Information Processing Equipment
• Data Processing Equipment
• Business Equipment
• Multimedia Equipment

ITE Related Standards

To obtain ITE related standards and bulletins, use the following link:

• UL 60950-1, Information Technology Equipment - Safety - Part 1: General

Requirements (most current ANSI version of the standard)
• UL 60950, Safety of Information Technology Equipment, third Edition
• IEC 60950-1
What are the mandatory product safety requirements for Asian countries?

Some Asian countries have their own regulatory product safety

marks that are mandatory for selected product categories to
enter their respective markets. For example, China launched a
new regulation called the China Compulsory Certification
Scheme (CCC Scheme) in August 2003. The Scheme requires
manufacturers of products subject to compulsory certification to
apply one mark, the new CCC Mark.

Regulated products under the DENAN law in Japan are

categorized as specified products (SPs) and non-specified
products (NSPs). Products falling under the scope of South
Korea’s Electrical Appliance Safety Law, also known as the
Safety Certification Scheme, require manufacturers to obtain
the mandatory South Korean Safety Mark (EK-mark) prior to
products being placed on the South Korean market. The Taiwan
Bureau of Standards, Metrology and Inspection’s (BSMI) Ministry
of Economic Affairs (MOEA) promulgated the Measures
Governing Registration of Product Certification (RPC) that cover
both electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) and safety
requirements. The Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) also issues
the ISI (Indian Standards Institution) Mark to qualified products
covering practically every industry from agriculture and textiles
to electrical and electronic products.

How can I find out if my product is within the scope of product safety and/or
requirements in specific Asian countries? Where can I get specific requirements
for the
countries mentioned above?

You can check with the designated regulatory body for a country you wish to
access. Please simply contact the Customer Service Representative at the UL
office nearest you. We can provide you with extensive information on getting
international certifications, including those for Asian countries, and assist you in
developing a streamlined Global Conformity Assessment strategy. UL’s local
staff interact daily with product certification organizations worldwide and they
know firsthand about how these organizations work.

What are the new changes in China’s product safety regulations?

The State Administration of the People's Republic of China for Quality

Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine (AQSIQ) is introducing a new Safety
License System implementation requiring mandatory Safety License approval
132 products in 19 categories. The new mandatory China Compulsory
Scheme (CCC Scheme) will be implemented beginning May 1, 2002. The
requires manufacturers of specified products to apply one mark – the new CCC
Mark. Some examples of specified products include audio products, wire and
telecommunications equipment, household appliances, safety glass, motor
tires and fire fighting equipment. The CCC Mark replaces the CCEE and
CCIB/Great Wall Marks. Manufacturers have until August 1, 2003, to transfer
existing certification approval to the new CCC Mark. See CCC Mark for more

What are the requirements for translating technical documents (e.g., manuals,
certificates, etc.) into the local language?

As with any international certification, product labeling and operating

instructions and manuals must be submitted in the local language.

How long does it take to have my products certified for the various regional
Asian markets?

Turnaround time depends greatly on product types, product specifications and

the number of models submitted, as well as an individual country’s regulatory
system. However, if you plan to launch your product in multiple markets at one
time, you are advised to have a good plan for obtaining the necessary
certifications during the product’s early developmental stage. Some Asian
countries are member countries of IECEE CB Scheme. In such cases, your
product may only need to be tested once. Your product’s CB Test Certificate and
Test Report can also be applied toward different national product certifications.
UL can assist you in developing an effective customized plan that can reduce
costs and help you meet your product launch dates.

What is the IECEE CB Scheme?

The CB Scheme, established by the International Electrotechnical Committee for

Conformity Testing to Standards for Electrical Equipment (IECEE), provides a
means for facilitating international trade by establishing a means for mutual
acceptance of test reports among safety certification organizations in certain
product categories. The CB Scheme is an international network of product
certification organizations from 42 countries throughout North America, Europe,
Asia, Australia and Africa. Each participating country has one or more
organizations accepted by the IECEE as National Certification Bodies (NCBs).
UL currently has three National Certification Bodies (NCB) in the CB Scheme.
These include : Underwriters Laboratories Inc. for the United States,
Underwriters’ Laboratories of Canada LC for Canada, and UL International
Demko A/S for Denmark in the CB Scheme.

Can I use my CB test report to sell products in Asian countries?

There are seven Asian countries that are member countries of the CB Scheme.
These include China, Japan, South Korea, India, Malaysia and Singapore. You
can use your CB Test Certificate and Test Report issued by one of the
participating countries and any NCBs to obtain national product certifications
from in other participating NCBs in member countries of the Scheme as a result
of investigation audits. In addition to UL’s Asian affiliates, UL offices worldwide
can provide professional advice and help in submitting applications under the

What is the DENAN law in Japan?

The DENAN law (Japan’s Electrical Appliance and Material Safety Law) took
effect April 1, 2001, and was established with the purpose of preventing hazards
and radio interference that might be caused by electrical and electronic products
and components. The new law regulates 454 product types and officially replaces
the former DENTORI law. Underwriters Laboratories Inc. in the United States
and UL International Demko A/S in Denmark are currently the only Conformity
Assessment Bodies (CAB) outside of Japan that are accredited by Japan’s
Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI). As a CAB, UL is authorized
by METI to help manufacturers get the mandatory Japanese Specified Product
PSE Mark, which is required for market access.
How does the DENAN legislation compare to the European CE Marking

Both legislations are the mandatory requirements for products entering into their
respective regions. While the DENAN Specified Product PSE Mark applies only
to products sold in Japan, products regulated under the law are categorized as
Specified Products (SPs) and Non-Specified Products (NPSs). SPs cover
products that require certificates by a METI CAB, while NSPs cover products
that require mandatory compliance but not necessarily via certificates by a
METI-accredited CAB. On the contrary, the CE Marking is a self-affixed
marking that indicates a declaration of compliance with applicable EU
Directives, a common set of mandatory criteria established and widely adopted
by the 18 member countries of the European Economic Area.

My product has a "T" mark approval from the Japanese Government, based on
JET (Japan Electrical Testing Laboratories) test data. Will UL accept this
approval and authorize use of the UL Label?

Underwriters Laboratories has a reciprocal agreement with JET to accept each

other's test data for many product categories. However, the products will have to
be submitted to UL for construction evaluation and UL has the option of
conducting some tests for spot checking. Since some UL requirements are
different it may be necessary to conduct additional tests that have not been
covered by the Japanese requirements.