Sie sind auf Seite 1von 3

Hospitals and nursing schools

Iloilo Mission Hospital School of Nursing (Iloilo City, 1906) It was ran by the Baptist Foreign Mission Society of America. Miss Rose Nicolet, a graduate of New England Hospital for Women and Children in Boston, Massachusetts was the first superintendent for nurses. It moved from its present location to Jaro Road, Iloilo City in 1929. Miss Flora Ernst, an American nurse, took charge of the school in 1942. In April 1944 graduate nurses took the first Nurses Board Examination at the Iloilo Mission Hospital. Saint Pauls Hospital School of Nursing (Manila, 1907) The hospital was established by the Archbishop of Manila, Jeremiah Harty under the supervision of the Sisters of St. Paul de Chartres located in Intramuros. It provided general hospital services. It opened its training school for nurses in 1908, with Mother Melanie as superintendent and Miss Chambers as Principal.

Philippine General Hospital School of Nursing (Manila, 1907) PGH began in 1901 as a small dispensary for Civil officers and Employees in the City of Manila and later grew as a Civil Hospital. In 1906, Mary Coleman Masters, an educator advocated for the idea of training Filipino girls for the profession of nursing with the approval of Government officials, she first opened a dormitory for Girls enrolled at the Philippine Normal Hall and the University of the Philippines. In 1907, with the support of Governor General Forbes and the Director of Health and among others, she opened classes in nursing under the Auspices of the Bureau of Education. Admission was based on an entrance examination. The applicant must have completed elementary education to the seventh grade. Julia Nichols and Charlotte Clayton taught the students nursing subjects. American physician also served as lecturers. In 1910, the Act No. 1976 modified the organization of the school placing it under the supervision of the Department of Health. The Civil Hospital was abolished and the Philippine General Hospital was established. St. Lukes Hospital School of Nursing (Quezon City, 1907) The hospital is an Episcopalian Institution. It began as a small dispensary in 1903. In 1907, the school opened with three girls admitted. These three girls had their first year in combined classes with the PGH School of Nursing and St. Pauls Hospital School of Nursing. Miss Helen Hicks was the first principal. Mrs. Vitaliana Beltran was the first Filipino superintendent of nurses and Dr. Jose Fores was the first medical director of the hospital.

Mary Johnston Hospital and School of Nursing (Manila, 1907) It started as a small dispensary on Calle Cervantes (now Avenida). It was called the Bethany Dispensary and funded by the Methodist Mission for the relief of suffering among women and children. In 1907, Sister Rebecca Parrish together with registered nurses Rose Dudley and Gertude Dreisbach, organized the Mary Johnston School of Nursing. The nurses training course began with three Filipino young girls fresh from elementary as their first students.

Philippine Christian Mission Institute Schools of Nursing The United Christian Missionary Society of Indianapolis, Indiana- a Protestant organization of the disciples of Christ operated three schools of nursing:

Sallie Long Read Memorial Hospital School of Nursing (Laoag Ilocos Norte, 1903)

Mary Chiles Hospital School of Nursing (Manila, 1911) The hospital was established by Dr. WN Lemon in a small house on Azcarraga, Sampaloc, Manila. In 1913, Miss Mary Chiles of Montana donated a large sum of money with which the preset building at Gastambide was bought. The Tuason Annex was donated by Miss Esperanza Tuason, a Filipino Philantropist.

Frank Dunn Memorial Hospital (Vigan Ilocos Sur, 1912) San Juan de Dios Hospital School of Nursing (Manila, 1913) In 1913, through the initaiative of Dr. Benito Valdez, the board of inspectors and the executive board of the hospital passed a resolution to open school of nursing. The school has been run by the Daughters of Charity since then. Sister Taciana Tinanes was the first Directress of the School

Emmanuel Hospital School of Nursing (Capiz, 1913) In 1913, the American Baptist Foreign Mission Society sent Dr. PH Lerrigo to Capiz for the purpose of opening a hospital. Miss Rose Nicolet assisted him. The school offered a 3-year training course for an annual fee of Php 100.00. Miss Clara Pedrosa was the first principal Southern Islands Hospital School of Nursing (Cebu, 1918) The hospital was established in 1911 under the Bureau of Health. The school opened in 1918 with Anastacia GironTupas as the orginizer. Miss Visitacion Perez was the first principal

Other Schools of Nursing 1.Zamboanga General Hospital School of Nursing (1921) 2.Chinese General Hospital School of Nursing (1921) 3.Baguio General Hospital School of Nursing (1923) 4.Manila Sanitarium Hospital and School of Nursing (1930) 5.St. Paul School of Nursing in Iloilo City (1946) 6.North General Hospital and School of Nursing (1946) 7.Siliman University School of Nursing (1947) T he FIRST Colleges of Nursing in the Philippines University of Santo Tomas-College of Nursing (1946) In its first year of existence, its enrolees were consisted of students from different school of nursing whose studied were interrupted by the war. In 1947, the Bureau of Private Schools permitted UST to grant the title Graduate Nurse to the 21 students who were of advance standing from 1948 up to the present. The college has offered excellent education leading to a baccalaureate degree. Sor Taciana Trinanes was its first directress. Presently, Associate Professor Glenda A. Vargas, RN, MAN serves as its Dean. Manila Central University-College of Nursing (1947) The MCU Hospital first offered BSN and Doctor of Medicine degrees in 1947 and served as the clinical field for practice. Miss Consuelo Gimeno was its first principal. Presently, Professor Lina A. Salarda, RN, MAN, EdD serves as its Dean.

University of the Philippines Manila-College of Nursing (1948) The idea of opening the college began in a conference between Miss Julita Sotejo and UP President. In April 1948, the University Council approved the curriculum, and the Board of Regents recognized the profession as having an equal standing as Medicine, Engineering etc. Miss Julita Sotejo was its first dean. Presently, Professor Josefina A. Tuason, RN, MAN, DrPh is once more reappointed as the Dean of UP Manila College of Nursing
Tags: Alms, Causation Of Disease, Early Filipinos, Evil Spirits, Franciscan Order, Francisco De Sande,Gunpowder, Health Care During The Spanish Regime, History Of Nursing In The Philippines, Hospital De Aguas Santas, Indios, Juan Clemente, Leprosy Hospital, Mangkukulam, Midwife, Midwives, Religious Orders, San Lazaro Hospital, Spanish King, Superstitious Belief

1919 The 1st Nurses Law (Act#2808) was enacted regulating the practice of the nursing profession in the Philippines Islands. It also provided the holding of exam for the practice of nursing on the 2nd Monday of June and December of each year. 1920 1st board examination for nurses was conducted by the Board of Examiners, 93 candidates took the exam, 68 passed with the highest rating of 93.5%-Anna Dahlgren theoretical exam was held at the UP Amphitheater of the College of Medicine and Surgery. Practical exam at the PGH Library. 1921 Filipino Nurses Association was established (now PNA) as the National Organization Of Filipino Nurses PNA: 1st President Rosario Delgado Founder Anastacia Giron-Tupas 1953 Republic Act 877, known as the Nursing Practice Law was approved.

JULITA V. SOTEJO DEAN College of Nursing at UP